Canucks News, Rumours, & Fantasy GM | Hold up, let ‘im cook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I suggested offering him the Mayfield deal. He'd play the last year of that contract at the same age Ian Cole will be next year. He's a far better skater than cole ever was and built to hold up IMO. If the coaches think he has upside, i wouldn't hesitate.

I hate the Mayfield contract. Only way I'd offer to a player like Zadorov is to get the cap hit really low. Like 2.5m low.

• Haha
Reactions: stampedingviking

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
While true they are also signed the last time there wasn't a flat cap: older contract, lower cap but expected rise vs new contract in a flat cap. I'm guessing that Milstein and Zadorov are banking on GMs going crazy with the sudden and, expected, continuous rise and want to cash-in.
I think this is more-or-less Milstein's explicit strategy, and he's shown that with some other clients like Gavrikov and Kuzmenko - hoping they get wild overpays once the cap has risen and teams have more flexibility.

Reactions: TruGr1t and Vector

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I know a lot of people blasted Engvall's contract this off season but I honestly think it's a shrewd signing by Lou, and something we should consider. Part of what drove Zadorov out of Calgary was him wanting term while I imagine players like Lafferty may want to put in some roots after being bounced around to four different teams three years.

Flex a much longer term for them if it keeps the salary down. I doubt many teams would offer Lafferty say, six years. Same with Zadorov. Getting both at or below 2M and 4M respectively would be fantastic work by Allvin.

Ideally, I'd like to keep Joshua in the mix. And while I like Bluegar just fine. He's definitely the odd man out of the four if we have to cut someone.

Reactions: Flik

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
I hate the Mayfield contract. Only way I'd offer to a player like Zadorov is to get the cap hit really low. Like 2.5m low.
I would hate it too if the guy was playing year one at 31. Zadorov plays year 1 at 29. I guess what matters is whether he's a guy that gets security and the needle in the givophuckmeter points at the ground. He doesn't strike me as that kind of guy. It's risky i guess, but what do you think Tyler Myers earns next year and the year after? I bet he'll get more than $3.0mm for each. I would absolutely not give Z trade protection in the final two years of a longggggggg term contract, and i would structure the deal so he earns less cash in the final years too. Cap could well be into 9 figures by the end of Mayfields deal. I think you're also discounting the tradability of Z in year 6/7 after multiple deep runs and cup wins ;)

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Zadorov has been really good by the eye test. I would assume he’s not as good as what we’ve seen so far; regardless, push to sign him. It’s clear he’s happy here so far..

Reactions: Bgav

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Zadorov has been really good by the eye test. I would assume he’s not as good as what we’ve seen so far; regardless, push to sign him. It’s clear he’s happy here so far..

Much like Pettersson, I doubt he's much interested in talking contract until the summer unless you absolutely blow his socks off, which they won't since the team will likely want a larger sample size as well.

Seems Milstein is swinging for the fences on some of his clients, doubt he's popular in Vancouver for very long.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Much like Pettersson, I doubt he's much interested in talking contract until the summer unless you absolutely blow his socks off, which they won't since the team will likely want a larger sample size as well.

Seems Milstein is swinging for the fences on some of his clients, doubt he's popular in Vancouver for very long.
I know that I saw the Mayfield comparable but the total money in that contract was only 24.5

I wouldn't complain if I saw a deal for Zadorov along the lines of 4.5 for 5 years? Like it's slightly more than I would want him at but uh, it gets the same $ as Mayfield got.

Seems as though Zadorov likes Vancouver too. Meh.

Reactions: Bgav

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I dont think prioritizing a 4/5 D is a very good idea. We just got Carson Soucy for that role at 3.25 x 3. Once he comes back Zadorov should be seen as a rental.

Would rather find a top2/3 vs loading up with term contracts to players approaching 30 that have never been good top4s

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
if you pay all these guys fair contracts this is the roster you've got going forward. i'm not a big cap doomer guy but you need money to improve this roster and they're running out of ways to free it up without starting to jettison core pieces. even if they move garland and kuzmenko and find some top 6 winger for 7-8m and a 3rd liner for a couple mil they still have a bunch of work to do

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Wonder if the Canucks go on a deeper playoff run ( western final ) how many players will look at our situation as the place they wanna play and build around.
Zadorov making 4 million here and being part of a strong contender vs 4.5-5 on a team like Chicago could play a roll
Contenders typically have less room than middling or lesser teams so I dunno hopeful thinking but if they are in a place in their careers where winning means more than earnings we should be counted as one of the landing spots for the dream chasers

Yes the rose coloured glasses are provided by my workplace benefits at no cost to me

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Starting to grossed out at Saravelli again for these idiotic rants about what players should be asking based off 1 year.

I would trade Hronek before paying him 8 million
Isnt he becoming increasingly wtong more often anyway? I dont know

I think the dunn contract is where its at

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Vancouver is the only team in the league that can offer Hronek a spot beside the best LD in the world.

It's gotta shave the $ a bit.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
if you pay all these guys fair contracts this is the roster you've got going forward. i'm not a big cap doomer guy but you need money to improve this roster and they're running out of ways to free it up without starting to jettison core pieces. even if they move garland and kuzmenko and find some top 6 winger for 7-8m and a 3rd liner for a couple mil they still have a bunch of work to do
Agreed. Just because you've assembled a competitive roster, it doesn't mean the job is complete. It's a continuous challenge to identify and acquire value players that outperform their contract. We should (and I think we will) avoid the temptation to re-sign depth players that end up messing up our cap structure just because they're currently doing well.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Isnt he becoming increasingly wtong more often anyway? I dont know

I think the dunn contract is where its at
Yes he certainly is about hot takes to some degree so i take it with a grain of salt but it's increasingly annoying when he's helping these players gain traction from a league wide perspective by throwing these top numbers at the wall. Friedman is guilty of this as well and i get it's part of their jobs but the lack of sustained production attached to these numbers is what irritates me

What happened with Horvat and the Islanders is a classic example of teams getting held hostage by the threat of leaving and if just one team decides to drive the price up or an agent calls your bluff your left with an agonizing situation of getting little or nothing in return for a core player.

I was adamant this past off season we should be trying to sign Hronek long term. If you have the conviction to make a huge deal like that then sign the guy. Now that the Toews situation has unfolded where the sum of the parts and situation has made it ideal for Hronek were not in a great negotiation position.

Yes Dunn is a much more palatable/reasonable number if terms attached. Im not certain that much term is a good idea even as we've never seen what he is without Hughes here and now that were going to free agency (RFA) both have leverage given how the next 50 plus games goes.
When would you trade him?
Idk. He's RFA so not this year. If he's just gonna threaten the QO and walking to UFA then the off season?

Since we didnt sign him prior to the current situation i would wait and see how he handles things like deployment without Hughes, games against contenders, playoffs and how him and his agent treat negotiations and wanting to buy in vs just capitalize on career earnings. If it's all about numbers when the team has clearly set him up as good as possible it's probably a better idea to move him.

Would really suck given the price paid and how well he seems to fit but paying him more than Hughes is no bueno and i would be cautious with term also with Willander coming down the pipeline and Hronek basically turning 28 at the start of whatever UFA years he gets

Reactions: Lindgren and andora

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I saw Guentzel mentioned as a trade candidate. At first glance it ticks a lot of boxes if Vancouver were to go all-in.

— Rutherford and Allvin are very familiar with him.
— Tocchet is very familiar as a coach.
— Has won a Stanley Cup.
— Had been productive in the playoffs.
— Affordable cap-hit this year ($6m) then UFA.
— Would be Petey’s most established winger since Toffoli.

Reactions: Vector

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Yes he certainly is about hot takes to some degree so i take it with a grain of salt but it's increasingly annoying when he's helping these players gain traction from a league wide perspective by throwing these top numbers at the wall. Friedman is guilty of this as well and i get it's part of their jobs but the lack of sustained production attached to these numbers is what irritates me

What happened with Horvat and the Islanders is a classic example of teams getting held hostage by the threat of leaving and if just one team decides to drive the price up or an agent calls your bluff your left with an agonizing situation of getting little or nothing in return for a core player.

I was adamant this past off season we should be trying to sign Hronek long term. If you have the conviction to make a huge deal like that then sign the guy. Now that the Toews situation has unfolded where the sum of the parts and situation has made it ideal for Hronek were not in a great negotiation position.

Yes Dunn is a much more palatable/reasonable number if terms attached. Im not certain that much term is a good idea even as we've never seen what he is without Hughes here and now that were going to free agency (RFA) both have leverage given how the next 50 plus games goes.

Idk. He's RFA so not this year. If he's just gonna threaten the QO and walking to UFA then the off season?

Since we didnt sign him prior to the current situation i would wait and see how he handles things like deployment without Hughes, games against contenders, playoffs and how him and his agent treat negotiations and wanting to buy in vs just capitalize on career earnings. If it's all about numbers when the team has clearly set him up as good as possible it's probably a better idea to move him.

Would really suck given the price paid and how well he seems to fit but paying him more than Hughes is no bueno and i would be cautious with term also with Willander coming down the pipeline and Hronek basically turning 28 at the start of whatever UFA years he gets
agree

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
On an unrelated note, man that Quinn Hughes contract might be the steal of the NHL! At a $7.85 million cap hit looking at what other D are making.
And Jack Hughes at $8 million for 8 years is another.
These guys need better agents, lol!

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I saw Guentzel mentioned as a trade candidate. At first glance it ticks a lot of boxes if Vancouver were to go all-in.

— Rutherford and Allvin are very familiar with him.
— Tocchet is very familiar as a coach.
— Has won a Stanley Cup.
— Had been productive in the playoffs.
— Affordable cap-hit this year ($6m) then UFA.
— Would be Petey’s most established winger since Toffoli.

He's an obvious candidate if the Penguins can't climb back in and aren't able to gain traction on an extension. Curious if their Kuzmenko could be part of a trade. In October, they weren't close on an extension. You'd think he'd make absolute bank on the UFA market.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I dont think prioritizing a 4/5 D is a very good idea. We just got Carson Soucy for that role at 3.25 x 3. Once he comes back Zadorov should be seen as a rental.

Would rather find a top2/3 vs loading up with term contracts to players approaching 30 that have never been good top4s

I 100% agree. Would much rather trade a first plus other futures for a mid twenties number 3 defenseman, and then just build around our top three on a cheap basis.

Starting to grossed out at Saravelli again for these idiotic rants about what players should be asking based off 1 year.

I would trade Hronek before paying him 8 million

They need to try Hronek with someone else other than Hughes for a sizeable period of time. I know it’s hard to not always prioritize winning every game, the best run teams are able to have an eye on the future and make these kind of decisions.

Reactions: sting101 and andora
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad