Canucks News, Rumours, & Fantasy GM | Hold up, let ‘im cook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Rumblings of Phil Kessel signing in Vancouver lol. Played for Tocchet in Phoenix & Allvin/Rutherford in Pittsburgh. Apparently he purchased a house in Vancouver, not sure how I feel about Phil the Thrill this late in his career.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I think the value of Garland will shine through when (if) we're in the playoffs and injuries hit and we're bumping Garland up instead of Aman, Studnicka etc.

Just like Myers vs Bear though it comes down to cap allocation. If he was making what other GM's feel he should be making (3.5M or whatever it is) I think many would be ok with keeping him.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I think the value of Garland will shine through when (if) we're in the playoffs and injuries hit and we're bumping Garland up instead of Aman, Studnicka etc.

Also helps to have offensive production from the 3rd & 4th lines, especially in the playoffs when checking and defensive play increase while power play opportunities and scoring chances decrease.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Rumblings of Phil Kessel signing in Vancouver lol. Played for Tocchet in Phoenix & Allvin/Rutherford in Pittsburgh. Apparently he purchased a house in Vancouver, not sure how I feel about Phil the Thrill this late in his career.

Gonna need to cite the rumour.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Wonder if the Canucks look at moving Mikheyev or Kuzmenko for an upgrade at center.

Trade one or both of them for futures and use the assets and cap space for that to land a big time center. I would love to be able to land Couturier. Move Miller to the wing to fill the winger void and have a center man who can control play against tough comp.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindgren

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Wonder if the Canucks look at moving Mikheyev or Kuzmenko for an upgrade at center.

Trade one or both of them for futures and use the assets and cap space for that to land a big time center. I would love to be able to land Couturier. Move Miller to the wing to fill the winger void and have a center man who can control play against tough comp.

Aside from Brock - the Canucks dont have any scoring wingers and are actually pretty thin at wing. Kuzmenko is probably our second best winger who can score so I dont see them moving him

Petey - Miller - Suter - Bleuger is pretty solid down the middle

If anything Id be looking for a top 6 winger (eg Konecny)

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
With Arizona's recent resurgence, I wonder if they are in the market to bolster their forward group. Garland is a player they are familiar with and could be a good fit as a vet winger in their top 9. Maybe Kerfoot or Bjugstad coming back?

Reactions: theguardianII

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Philly seems to continue making interesting personnel decisions. If I'm Allvin, I'm doing what I can to see if Farabee is available. Haven't caught too many games this year but from years past, he's a got wheels, hockey sense, and he produces at even strength.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I don’t know how to link to respond to a response in the prior thread. I’m kind of old and not super tech savy. Anywho, back to Toronto in transition and Nylander becoming available. Yes they have $34m coming available but that is with 11 players signed. If they spend $10 on Nylander that leaves them $24m for 11 players or just over $2m per. The defence is hot garbage this year and has holes all over is next year. I mean they can sign Nylander, but he is going to have to level up further for them to compete with what’s left on the roster. I think he leaves or Marner is traded.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Philly seems to continue making interesting personnel decisions. If I'm Allvin, I'm doing what I can to see if Farabee is available. Haven't caught too many games this year but from years past, he's a got wheels, hockey sense, and he produces at even strength.
I don't see Philly making meaningful subtractions as long as they're in a playoff spot. if they do falter, I would hope we call about Sean Walker (though i highly doubt they'd move him).

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
I don’t know how to link to respond to a response in the prior thread. I’m kind of old and not super tech savy. Anywho, back to Toronto in transition and Nylander becoming available. Yes they have $34m coming available but that is with 11 players signed. If they spend $10 on Nylander that leaves them $24m for 11 players or just over $2m per. The defence is hot garbage this year and has holes all over is next year. I mean they can sign Nylander, but he is going to have to level up further for them to compete with what’s left on the roster. I think he leaves or Marner is traded.
There is almost no chance he gets moved, or leaves...and they'd be nuts to trade Marner unless the return is a stud defender of a similar age. This summer there are a ton of defenders on expiring deals and a bunch more heading into their last year before hitting UFA. Further cap relief for them coming in 24/25 as Tavares comes off the books. I very much doubt they're going to do anything dramatic unless they fall out of a playoff spot and falter down the stretch. Plenty of money this summer to bring in a second pair and build out the rest of the roster (Though i have little faith that Treliving & Co. will do a good job if last summer is the standard).

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
They are fooked until tavares expires

Reactions: oceanchild

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

Hey I don't mind having him here, dude's very good juju for cup hungry teams.
:laugh:

Reactions: Flik

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
There is almost no chance he gets moved, or leaves...and they'd be nuts to trade Marner unless the return is a stud defender of a similar age. This summer there are a ton of defenders on expiring deals and a bunch more heading into their last year before hitting UFA. Further cap relief for them coming in 24/25 as Tavares comes off the books. I very much doubt they're going to do anything dramatic unless they fall out of a playoff spot and falter down the stretch. Plenty of money this summer to bring in a second pair and build out the rest of the roster (Though i have little faith that Treliving & Co. will do a good job if last summer is the standard).
I agree that they will likely wait out the Tavares contract. Until then they are pretty much hooped with 4 forwards taking up such a huge percentage of the cap. Defense and depth are always going to be their Achilles heel along with goaltending.

Reactions: Jerry the great

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
They need 3 top 4 Dmen jn the off-season. Are they just going to mail it in for the next year when they don’t have a first or a second. Of will they let Tavares and Marner expire, after being hamstrung ? They don’t have much in the way of prospects. It will be interesting to watch, but i think something has to change. That group hasn’t won and they ain’t getting younger.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Aside from Brock - the Canucks dont have any scoring wingers and are actually pretty thin at wing. Kuzmenko is probably our second best winger who can score so I dont see them moving him

Petey - Miller - Suter - Bleuger is pretty solid down the middle

If anything Id be looking for a top 6 winger (eg Konecny)
Brock is not as high scoring 5 on 5 as Hoglander. Garlands stat numbers are better than Brock's.
Canucks will have close to that but more players to sign.
If there was a choice between Marner or Nylander it would have to be a conditional trade. Otherwise they are expensive rentals, they don't really want to leave and have played there a long time.

IF the Canucks did make a deal, lets say Boeser, Garland and Juulsen for Nylander, the added cap space would be worth the trade, maybe even if they had to add more but then more would have to be coming back as well. Nylander could also play center if needed. He has been very streaky in his career. A little like Eriksson, very good in contract years. Could the Canucks have the same salary structure as TO? Petey over 13, Nylander 11, Miller 8 a little top heavy concentrated in 4 players. But then similar to Rutherford/Allvin's Pittsburgh.
They need 3 top 4 Dmen jn the off-season. Are they just going to mail it in for the next year when they don’t have a first or a second. Of will they let Tavares and Marner expire, after being hamstrung ? They don’t have much in the way of prospects. It will be interesting to watch, but i think something has to change. That group hasn’t won and they ain’t getting younger.
They have been playing with 3 starting defence side lined. Is there a price for Hronek? Certainly he has the numbers to warrant a big return. I don't think TO has enough unless it is Nylander and they take another middling player too to even out the cap.

Hard to imagine any kind of trade with them.

Hronek and Boeser for Nylander, one of Robertson or Knies and/or 2024/26 1rst?
Too much?
In theory they get a Norris scoring level defenceman and replacement scoring stats for Nylander.
Both Nylander are on expiring contracts
The added pick and one of the other players is because Hronek is RFA, Nylander could walk and Brock is under for 1 more seasons.

Canucks might be able to sign Nylander for around 10 mil

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Brock is not as high scoring 5 on 5 as Hoglander. Garlands stat numbers are better than Brock's.

If there was a choice between Marner or Nylander it would have to be a conditional trade. Otherwise they are expensive rentals, they don't really want to leave and have played there a long time.

IF the Canucks did make a deal, lets say Boeser, Garland and Juulsen for Nylander, the added cap space would be worth the trade, maybe even if they had to add more but then more would have to be coming back as well. Nylander could also play center if needed. He has been very streaky in his career. A little like Eriksson, very good in contract years. Could the Canucks have the same salary structure as TO? Petey over 13, Nylander 11, Miller 8 a little top heavy concentrated in 4 players. But then similar to Rutherford/Allvin's Pittsburgh.

They have been playing with 3 starting defence side lined. Is there a price for Hronek? Certainly he has the numbers to warrant a big return. I don't think TO has enough unless it is Nylander and they take another middling player too to even out the cap.

Too much?
In theory they get a Norris scoring level defenceman and replacement scoring stats for Nylander.
The added pick and one of the other players is because Hronek is RFA, Nylander could walk and Brock is under for 1 more seasons.

I think if we can sign him we do. I don’t think trading those assets makes sense, especially Hronek. I also don’t think Toronto trades Nylander as I suspect they will go for broke. Which is why I think they may trade Marner so they can do so in the off-season and get some assets back. Boeser or Kuz and Garand would have to go, as the cap increase is gone to other spots.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I think if we can sign him we do. I don’t think trading those assetsT makes sense, especially Hronek. I also don’t think Toronto trades Nylander as I suspect they will go for broke. Which is why I think they may trade Marner so they can do so in the off-season and get some assets back. Boeser or Kuz and Garand would have to go, as the cap increase is gone to other spots.
Boeser and Garland both asked for trades less than 8 months ago, so get them completed.
Then the team would have enough IF they got Nylander for Hronek then the Canucks could sign Tanev and Bear for the combined 7 million available from Cole and Hronek leaving and still save some. They would have enough to pay Nylander around 10 mil and Petey around 12 mil.
Canucks would almost have to make three scoring lines.

IF Kuzmenko plays decently then keep him. He chose to come here, Boeser didn't and asked out ditto with Garland

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria

Too much?

These two teams do not match up for a hockey trade

Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
These two teams do not match up for a hockey trade
Ya I can't really see it either. Really reaching for straws to work one out.
I can see how each could accomplish one but I don't think either comes out ahead.

Hadn't considered trading Hronek before but in a way it makes some sense.
Super high numbers could get a massive return. Far beyond most other defence men traded.
High scoring
Right hand defence
RFA contract
Worth a trailer load.
Very valuable to the Canucks right now for a playoff push so no trade likely
BUT
Just for shits and giggles what do posters think he could be worth in a trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino