Canucks News, Rumours, & Fantasy GM | Hold up, let ‘im cook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Think it was Friedman who brought it up, but Kuzmenko to the Islanders is interesting since these two teams proved they can get a big deal done. Have we heard anything about who would be the target coming back?

No but the last time he linked a Canuck to the Islanders it was Horvat and two days later it happened.

Islanders are such a weird team and target. It would have to be cap neutral trade. There's no way to get any sort of cap relief from them. They have a bunch of defencemen but they are either bottom of the roster guys, on extremely long term contracts, or young guys (Dobson & Romanov). Almost no real prospects to speak of. They do have most of their draft picks.

Maybe Palmieri? But he's undersized, oft-injured, and has a 16 team NTC. Pageau is signed for two more seasons and has fallen off a cliff. Nelson is one of the few forwards that produces for them.

Reactions: m9

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Think it was Friedman who brought it up, but Kuzmenko to the Islanders is interesting since these two teams proved they can get a big deal done. Have we heard anything about who would be the target coming back?
They really don’t have many pieces that improves our team. All their key guys have movement clauses and NTC’s. They’re also on bloated contracts.

It would have to be a cap dump + futures coming back. I don’t really like the Islanders as a trading partner.

Probably Wahlstrom, Dufour, and one of Martin/Clutterbuck. Nelson has 1 more year left at $6M and Palmieri has 1 more year left as well at $5M but both have NTC’s. Islanders are not going to trade Nelson. Palmieri is a middle 6 guy that we have too many of.

Pelech, Pulock, and Mayfield are locked up for 6-7 years with cap. I suppose you could ask for Mayfield considering lower cap (3.7Mx7) which takes him to 38-39 years old. But he’s a bottom pairing defenseman. Pass.

So yeah, Wahlstrom, Dufour, Clutterbuck, and a 2nd round pick would be my ask. Or Wahlstrom, Clutterbuck, and a 1st round pick.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Posters shouldn't be so quick to get Kuzmenko off the team.

I just posted on the media thread but;

Kuzmenko is a second year NHL player, a sophmore and should be getting the same attention that most scoring rookies get their second year, patience, not greasing the skids, magnifying every error in game of mistakes.

The Sophomore Jinx.

Another little factoid.

Kuzmenko chose Vancouver twice to be here, even with the team in turmoil he could have gone to any team, he CHOSE Vancouver.
Then he CHOSE Vancouver a second time, twice.

Boeser asked for a trade but there wasn't enough value for other teams to want him without a sweetener.

Horvat moves on so to increase BB value lets put him in 30 goal scorer Horvat's spot and add to it Kuzmenko's net front spot. This increases BB value now.

Retracted a trade request. Did he? So why couldn't he decide later to want one again? Same team. Only now he get preferential treatment. He already showed his commitment level by wanting out.

So maybe instead of Kuzmenko's trade value, Boeser's should be the topic.

One other subliminal part to trading Kuzmenko, here is a player that asked and wanted to come to Vancouver when he could have gone anywhere to any team.
AND THEN THE TEAM BENCHES HIM AND TRADES HIM AWAY in only his second year in the league!

Do you really think that would not be noted by FA's? Choose the Canucks and get stabbed in the back. This alone might be a very important factor.

Player decides twice as a FA to stay with Canucks at a bargain price only to be treated like crap his second year and discarded to a team he might not have chosen.

Great for the team's reputation.

Sophomore!

Reactions: brock hughes007

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Posters shouldn't be so quick to get Kuzmenko off the team.

I just posted on the media thread but;

Kuzmenko is a second year NHL player, a sophmore and should be getting the same attention that most scoring rookies get their second year, patience, not greasing the skids, magnifying every error in game of mistakes.

The Sophomore Jinx.

Another little factoid.

Kuzmenko chose Vancouver twice to be here, even with the team in turmoil he could have gone to any team, he CHOSE Vancouver.
Then he CHOSE Vancouver a second time, twice.

Boeser asked for a trade but there wasn't enough value for other teams to want him without a sweetener.

Horvat moves on so to increase BB value lets put him in 30 goal scorer Horvat's spot and add to it Kuzmenko's net front spot. This increases BB value now.

Retracted a trade request. Did he? So why couldn't he decide later to want one again? Same team. Only now he get preferential treatment. He already showed his commitment level by wanting out.

So maybe instead of Kuzmenko's trade value, Boeser's should be the topic.

One other subliminal part to trading Kuzmenko, here is a player that asked and wanted to come to Vancouver when he could have gone anywhere to any team.
AND THEN THE TEAM BENCHES HIM AND TRADES HIM AWAY in only his second year in the league!

Do you really think that would not be noted by FA's? Choose the Canucks and get stabbed in the back. This alone might be a very important factor.

Player decides twice as a FA to stay with Canucks at a bargain price only to be treated like crap his second year and discarded to a team he might not have chosen.

Great for the team's reputation.

Sophomore!
1. Tocchet and him don't mesh
2. He's currently benched
3. Wasting $5.5M in cap with another year to go

Atleast Boeser and Garland were playing. Kuz currently is not.

Even on the radio this morning they were speculating the odds of a Kuz trade now is 60/40.

The issue is where does he go and what for which is not easy.

So yes, they could still keep him for now but likely only because they cannot find the right fit.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Sat went from being sceptical that Kuzmenko is traded to giving it a "60/40" chance he's traded based on what he's hearing.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Kuzmenko traded for a goal scoring grinder who can play with Petey
OR
Top 3 defenseman ( we obviously add )

Otherwise keep the guy he is just one bag skate away from being elite

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
They really don’t have many pieces that improves our team. All their key guys have movement clauses and NTC’s. They’re also on bloated contracts.

It would have to be a cap dump + futures coming back. I don’t really like the Islanders as a trading partner.

Probably Wahlstrom, Dufour, and one of Martin/Clutterbuck. Nelson has 1 more year left at $6M and Palmieri has 1 more year left as well at $5M but both have NTC’s. Islanders are not going to trade Nelson. Palmieri is a middle 6 guy that we have too many of.

Pelech, Pulock, and Mayfield are locked up for 6-7 years with cap. I suppose you could ask for Mayfield considering lower cap (3.7Mx7) which takes him to 38-39 years old. But he’s a bottom pairing defenseman. Pass.

So yeah, Wahlstrom, Dufour, Clutterbuck, and a 2nd round pick would be my ask. Or Wahlstrom, Clutterbuck, and a 1st round pick.
Miller's line has become the checking line, out against the other team's top players, Miller has become quite the defensive center, I was surprised and impressed of the change.
Being more of the "checking line" the type of player is important.

The team has a 40 goal scorer sitting around. A player with close playing ties with another top player but not with him right now, this is important.

Last year Horvat scored himself off the team but ended up getting a great return at the TDL. Again important.

Last year Garland and Boeser asked for trades, even their agents couldn't find teams without sweeteners for their clients.

If Horvat could score himself off the team why not Boeser?

Last year the comparisons' were all about Kuz, his scoring and his contract cap hit being superior to Boeser's. That Kuzmenko was a great teammate on and off the ice.
Fans, posters and the media were all Kuzmenko's cheerleader'. Most thought that if Boeser want to go then fine the team saves some of the cap hit.

So here is a different trade scenario.

Trade Boeser, move Kuzmenko back up tp play with Pettersson, which will likely put both their scoring back to the levels it was when playing Pettersson with Kuzmenko, so a no scoring loss.

Trade or promote a winger to player on Miller's checking line, maybe Joshua, Lafferty, Suter, or promote from Abby. Again interesting is that Boeser has only eleven 5 on 5 goals, Hoglander has 10 and Joshua/Lafferty have 8.

Kuzmenko goes back to his net front PP spot and another player get Horvat's bumper spot on the PP. The real important players on the PP are Miller, Pettersson and Hughes/Hronek.

Right now Brock Boeser does not have a trade clause but according to CapF he has one starting in July 1 2024. That could cause an issue.

Besides if the team trades Kuzmenko how would that look for Pettersson? Or any other FA?

Kuzmenko chose Vancouver as his team twice, Boeser has asked out of the team.

Last edited:

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I really don't want to trade Kuz, I rather see him turn things around with the Canucks but I really like the Mantha, Lorio for Kuzmenko trade proposal made earlier in this thread.

The Canucks would add a big body for the Pettersson line, while Lorio is huge and can blast shots from the point.

Reactions: Flik

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I really don't want to trade Kuz, I rather see him turn things around with the Canucks but I really like the Mantha, Lorio for Kuzmenko trade proposal made earlier in this thread.

The Canucks would add a big body for the Pettersson line, while Lorio is huge and can blast shots from the point.

I side note but it's not Lorio. It's Iorio.

Tact

Jul 9, 2006

You sound like Jim Benning

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Even on the radio this morning they were speculating the odds of a Kuz trade now is 60/40.

So yes, they could still keep him for now but likely only because they cannot find the right fit.

Yeah, I'm kind of past whether or not he should get traded. If he does get traded, it will be because the organization has decided he's not going to fit with Tocchet and/or in this system. If he stays here and plays a big role, that's a good scenario too.

Islanders are such a weird team and target. It would have to be cap neutral trade. There's no way to get any sort of cap relief from them. They have a bunch of defencemen but they are either bottom of the roster guys, on extremely long term contracts, or young guys (Dobson & Romanov). Almost no real prospects to speak of. They do have most of their draft picks.

Maybe Palmieri? But he's undersized, oft-injured, and has a 16 team NTC. Pageau is signed for two more seasons and has fallen off a cliff. Nelson is one of the few forwards that produces for them.

I do wonder if Pageau is the guy that could be a fit. Why would you say he's fallen off a cliff? Seemed to put up decent numbers the last two years and is getting praise for his work on the PK this year. Seems kind of ideal as a bottom-six defensive center - albeit maybe a bit redundant with Blueger. Based on his cap hit/term I would expect him to be negative value and you would think the Canucks could get an add coming back. I also don't watch Islanders games at all so would defer where he is or if he would be a good fit to others. I just think he could be the kind of guy this management group would target.

Reactions: alternate

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020

Tocchet and Hall didn't mix, Tocchet and Keller didn't mix, Tocchet and Domi didn't mix, Tocchet and Kessel didn't mix, Tocchet and Dvorak didn't mix, Tocchet and OEL, ???
Are you seeing a trend here?

These are the higher skilled players that either asked outright or the rumours were flying about trade requests away from Tocchet coached teams. All these players did not have good seasons under Tocchet's coaching.

FA's will not want to come here if the Canucks turf Kuzmenko.

If Tocchet wants him gone he has to get Kuzmenko to ask to be traded, which if appears he trying with all his effort to do. Ice time equals points. Line assignment equals roles.

So he assigns a 2nd year player to a role he has never played with the weakest players on the team.
Oh ya, the next 40 goal scorer is just lining up to come here and sign a deal to be misallocated.

Did none of the fans or posters look at his record? Not just that he has never had a winning season as a head coach but the players that leave his teams. Of the outputs, scoring, of players on his teams.

I am a firm believer that a coach tries to make every player valuable not throw them under the bus and give them crap ice time.

Too long shifts, over a minute! Kuz gets roasted BUT 10 other players have multiple shifts over 1 minute each game and not just defencemen or the 2nd period. EP had 2 over 2 minutes.

Tocchet treats everyone fair, ya right, over two months ago Miller was benched for 3 shifts, TWO MONTHS and THREE SHIFTS! But the media talks about it like it was just yesterday to promote this railroading of Kuzmenko.

Do you want players that want to be here, 40 goal scorer's that WANT to be here?
Or do you want players that can't be traded that don't want to be here? That score at the cost of other players.

The reputation of Vancouver Canucks is already one of remaking the loser culture and mess of the front office.
Does it really need a reputation amongst players of unloyalty, two faced and quick to let the media criticize and run players out of town.

Tocchett HAS TO GET KUZMENKO TO ASK TO BE TRADED! So with the media's help they are trying hard to keep public opinion on their side.

Too early for trades, they have to wait until closer to the TDL.
Any trades right now one team may have too much leverage.

Last edited:

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Mangiapane or Lindholm from the Flames.

Put them up front with EP40. Time to go for it

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I do wonder if Pageau is the guy that could be a fit. Why would you say he's fallen off a cliff? Seemed to put up decent numbers the last two years and is getting praise for his work on the PK this year. Seems kind of ideal as a bottom-six defensive center - albeit maybe a bit redundant with Blueger. Based on his cap hit/term I would expect him to be negative value and you would think the Canucks could get an add coming back. I also don't watch Islanders games at all so would defer where he is or if he would be a good fit to others. I just think he could be the kind of guy this management group would target.

His offensive production is in-line with his career trajectory but doesn't match-up with the cap hit at all. Already have one of those players in Garland. Unless you're getting pretty significant value back...

Pageau’s additional year would be a deal breaker for me, but I think he would be a solid addition in a bottom 6 role.

the above is the major issue for me. Right as the rough years of the OEL buyout kick in.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Go full vulture mode, take a star player from a team that is booing him.

Tkachuk from Ottawa, or Kyrou from St Louis.

If this was the Benning era, I'd be very, very, very unwilling to take such a big swing, but I trust Allvin and Rutherford based on their smaller transactions thus far. Yes, even Horvat/Miller.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Go full vulture mode, take a star player from a team that is booing him.

Tkachuk from Ottawa, or Kyrou from St Louis.

If this was the Benning era, I'd be very, very, very unwilling to take such a big swing, but I trust Allvin and Rutherford based on their smaller transactions thus far. Yes, even Horvat/Miller.
I'd love to get Brady but there's no way the Sens trade him.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
the above is the major issue for me. Right as the rough years of the OEL buyout kick in.
Yea, if Pageau had just next year under contract, maybe you can make it work if you identify him as a player that can have a bigger impact than Kuzmenko. But like you alluded to with Garland, adding another inefficient, 2+ year contract to this team isn’t the answer.

The Mantha+ idea is an interesting one depending on the +.

Reactions: Vector

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Guentzel is literally the perfect guy.

Stanley cup winner
One of the best playoff performers of the last 20 years
Tocchet/Rutherford/Allvin connection, but mainly Tocchet.
Just turned 29, $6M cap hit (re sign him to 6x8M)
LW, ideal partner for Pettersson
PPG player

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Guentzel is literally the perfect guy.

Stanley cup winner
One of the best playoff performers of the last 20 years
Tocchet/Rutherford/Allvin connection, but mainly Tocchet.
Just turned 29, $6M cap hit (re sign him to 6x8M)
LW, ideal partner for Pettersson
PPG player
Absolutely 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad