Canucks News, Rumours, & Fantasy GM | Hold up, let ‘im cook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Guentzel is literally the perfect guy.

Stanley cup winner
One of the best playoff performers of the last 20 years
Tocchet/Rutherford/Allvin connection, but mainly Tocchet.
Just turned 29, $6M cap hit (re sign him to 6x8M)
LW, ideal partner for Pettersson
PPG player
Depending what we would have to add to Kuzmenko, I would pull the trigger

Reactions: Vector

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
New priority is getting a top line winger for Pettersson. Preferably a LW. Mikheyev, Suter, Lafferty isn’t ideal especially in the playoffs.

Konecny, Guentzel, Buchnevich, Forsberg, etc

Guentzel might be the perfect fit considering the connections with Tocc/Allvin. Could be our Marian Hossa type acquisition.

Like I said on the trade board, I suspect Pittsburgh will stubbornly cling to being a playoff team until the day they're eliminated from the race. Guentzel being a UFA isn't ideal since I don't know if we can afford what will likely be a decent pay raise given the season he's having. Would love to have him though.

Hertl would almost just as good acquisition but with similar cap issues. Granlund and Duclair could be interesting "cheaper" options.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Like I said on the trade board, I suspect Pittsburgh will stubbornly cling to being a playoff team until the day they're eliminated from the race. Guentzel being a UFA isn't ideal since I don't know if we can afford what will likely be a decent pay raise given the season he's having. Would love to have him though.

Hertl would almost just as good acquisition but with similar cap issues. Granlund and Duclair could be interesting "cheaper" options.
Duclair? Absolutely
Granlund? That name is barred from wearing a Nucks jersey (again)
Hertl? No thank you

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Kuzmenko for Iorio?

Sign Kessel for 1.5?

Replaces Kuz's offence with a Cup-winning vet; gets some future D help; frees up cap space for more blueline or upfront help (though I think Washington would have to send a cap contract back, so it might not work).

I dunno, just spitballing around.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Trading Kuzmenko is extremely short-sighted.

Whats the rush? We've at least accumulated some CAP for the trade deadline to make roster improvements so unless Kuzmenko is returning a top 6 fwd there's little upside to moving him. I mean his value is currently tanked at an all time low it's horrible asset management to move him when hes getting healthy scratched.

Just let him simmer and try to turn his game around. His contract doesn't have a ton of term and this is the type of player that could just start clicking. We've seen how high his IQ is for adoring goals that's not a skill you just jettison because he's struggling on a forecheck.

If he's having the same problems throughout the rest of this year and in to next year you move him for the same peanuts return you guys want right now.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

Whats the rush? We've at least accumulated some CAP for the trade deadline to make roster improvements so unless Kuzmenko is returning a top 6 fwd there's little upside to moving him. I mean his value is currently tanked at an all time low it's horrible asset management to move him when hes getting healthy scratched.

Just let him simmer and try to turn his game around. His contract doesn't have a ton of term and this is the type of player that could just start clicking. We've seen how high his IQ is for adoring goals that's not a skill you just jettison because he's struggling on a forecheck.

If he's having the same problems throughout the rest of this year and in to next year you move him for the same peanuts return you guys want right now.

Trading AK47 right now is a JEB move, 100% JEB move.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021

the canucks actually don't have any cap space at the deadline because soucy puts them in ltir and uses up all but 1.2m of their cap when he comes back (still in ltir because of poolman so no accrual is possible). they'll have about 2-2.5m in cap space at the deadline when you consider they'll be able to send someone down if they acquire another player if nothing else changes

i think kuzmenko has been used terribly here (even if i agree with some of the criticisms of his play) but if they're not going to play him they should absolutely trade him if they can either get a useful body back that lets them start accruing cap space for the deadline or if they can turn him into a good player equivalent to what they might get at the deadline. pageau or mayfield or mantha isn't it though. they should be targeting futures if they're not going to get a good 3c or a good top 6 winger. they can then use them to go hunting at the deadline

i also think the narrative around him is kind of ridiculous. both he and boeser are playing basically the same as last year they've just swapped shooting percentages. last year kuzmenko was the mvp and boeser the goat and now it's the opposite. it's lazy analysis. boeser isn't as good as he's performed to this point and kuzmenko is better. the team needs both of them to play well to succeed

Reactions: m9

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Being opportunistic with Kuzmenko and trading him sooner than later is a good idea. The coach isn't a fan of the player, the player isn't going to become less east-westy for him, Tocchet isn't going anywhere before Kuzmenko becomes a UFA..

Read the tea leaves guys. This isn't a Boeser situation. Trade him now, try to upgrade for a better fit or enjoy the cap space in 2024 free agency.

I shouldn't have to tell you Kuzmenko isn't a true talent 40 goal scorer. He was shooting hot last season. But he did it and that's a good opportunity to entice another team to roll the dice on him.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
The Kuz and Tocch issues started last year, not this year.

So it’s a continuation.

And the fact they are keeping $5.5M in the press box is another issue.

Mgmt won’t rush a trade but it sure seems headed that way.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Being opportunistic with Kuzmenko and trading him sooner than later is a good idea. The coach isn't a fan of the player, the player isn't going to become less east-westy for him, Tocchet isn't going anywhere before Kuzmenko becomes a UFA..

Read the tea leaves guys. This isn't a Boeser situation. Trade him now, try to upgrade for a better fit or enjoy the cap space in 2024 free agency.

I shouldn't have to tell you Kuzmenko isn't a true talent 40 goal scorer. He was shooting hot last season. But he did it and that's a good opportunity to entice another team to roll the dice on him.

I'm not against trading Kuzmenko, but right now his value is at all-time low. Trading him now will yield us bad returns, and show nothing except desperation.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
If Tocchet is going to keep scratching him, the value is not going to go up, sorry to say.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Kuzmenko:
-doesn't see a trade
-when he talks to both sides, the word "patience" comes up a lot
-teams have called on Kuzmenko but it's information gathering
-Milstein talks to Allvin and Rutherford on a daily basis; lots of mutual respect
-Kuzmenko knows why he's in the Tocchet's doghouse
-many years ago there was a player who's relationship with the coach was so bad that the PR department was telling him when he was a healthy scratch
-Tocchet's communication skills are very good; no grey area
-in order for a trade to happen, would have to get really bad
-break after San Jose will be good for Kuzmenko

Joshua:
-Ryan Johnson identified Joshua as a player he would go after when the Canucks & Blues shared a farm team
-had strong interest from a lot of teams as a UFA
-his agent lives in Vancouver and suggested the Canucks were the right spot for him to get a regular NHL spot
-everything he's been told, Joshua really likes it in Vancouver
-thinks term will be important

Zadorov:
-rumour is he asked for a really big term number from the Flames

Blueger:
-a tonne of teams looking at Blueger
-a lot of pissed of teams when he picked the Canucks

Myers:
-can see the Canucks not trading Myers

TDL:
-first time since 2019 they will be buyers and not sellers
-still have interest in Chris Tanev

Juulsen:
-Canucks are liking what they see
-got his housing letter from management; was previously living in a hotel
-everyone is happy with him

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I just dont agree that Kuz is even playing badly or really struggling or whatever.
At worst playing a level below last year, which was expected.

Stop treating him like a rookie and turning him into a board grinding checker, you went way outta the way to attract and sign the russian sniper, you should know what you are getting into.

Put him in offense first situations, obviously on the top line with your "10M+" young C you also want to sign, and let them produce offense. Mik and pius suter as top (6) line wingers is a joke and holland level incompetent.

Trading the guy now after trashing his value and confidence would be full benning.
Especially after doing the complete opposite strategy with hronek immediately after acquiring him.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas

Kuzmenko:
-doesn't see a trade
-when he talks to both sides, the word "patience" comes up a lot
-teams have called on Kuzmenko but it's information gathering
-Milstein talks to Allvin and Rutherford on a daily basis; lots of mutual respect
-Kuzmenko knows why he's in the Tocchet's doghouse
-many years ago there was a player who's relationship with the coach was so bad that the PR department was telling him when he was a healthy scratch
-Tocchet's communication skills are very good; no grey area
-in order for a trade to happen, would have to get really bad
-break after San Jose will be good for Kuzmenko

I wonder how Bali is this time of year? :sarcasm::laugh:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Who the heck was this?

And come on. If you're a media member and you know something like this from years ago, just spill it. Don't tease people with it. Same as Dhaliwal's 'I have some stories you wouldn't believe about Utica' and not elaborating. Like, come on. Either spill the beans or shut up about it.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
I just dont agree that Kuz is even playing badly or really struggling or whatever.

Stop treating him like a rookie and turning him into a board grinding checker, you went way outta the way to attract and sign the russian sniper, you should know what you are getting into.

Put him in offense first situations, obviously on the top line with your "10M+" young C you also want to sign, and let them produce offense. Mik and pius suter as top (6) line wingers is a joke and holland level incompetent.

Trading the guy now after trashing his value and confidence would be full benning.
Especially after doing the complete opposite strategy with hronek immediately after acquiring him.
He doesn't have to play like a board grinding checker. He just needs to get in on dump ins and fight for possession in the offensive end and exert that same effort to support his defensemen as a release valve in his own end. You know, the same stuff that noted grinding checkers like Brock Boeser and Ilya Mikheyhev do on a regular basis. The kind of habits that help your line not get caved in at evens.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I'm not against trading Kuzmenko, but right now his value is at all-time low. Trading him now will yield us bad returns, and show nothing except desperation.

If Tocchet is going to keep scratching him, the value is not going to go up, sorry to say.

i would like some perspective on this - i don't view a player like kuzmenko having trade value operating like a slider (based on age/player type/skills etc...)

i can understand value changing when a GM makes a hasty move versus waiting until the right move - but 'assuming' our gm is patient, how much or what is he really losing in value? like do you guys think if he was worth a 1st round pick in november he's worth a 2nd in december? i don't get these references with how 'vague' or 'all encompassing' they are made

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i would like some perspective on this - i don't view a player like kuzmenko having trade value operating like a slider (based on age/player type/skills etc...)

i can understand value changing when a GM makes a hasty move versus waiting until the right move - but 'assuming' our gm is patient, how much or what is he really losing in value? like do you guys think if he was worth a 1st round pick in november he's worth a 2nd in december? i don't get these references with how 'vague' or 'all encompassing' they are made

he's not

player's value can fluctuate as their play fluctuates but kuzmenko is basically the same player he was last year. his shots aren't going in like they were last year but (most) gms aren't going to think he's lost his shot or whatever. kuzmenko is being scratched because he doesn't play a style tocchet wants his players to play not because he's not a capable nhl forward. coaches and gms who think like tocchet are never going to acquire kuzmenko and there's plenty who are willing to put up with a player with "bad habits" if they think they can bring enough offensively to make up for it

Reactions: andora

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
He doesn't have to play like a board grinding checker. He just needs to get in on dump ins and fight for possession in the offensive end and exert that same effort to support his defensemen as a release valve in his own end. You know, the same stuff that noted grinding checkers like Brock Boeser and Ilya Mikheyhev do on a regular basis. The kind of habits that help your line not get caved in at evens.
They knew exactly what they were trying their hardest to sign, not every player is a dump and chase expert and forcing high skilled snipers into dump in posession board battle forecheckers, and they're benched if they dont even though they had insane chemistry with ep and proven productive is full Pejorative Slur.
The bottom 3 lines can do that all day and/or thats why career bottom six trash like Mikheyev is force fed on the top line. (Plus laff, josh, pdg etc) Let him forecheck and grind and then pass the ephin puck to ep or kuz to actually score.

You signed Kuzmenko to score pts, he did exactly that very well just a few months ago.
Square peg round hole, pdg in a forced top 6 role didnt last too long either, not enough skill. Why does ep look like underwhelming semi frequently, not enough skill on his line. Play your best players in positions to succeed, cant find your confidence eating popcorn in the pressbox.

Its not science equations.

• Haha
Reactions: I am toxic and dez

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Pleased to see that news about Juulsen. He's been the brunt of many criticisms over the past year, but the last 3 weeks have been great and I'm shocked to see he's only 26 - most of us definitely overlooked him as a depth defenseman. Hoping he can keep this up even after he draws out of the lineup when Soucy comes back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad