Canucks News, Rumours, & Fantasy GM | Hold up, let ‘im cook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
OK, fair. In the specific instance that you traded DeSmith for a 1st and then immediately, same-day traded that 1st for like a Boone Jenner or something to lock us down at C ... sure. That's probably an unlikely and complicated transaction but if you felt like you could turn some goalie depth into solving another position absolutely it would be considered.

The 98% of fans who would want to make that trade are wanting it to use the pick. And no GM ever is weakening his quality team at the deadline to add pickz.

Going into the playoffs with a 100+ point team and then losing because your #1 got hurt and you had to play an AHLer because you traded your excellent backup for futures would be a fireable offense.
Yeah, there's no way I consider trading DeSmith right now. A 1st round pick does nothing for this team.

If we didn't have DeSmith as our backup and had someone like Martin, Campbell or Skinner, we'd easily have 6-11 fewer wins this season which would put us near a sub 0.50 hockey team. We'd be wishing we could just dump a first to get back into a solid playoff position.

There's still too much season left to play. Even at the deadline with only 17 games left to play - I probably rather keep him around so we can rest Demko for the playoffs and keep him sharp.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
1. Kuz for Mantha + Iorio
2. Mantha (slight retention) + Lekk for Duclair
3. DeSmith for 1st
4. Raanta for late pick
5. 1st + Iorio for Andersson

In
Duclair
Raanta
Andersson

Out
Kuz
Lekk
DeSmith

In&Out
Mantha
1st
Iorio

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

I listened to this live but didn’t figure there was anything we didn’t already know. The Hronek thing is an off-hand comment that some will use to try and stir up drama.

“I think they’re going to be pretty active; look at how aggressive they’ve been to this point,” Frank answered. “Some would say they’ve tinkered around the edges; I would say they’ve made a bunch of really smart bets to stack incremental 3%-5% wins on top of each other that have been difference-makers when it comes to the results we see on a night-to-night basis… This front office is eager and open to do business. They’re willing to shake things up and question the status quo. I’m not ready to make any bold proclamation yet simply because I don’t believe the rest of the NHL is on the same page.”

Quads: “Do you see the Canucks’ first-round pick being in play at all?”

Frank: “I don’t see the Canucks being a team that’s out there pounding the pavement, saying, ‘hey, we’re going to move our first-round pick to get a rental back in return,’ but if you could find someone that fits your age scheme, be part of your team for a while, and can help you now and for the future, I don’t think the Canucks would blink for a second and would put that first-round pick in play. They’ve had too many first-round picks that haven’t panned out, and it goes to show if you can be aggressive in the moment and make a game-changing move, that’s the way to play it.”

There was a slightly interesting part where he doesn’t think Zadorov will re-sign because Zadorov and his agent have too high an opinion. Want too much term and isn’t sure what the cap hit would be. Maybe 4.5-5m but doesn’t have a sense. Says Zadorov and Milstein rate him higher than the rest of the league.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I listened to this live but didn’t figure there was anything we didn’t already know. The Hronek thing is an off-hand comment that some will use to try and stir up drama.

There was a slightly interesting part where he doesn’t think Zadorov will re-sign because Zadorov and his agent have too high an opinion. Want too much term and isn’t sure what the cap hit would be. Maybe 4.5-5m but doesn’t have a sense. Says Zadorov and Milstein rate him higher than the rest of the league.

Defensemen and their agents know what they're worth. Hronek probably gets his $8M+ on the open market, and Zadorov gets his $5M+. We'll see what happens. Everyone knows the cap is going up.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
zadorov has high 'tyler-myers-contract-regret' potential imo. i like him with soucy's contract but not at any more than that

I don't think the AAV will be near that concern level, but management has a lot of decisions to make with a good portion of the roster going from value-over contract, to market contract. So depends how you feel about Zadorov on his market rate versus a pretty bargain deal. Same goes for Hronek, Pettersson, Lafferty, etc. etc.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
The max numbers for Hronek and Zad have to be 7.5 and 4.5 respectively. Term being 7 years for Hronek and 5 for Zad. I’d be aiming to top at 6 and 4 respectively, but I realize it’s unlikely tbf

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
The max numbers for Hronek and Zad have to be 7.5 and 4.5 respectively. Term being 7 years for Hronek and 5 for Zad. I’d be aiming to top at 6 and 4 respectively, but I realize it’s unlikely tbf
I know its not how things work but Hronek should not be making more money than Hughes, and like if he feels he should get paid on the same level as Hughes ( which I agree with ) he should have a 20 game run without Hughes where he holds down the top pair

I really like Hronek and think we almost NEED to resign him, but a number starting with an 8 is gonna be a tough pill to swallow

We need Hronek with a 7
Petey with an 10

if both those player get the bag we are gonna feel that OEL buy out real hard

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I know its not how things work but Hronek should not be making more money than Hughes, and like if he feels he should get paid on the same level as Hughes ( which I agree with ) he should have a 20 game run without Hughes where he holds down the top pair

I really like Hronek and think we almost NEED to resign him, but a number starting with an 8 is gonna be a tough pill to swallow

We need Hronek with a 7
Petey with an 10

if both those player get the bag we are gonna feel that OEL buy out real hard
It is almost as if things are going too well. The future cap was going to be hard to negotiate anyway, but in some cases players are going to be seeking raises well beyond what would have been the case if they weren't fitting in so well and having such success now.

Petey's contract is expiring next summer and the Canucks are likely going to give him a massive pay raise or lose him in the manner the Flames lost Tkachuk (or, heaving forbid, the way the Flames lost Gaudreau.) Hronek is going to be due a massive raise or he'll likely be gone next summer. Zadorov is expiring and expected to be seeking money and term or he could be gone next summer. Blueger, Joshua and DeSmith are on expiring contracts and their success this season could mean large raises for them. All of those raises (and several more) plus paying 2nd pair d-man price in 2025-2027 for OEL to not play for the Canucks any more (plus smaller amounts in other years) is going to place a good bit of pressure on the salary cap.

Allvin & Co have done a terrific job of making the Canucks a competitive squad in 2023-2024. They have been quite a bit more successful so far than many of hole they started in they'll have done a truly masterful job.

Reactions: TruGr1t

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Didn't Allvin or someone say the D will look completely different and rebuilt by the end of this season? Don't 100% remember the source but it's hard to believe they actually did it.

The issue will be in making this the new base and being able to maintain or build off of it. I don't think we can sign all of Hronek, Z, and Cole, so what does that look like before one or more young ELC contributors come along.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The issue will be in making this the new base and being able to maintain or build off of it. I don't think we can sign all of Hronek, Z, and Cole, so what does that look like before one or more young ELC contributors come along.

Joshua also probably gets $2M+ AAV, there are 8-9 UFAs, most of whom they'd probably like to retain.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I was thinking 1.5 for Joshua and 2 for Lafferty buys those might be too low.

They were talking about it during the cross-over today with Drance, Dodd, Donnie and Dhali. Everyone agreed Joshua would be around $2M. I doubt they can keep Lafferty myself, he'll probably be priced out. Hopeful for Joshua and Zadorov. I think they'll pay-up for Hronek, and the rest are a crap shoot. Wouldn't be surprised if Myers, Cole, DeSmith, Lafferty and Blueger are all gone.

Reactions: arttk and andora

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
They were talking about it during the cross-over today with Drance, Dodd, Donnie and Dhali. Everyone agreed Joshua would be around $2M. I doubt they can keep Lafferty myself, he'll probably be priced out. Hopeful for Joshua and Zadorov. I think they'll pay-up for Hronek, and the rest are a crap shoot. Wouldn't be surprised if Myers, Cole, DeSmith, Lafferty and Blueger are all gone.
Yes if anything you keep depth on a tiny premium if they are unique enough.. there are far more bluegers and laffertys out there than joshuas

Then you just need to keep identifying the correct players and find the next blueger and lafferty

credulous

Nov 18, 2021

i really hope they retain joshua with some term. something like 2m per for 3 years. lafferty and zadorov are more flashy but joshua is pretty much the ideal third liner and the hardest of the three to replace. lafferty and suter are pretty interchangeable and zadorov probably comes with a price that means you can do about as good in free agency

Reactions: racerjoe and Vector

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
i really hope they retain joshua with some term. something like 2m per for 3 years. lafferty and zadorov are more flashy but joshua is pretty much the ideal third liner and the hardest of the three to replace. lafferty and suter are pretty interchangeable and zadorov probably comes with a price that means you can do about as good in free agency

I think they will find a way to keep Hronek, Joshua and Zadorov. At the expense of basically everyone else. Though Patrick Johnson was saying on Sekeres and Price today that the Canucks may hold firm on a "Soucy-type" deal for Zadorov. There will be some gymnastics with those guys probably having an increased cap hit of a combined $14-15M next year.

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
I expect Pettersson at 12M, Hronek at 8M and Zadorov at 4M.

The one guy that I could see taking a significant hometown discount is Boeser at basically his current salary or less similar to RNH.

Reactions: TruGr1t

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
It’s important to not get too attached to the guys we have now. We need flexibility as the big guns get their raises.
Seems like they are good with pro scouting, might as well leverage that by getting new underpaid guys.
Cole and Myers is 100% out
I can see them keeping 1 of Laf or Joshua.
DeSmith they might try to keep but I can see them betting on another backup that Clarke thinks he can reach.
They probably want to replace Bluegar with Raty, not sure he is ready though.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

And the 5th round pick we squandered for him.

It's Cup or bust this season, to avoid a complete debacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad