Canucks News, Rumours, & Fantasy GM | Hold up, let ‘im cook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I 100% agree. Would much rather trade a first plus other futures for a mid twenties number 3 defenseman, and then just build around our top three on a cheap basis.

They need to try Hronek with someone else other than Hughes for a sizeable period of time. I know it’s hard to not always prioritize winning every game, the best run teams are able to have an eye on the future and make these kind of decisions.
The more distance they can create in the first half of the season they more they can afford to experiment with their combinations. They are like 15 points ahead of 9th place right now.

Reactions: Hodgy

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Hronek will obviously be worse away from one of the best dmen in the league. We’re not going to waste time playing him on another pairing to bring his contract demand down unless it helps the team win games, nor should we.

Reactions: andora

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Hronek will obviously be worse away from one of the best dmen in the league. We’re not going to waste time playing him on another pairing to bring his contract demand down unless it helps the team win games, nor should we.
The point isn’t to bring down his contract, the point is to see if he’s worth the contract he’s demanding.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I hate the Mayfield contract. Only way I'd offer to a player like Zadorov is to get the cap hit really low. Like 2.5m low.
7x2.5M would be less money in total than he'd get on a 4 year term from any of the many teams interested in him. 7 years at 3.5M or so might get him, and it would be a great deal for the team in many ways.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The point isn’t to bring down his contract, the point is to see if he’s worth the contract he’s demanding.
you do want to see if someone who is going to ask for big money can anchor a line/pairing or is someone who is more the support guy.

Reactions: Hodgy

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
He’ll look worse away from Hughes. He also should be hard capped at Hughes’ AAV, he shouldn’t get 8 in Van. Question becomes whether you trade him at the TDL if he won’t sign for Hughes’ cap hit.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
They need to try Hronek with someone else other than Hughes for a sizeable period of time. I know it’s hard to not always prioritize winning every game, the best run teams are able to have an eye on the future and make these kind of decisions.
For now i get the willingness to keep the pedal down but when/if we get Soucy back and he gets up to speed they need to start looking at splitting them. Not just to evaluate Hronek but to show different looks and have options later. It's important to not allow them to get stale either or teams to get too tuned in to what they do in the pre scouts.

Reactions: andora

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
So I was listening the PDOcast yesterday for pretty much the first time. While I understand that analytics have utility, I often feel that way too much is read into them.

So yesterday two of them are discussing why Expected Goals isn't all it's cracked up to be. Went something like this "what we're realizing is that finishing, and actual goals are important".

I nearly spit my coffee out. :laugh:

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
S
So I was listening the PDOcast yesterday for pretty much the first time. While I understand that analytics have utility, I often feel that way too much is read into them.

So yesterday two of them are discussing why Expected Goals isn't all it's cracked up to be. Went something like this "what we're realizing is that finishing, and actual goals are important".

I nearly spit my coffee out. :laugh:
Sigh.. no kidding eh?

As this stuff evolves xgf will peter off because it is so much noise

They will start to figure out more effective things that drive actual results (like real ones).. and contribute to scoring .. there is so much to unravel and understand within xgf

I dont pay as much attention to this stuff lately.. maybe stuff is already out there..

Reactions: iceburg and Vector

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
New priority is getting a top line winger for Pettersson. Preferably a LW. Mikheyev, Suter, Lafferty isn’t ideal especially in the playoffs.

Konecny, Guentzel, Buchnevich, Forsberg, etc

Guentzel might be the perfect fit considering the connections with Tocc/Allvin. Could be our Marian Hossa type acquisition.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
xg is more predictive of future success than corsi or fenwixk but it's not that much more predictive. the real problem with nhl advanced stats is that the data available is so thin. all you get really is the player and the location they touched the puck. there's no way to tell from the data whether a shot was a tip, a hurried wrister in traffic or a clean shot off a cross crease pass. obviously all these have very different actual value but the data just isn't there to "score" them

if the nhl ever releases the tracking data they have we might start to see good "advanced" metrics but until then you may as well just go by raw corsi (without deployment adjustment or score effects, those make it's quality worse not better). it's not the best for predictive purposes but it tracks scoring well enough

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
New priority is getting a top line winger for Pettersson. Preferably a LW. Mikheyev, Suter, Lafferty isn’t ideal especially in the playoffs.

Konecny, Guentzel, Buchnevich, Forsberg, etc

Guentzel might be the perfect fit considering the connections with Tocc/Allvin. Could be our Marian Hossa type acquisition.

Hertl.jpg

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Iorio is Was’ top d prospect. I don’t think we get him for an underperforming/scratched Kuz.

When did a clear backup (DeSmith) get a 1st at the deadline?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Think it was Friedman who brought it up, but Kuzmenko to the Islanders is interesting since these two teams proved they can get a big deal done. Have we heard anything about who would be the target coming back?

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Buch would be incredible but going to cost alot.

TK would be great but I don't see why Philly would take back Kuz in a deal.

Wsh a possibility but you'd likely have to take back Mantha (least he's on an expiring).

Don't see a fit with the Isles.

Cap hit and term is a real detriment to a Kuz trade. No different than Boeser or Garland before they turned it around this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad