Confirmed with Link: Canucks name Quinn Hughes 15th Captain in Franchise History

petterdaddy

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver
anyone else remember quinn crying on the bench, when either vegas or blues were shutting them down hard in covid playoffs. i like quinn, but he has a timid personality type. sedins were a bit timid but they were also almost like a strong silent type and not to mention physically big.
No, I don’t actually. I do remember him making this pass though:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
He did play with Kucherov a decent amount, about 16% of the time, in his lone full season with the Lightning.

at the end of the 2018 regular season, after tampa called up cirelli and the rangers gave them mcdonough and JTM, their lines through the playoffs were JTM-stamkos-kuch, palat-point-TJ, killorn-cirelli-gourde, kunitz-paquette-callahan.

that was the year they lost to washington in game seven of the third round and the year before they destroyed the league and got swept in the first round by torts.

then JTM gets traded to us and they win back to back cups after adding blake coleman and barclay goodrow on cheap contracts. meanwhile, JTM spends considerable time on a line with petey and boeser and we go on our own run.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
He showed signs of leadership throughout the last few years. Remember when Brock broke down Quinn tried to deflect the question, when Quinn spoke out about the Pearson injury, when he spoke to fans last season. Not a surprise that when canucks management challenged both Quinn/Petey to be more of a leader and Quinn according to Tocchet stepped up the most.

Probably gained a lot of respect in the room after that.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Imagine pimple faced QH going to a ceremonial faceoff with a bearded Mark Stone lol. Looks like father and son.

There probably aren't a whole lot of NHL captains that don't look young next to Mark Stone lol.

1694467963622.jpeg

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I don't know if I'm alone in this but I definitely see a lot of parallels between Hughes and Tanev (personality wise) which shouldn't really be a surprise given the impact that Tanev had on the young players while he was here.

Bieksa said something to the effect of it was like Tanev was so calm and cool on the ice that he could have been smoking a cigarette. I get those same vibes from Quinn.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
but he also could be toxic in the room when he wasn't being fluffed, which is the JTM comparison i had in mind

i don’t respond to stupid pointless conversations but ftr fluffed is bieksa’s word, he described this exactly on their podcast with kesler right there and even admitted he had to clock kesler for acting like an ass

• Haha
Reactions: Hit the post

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
anyone else remember quinn crying on the bench, when either vegas or blues were shutting them down hard in covid playoffs. i like quinn, but he has a timid personality type. sedins were a bit timid but they were also almost like a strong silent type and not to mention physically big.
He always looks like that lol. Dan Hamhuis syndrome.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
before even playing a game as captain hughes is already no worse than the 12th best captain in history, by virtue of making it through his first press conference without loafing to get his coach replaced by mike keenan or sexually assaulting someone.

if he ever wins two playoff rounds he clears naslund too. a big if given this team, but damn this franchise has some low bars doesn’t it?

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
I’m pretty happy that it’s Hughes. I don’t think it matters all that much that he’s small and doesn’t fight/hit. I can live with that when it means the best defenceman this team has ever had, who you’d think would be gravitating towards NJ, is more likely to stick with us long term.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I’m pretty happy that it’s Hughes. I don’t think it matters all that much that he’s small and doesn’t fight/hit. I can live with that when it means the best defenceman this team has ever had, who you’d think would be gravitating towards NJ, is more likely to stick with us long term.
I think that's a plus for him actually. Doesn't have to deal with some of the stupid stuff Horvat had to deal with (a bigger, more muscular player) like "why doesn't he fight more...etc". It's pretty obvious why Hughes won't/shouldn't.

Reactions: bh53

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I did a quick look at NHL captains and their stats on hockeyfights and it's a really overblown thing.

Half current NHL captains are superstar players (who might fight in a heated playoff match, ie Stamkos, Crosby etc.)

Some are fighters in the past but haven't fought more then once in a decade. (Guys like benn, couture etc.)

It's such a non factor.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Based on who we have on the team, I think Hughes is the best choice. I don't think going another year without a captain would be a good idea. Also I only have about a 50% chance that Pettersson is wanting to stay or will be a Canuck long term. How would it look if they named Pettersson as the Captain and then he demanded a trade at the end of the year.

I also think there is probably more behind closed doors that Hughes is doing that we don't know about. He's made some very blunt comments in the past in defense of team mates that shows he's not scared to get confrontational. I also think that Hughes is probably a little more cerebral and understands who he can get to buy in to working as a team.

I'm also hoping this sends a message to people that he wants to be here long term and the rumours of him wanting to jump to NJ to play with his brothers can be put out.... a bit anyways.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
I don't know if I'm alone in this but I definitely see a lot of parallels between Hughes and Tanev (personality wise) which shouldn't really be a surprise given the impact that Tanev had on the young players while he was here.

Bieksa said something to the effect of it was like Tanev was so calm and cool on the ice that he could have been smoking a cigarette. I get those same vibes from Quinn.
I want to see Hughes and Tanev together again so bad.

Reactions: supercanuck

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
He's the best choice IMO. I love EP but he just doesn't have the patience to be captain. Could he do it? I think eventually. But there would be growing pains.

JT can't do it, he can barely communicate with the media now without sounding petulant half the time.

Except Quinn most of the blueline are journeymen or brand new. I don't think you can have a guy who is often singlehandedly responsible for losing the team games as Captain so Myers isn't an option.

Boeser is definitely not captain material. Everyone else is just as poor of a choice.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
He's the best choice IMO. I love EP but he just doesn't have the patience to be captain. Could he do it? I think eventually. But there would be growing pains.

JT can't do it, he can barely communicate with the media now without sounding petulant half the time.

Except Quinn most of the blueline are journeymen or brand new. I don't think you can have a guy who is often singlehandedly responsible for losing the team games as Captain so Myers isn't an option.

Boeser is definitely not captain material. Everyone else is just as poor of a choice.
Considering the circus like atmosphere of the club since Hughes was drafted, I'm amazed he managed to develop as much as he has. I think he can handle the responsiblity.

Reactions: mossey3535

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Shoulda went with no C
Totally agree. We really don’t have a guy who should be Captsin. Hughes is too quiet. Miller is to volatile. Petey doesn’t want it. Don’t see why we should name a captain at all.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Giving the best defenseman in franchise history the Captaincy, I really have no problem with this.

I'm happy for Quinn. I hope he excels as the team captain and proves his doubters wrong.

Reactions: Play and HairyKneel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad