Confirmed with Link: Canucks name Quinn Hughes 15th Captain in Franchise History

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Makes me recall that video about how the team made Quinn's nickname "Huggy Bear". Demko had a funny take in that video.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Can't know what's going on behind the scenes, but hard not to read into this as it pertains to the dynamics with other certain high-profile players in the organization.

I'm agnostic on the decision, personally.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Wow, even despite the rumblings a little surprised thought they would give it at least another season before deciding.

Yeah, I'm hoping that it signals that from Hughes and the team they got some sort of signal that this would have support; I don't think they needed to do it now, they said that they weren't in a rush to do it, so if they did it now then hopefully that means they got some strong signals that it would be a good idea.

I think both Hughes and EP would have been excellent choices. Obviously you take the guy locked up longer term.

Also, Petersson's always had questions around whether he would WANT it, but with Hughes it's always seemed like he's lobbying for it, so hopefully both got what they wanted, EP doesn't get the pressure and gets to focus on playing hockey if that's what he wants, and Hughes gets the honour as something he's always desired and feels indebted to the team for believing in him.

1694456304818.png

Exactly.

While we should consider whether a player is ready for the pressure, it's assuming a lot about people we don't know and projecting our biases if we automatically revert to "pressure is a bad things we need to protect them from" given that some players thrive on it, seek it out, or don't even necessarily feel that pressure. The greats generally fall into one of those categories.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Good choice. NHL Teams need captains. Only a “casual”wouldn’t get that. Quinn seems like a good choice. Miller is too much of a lightning rod for this fanbase. The guy has been treated like shit by a good chunk of folks in this market. He doesn’t need the aggravation.

I’m sure Tocchet and the coaching staff have forgotten more about the game than the majority of a fan forum has learned. I’ll take the word of cup winners like Tocchet, Allvin, Rutherford, Foote and Gonchar. And I’m sure the twins had input. And even some of Quinn’s mates. But what do they know? :laugh:

Quinntessential

Mar 25, 2013
Mazel tov to the first Jewish captain in NHL history! My favourite player since his first few games. He’s just as special as any of the best we’ve seen suit up for our city. What he’s already done in the playoffs at such a young age on both sides of the rink still boggles my mind when I think about it.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
It worked out well for our former captain didn’t it? To the point where there was so much locker room drama.

Fan / media “drama” and actual drama are two different things and even what was reported is quite insignificant versus his time as captain. “Mad players being mad after repeatedly losing?” … not unusual or strange.

Reactions: Vector

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
This is probably going to be a huge mistake.

Exact same deal as Horvat where they rushed into giving a young player an added responsibility he didn't need because WE NEED A CAPTAIN instead of waiting for the next captain to organically develop.

At literally the first sign of any issues, the fact that our captain is tiny and doesn't hit or fight is going to be seized on by a massive portion of this fanbase and become a major talking point/issue.
Agreed. I would have held off naming a captain

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I guess Tyler Myers being the only member of last year's leadership group not present means he's being traded next week.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I guess Tyler Myers being the only member of last year's leadership group not present means he's being traded next week.

Why wait a week when it can happen this Friday!? They LOVE Friday announcements. Only reason this wasn’t announced on Friday was of the guaranteed upcoming Myers trade.

Reactions: Bgav and tradervik

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Why wait a week when it can happen this Friday!? They LOVE Friday announcements. Only reason this wasn’t announced on Friday was of the guaranteed upcoming Myers trade.
Couldn’t be a better way to welcome Hughes as captain than a follow up Tanev trade after Giraffe gets dealt.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Of the three logical choices, Quinn makes the most sense to me so I’m fine with this and happy for him. Seems like he genuinely is honoured to have this role and will embrace it.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
all the ppl who think they've rushed into this
I disagree. Quinn Has been with this team for 4 years, onto his 5th now.
He has been through both up and downs with the team, not to mention the whole pandemic period.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Was there any other choice..?...I said he would be captain 6 months ago.

Great team guy, who is respected by all the players..Also intelligent, and will be a good rep for the team.

Reactions: Skriko

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
We must have the softest group of Captains ever in the History of the sport. Linden was the only true Captain type that I recall who you could literally jump on his back.

Messier was a PR stunt, Naslund was soft as butter, Luongo???? Henrik much like Naslund and Horvat wasn’t much different. Dare I say Hughes is the softest of them all? His knickname is literally Huggy Bear!!!!

Physically aside he always looks like he’s going to cry or is trying to laugh his way out of a scrum, this role is going to be very taxing for a player like him in a market like this.

Congratulations Huggy Bear.
commen like this is why this market doesnt deserve great player

QUICK! Everyone jump to the stupidest conclusions possible!

Demko gave out the "Why am I even here. Im a goalie." vibe

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Now Jack and Luke will have to come here. Choke on that, Devils!
Much like how Naslunds best friend signed here after he was C

Of the three logical choices, Quinn makes the most sense to me so I’m fine with this and happy for him. Seems like he genuinely is honoured to have this role and will embrace it.
Him or EP. Anybody but Miller.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Quinn makes the most sense of any of the candidates. I like his pedigree and his attitude. He's level headed and mature. He's a consistent performer. Pettersson and Miller don't seem well suited to the job bceause of their personalities. Miller is too erratic and Pettersson doesn't like talking to the media.

Reactions: MarkMM

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
Now he'll have more opportunities in post game scrums to read scripted clichéd answers to softball questions from selected media.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
He was the guy that spoke up about Pearsons hand injury..He was the guy that spoke up about the Pride jersey, and defended Kuzmenko not wearing it.

Anybody who harps on Hughes for not fighting, laying out big hits, or physically standing up for teammates...is a moron.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad