Confirmed with Link: Canucks name Quinn Hughes 15th Captain in Franchise History

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I just can’t imagine ….. look at Hank Sedin and then look at the maturity of Hughes. There’s no comparison … one seemed wise beyond their years and the other one is a kid. Veterans aren’t going to listen to QH , that’s just the way it is.
In the past, veteran players certainly took the lead from kids like Crosby, Toews, Sakic (and they were captains younger than Hughes).

..and who on the Canucks is not going to listen to Hughes..?..If they dont , they'll be driven to the airport.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
sure what?

sure you cant deal with the reality of Quinn joining his brothers on a young and exciting team where he's probably going to be the final piece of multiple cup runs or joining a cup winner where all his friends and family can watch him play 4 seasons from now?
With what cap space? The Devils have multiple big ticket contracts (Hughes, Meier, Hischier, Hamilton, etc.) and likely more to come by the time Quinn is a UFA (L. Hughes, Nemec). Not to mention, since they're close to contending, they are likely going to look at adding players to the equation. Are you expecting them to wait around and save a load of cap for a guy who may be in the 10+ million range at that point, just for the feel-good story?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I just can’t imagine ….. look at Hank Sedin and then look at the maturity of Hughes. There’s no comparison … one seemed wise beyond their years and the other one is a kid. Veterans aren’t going to listen to QH , that’s just the way it is.

Umm… Henrik was 30 when he was named captain.

Hughes is the clear leader of the blueline. Nobody we have on D was or is ever as good as Hughes. Once Myers is gone Hughes will also be the longest serving. Our new D acquisitions are entering Hughes’ dressing room.

Up front it’s really just Boeser, Petey, Pearson, Demko, and Miller who have been Canucks for longer. They are going to be leaders in their own way but I don’t see them clashing with Hughes’ leadership.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
nice try frank but he's still leaving to join his brothers in a organization that is actually trying to build something.
Keep us in the loop Tiger.

You with your wealth of knowledge of playing pro hockey.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
One was 30 years old when named captain and the other is 23. Dude what the heck.

...they traded Horvat? :whaaa?:
Just woke up, we traded Hodgson for Kassian?!?!!?

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I just can’t imagine ….. look at Hank Sedin and then look at the maturity of Hughes. There’s no comparison … one seemed wise beyond their years and the other one is a kid. Veterans aren’t going to listen to QH ,
Umm… Henrik was 30 when he was named captain.

Hughes is the clear leader of the blueline. Nobody we have on D was or is ever as good as Hughes. Once Myers is gone Hughes will also be the longest serving. Our new D acquisitions are entering Hughes’ dressing room.

Up front it’s really just Boeser, Petey, Pearson, Demko, and Miller who have been Canucks for longer. They are going to be leaders in their own way but I don’t see them clashing with Hughes’ leadership.

1) best player doesn’t = captain
2) the rest of your post , is the problem.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i remember like 20 years ago when those sundin twins came into the league. and wouldn’t you know it, eventually the oldest sundin went and joined them on their team. left the demanding, high pressure team that he was captaining.

so yeah, i am prepared for quinn hughes joining his little bros somewhere in the swamps of jersey.

• Wow
Reactions: bh53

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I just can’t imagine ….. look at Hank Sedin and then look at the maturity of Hughes. There’s no comparison … one seemed wise beyond their years and the other one is a kid. Veterans aren’t going to listen to QH ,

1) best player doesn’t = captain
2) the rest of your post , is the problem.

Most teams name their best player captain. There's very little risk involved. I agree that that being the best player doesn't automatically equate to being the best choice for captain.

What was the problem with the rest of my post? You said that veterans aren't going to listen to Hughes and I explained why they would. It's your turn to explain why the veterans on the team won't listen to Hughes.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Most teams name their best player captain. There's very little risk involved. I agree that that being the best player doesn't automatically equate to being the best choice for captain.

What was the problem with the rest of my post? You said that veterans aren't going to listen to Hughes and I explained why they would. It's your turn to explain why the veterans on the team won't listen to Hughes.

The same reason that the 55 year old workhorse who’s been stocking the shelves at Safeway won’t give 2 f***s about what the newly promoted 18 year old “Produce manager” has to say. It’s a tale as old as time in most aspects of life.

• Haha
Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Luongos Knob

PDO Kings
Jan 20, 2009
I made eye contact with Quinny poo as I like to call him in Sport chek during the 2019 world juniors. So basically I'm best friends with the current canucks captain 😎

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
I don't see why a non playoff team needs a captain but I have nothing bad to say about Hughes other than he needs to fix his nerf gun of a shot.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
The same reason that the 55 year old workhorse who’s been stocking the shelves at Safeway won’t give 2 f***s about what the newly promoted 18 year old “Produce manager” has to say. It’s a tale as old as time in most aspects of life.
Lol comparing a grocery store to a professional hockey team.

At least bring Costco into the equation to prop up your point.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I don't see why a non playoff team needs a captain but I have nothing bad to say about Hughes other than he needs to fix his nerf gun of a shot.

Underestimate nerf gun at your own peril.
81x6sRmCF8L._AC_SX679_.jpg

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

So you think the veterans on the team won't listen to Hughes because they are older? Is that your reasoning here?

Lol comparing a grocery store to a professional hockey team.

At least bring Costco into the equation to prop up your point.

I feel Johnny Canucker is that 55 year old workhorse stocking shelves at Safeway who acts like a boss.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
So you think the veterans on the team won't listen to Hughes because they are older? Is that your reasoning here?

I feel Johnny Canucker is that 55 year old workhorse stocking shelves at Safeway who acts like a boss.
Denny’s

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC

Competence and value play a role, and if you're a star, no one cares about your age.

Do you think Sergei Brin and Larry Page (Google founders) had trouble earning the respect of employees at Google even though they were in their 20's? Or Mark Zuckerberg at Facebook?

And before the argument is made that they were the bosses, keep in mind that the people who joined those companies were often highly paid older executives with lots of other job opportunities who often took pay cuts to follow the lead of the younger guys because driven people want to win and they'll follow the lead of people with the skills to take them to the promised land.

When I was growing my company before we had formal authority levels the team naturally took the lead of those who were the most driven, smart and skilled, regardless of age, and in both sales and software side it occasionally happened that the leader that emerged were younger. We eventually had to formalize that leadership structure because the de facto leaders often wanted to enforce things that they knew needed to be done in order to set the culture and processes right but they felt they were overstepping their bounds until we told them that in fact that was now their job. Some wanted it and some didn't, some thrived and others stumbled, but age was never the deciding factor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad