Confirmed with Link: Canucks name Quinn Hughes 15th Captain in Franchise History

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I'm not his biggest fan but I liked this article by IMac. Spoke to Bo Horvat about Hughes being named captain:

Screenshot_20230912_164858_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230912_164908_Chrome.jpg

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I think you give the captaincy too much meaning despite your conundrum about it being pointless. Ironically, it’s the people who are making bold claims like “he’s not ready to withstand the Canadian market” or “he’s too young” are the ones who are creating uncertainty and causing the disruption of this news.

This is well articulated and perfectly said. If the captaincy is so pointless and unnecessary why is our media and fans going to be able to break down our best player through it's symbology.

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
FWIW, Daryl Sutter was also of the opinion that there's no real need to name a captain and that wearing the C in a Canadian market can be a huge burden:

“There’s no need to name one,” Sutter said. “There’s not a clear-cut one.
“It’s just a letter. Can’t put it on all those guys who’ve won Cups.”

Sutter also made the point that being the captain of a Canadian NHL team is a “big burden” and you have to be careful about one player “carrying the cross all the time.” It’s no secret that Canadian teams generally face heavy exposure and high expectations. The captain serves as a primary spokesperson and according to Sutter, the Flames don’t have a Mark Giordano — the Flames’ last captain — or Jarome Iginla-like player who immediately stands out as that kind of leader.

“It’s really, really difficult to be a captain of a hockey team in Canada,” Sutter said. “It’s totally different than if you’re in the Sun (Belt) or somewhere where it’s not a hockey market. This is totally different. There’s a lot of pressure on that player."

Hopefully Hughes will be fine, but it's not like this notion that the captaincy can be a double-edged sword is something just made up out of thin air by people who have never played in the NHL. Blake Wheeler has also talked about it, as I recall. Probably others.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
FWIW, Daryl Sutter was also of the opinion that there's no real need to name a captain and that wearing the C in a Canadian market can be a huge burden:

Hopefully Hughes will be fine, but it's not like this notion that the captaincy can be a double-edged sword is something just made up out of thin air by people who have never played in the NHL. Blake Wheeler has also talked about it, as I recall. Probably others.
I don’t think anyone is suggesting it isn’t a difficult job being a captain in a Canadian market. It’s the notion that it’s a stupid, pointless tactic that couldn’t possibly be beneficial to anyone and will only end up being an albatross that will drag Quinn down that is being called out.

DimitriL07

Jan 24, 2023
Vancouver BC
I like it. Just didn’t see to many other candidates on the team. Petey was the only other horse in the race but with all this contract talk up in the air you can’t go with him. Like Boes I think is the longest current tenured Canuck. You obviously can’t go with him though for multiple reasons.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I think that's a fair point that has been echoes by others. There's no "need" to name a captain when there isn't a clearcut leader to wear the C. At the same time, the players also know who the leaders are in the room. Take your Blake Wheeler example. He was stripped of his captaincy but the players still considered him captain. With that said, Darryl Sutter also called Kopitar the team's captain when Brown still had the C so take his comments with a grain of salt.

I think for the Canucks, one aspect is that at the time Horvat was named captain, he was clearly not going to be the team's best player or even the team's second best player real soon. But now it's kind of different. It's easy to see that Petey, Hughes, and Miller are the leaders on the team. If you aren't naming the veteran Miller it comes down to Petey and Hughes which is what most of us expect.

I don't think this is a situation where the Canucks need to wait for a leader to emerge. It's Petey or Hughes. It could be a situation where Petey isn't signed long-term. Management seems keen on having this fresh start under Tocchet and naming a captain now helps with the messaging.

Reactions: MarkMM

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Haha the Canucks put out a tweet of someone stitching the 'C' on Hughes jersey but didn't realize she was wearing a special bracelet.

View attachment 742731
The Canucks literally can’t do a single thing cleanly and it’s simply hilarious :laugh: not that this was nefarious or anything but jeez the quality control

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
I think that's a fair point that has been echoes by others. There's no "need" to name a captain when there isn't a clearcut leader to wear the C. At the same time, the players also know who the leaders are in the room. Take your Blake Wheeler example. He was stripped of his captaincy but the players still considered him captain. With that said, Darryl Sutter also called Kopitar the team's captain when Brown still had the C so take his comments with a grain of salt.

I think for the Canucks, one aspect is that at the time Horvat was named captain, he was clearly not going to be the team's best player or even the team's second best player real soon. But now it's kind of different. It's easy to see that Petey, Hughes, and Miller are the leaders on the team. If you aren't naming the veteran Miller it comes down to Petey and Hughes which is what most of us expect.

I don't think this is a situation where the Canucks need to wait for a leader to emerge. It's Petey or Hughes. It could be a situation where Petey isn't signed long-term. Management seems keen on having this fresh start under Tocchet and naming a captain now helps with the messaging.

Yeah, I wouldn't have had a problem if they didn't name a captain yet because that would signal that there's no clear leader and / or no one is ready for it, and it would be wise not to rush. They even said that they were open to options including running with 3 A's.

My hope is that if they did do this then it's because they feel that Hughes is both ready and wanting it, and also that the team has signalled that they're ready to follow him. We don't know that, but at the same time, it's not wise to automatically assume that he isn't ready for it, that the team isn't ready for it, that they didn't do their homework and that it will automatically be a bad thing. It can be a burden but by naming a captain a good leader can also take that burden to protect the rest of the team who may be better off being sheltered with someone taking on that work, and some people genuinely thrive and grow when given that responsibility.

Reactions: F A N

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
sure what?

sure you cant deal with the reality of Quinn joining his brothers on a young and exciting team where he's probably going to be the final piece of multiple cup runs or joining a cup winner where all his friends and family can watch him play 4 seasons from now?

lets get something strait here, I'm not calling you or Quinn getting C out here. I'm calling out management who have done a piss poor job since the disastrous Benning years.

Nobody should be wearing the C this upcoming season as nobody has earned it yet.

To me this reeks of a desperate organization who is watching everything around them crumble after trying to fix it. Their appeasing Quinn by giving him the C in their warped little minds.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Congrats Huggy bear. I wouldnt have cared if there was no captain but it is nice the team did something proactive instead of reactive for a change

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
nice try frank but he's still leaving to join his brothers in a organization that is actually trying to build something.
That was my assumption as well.....that he'd be leaving at the first opportunity to join his brothers Jack and Luke in New Jersey. Obviously being named 'captain' will at least put this speculation on the back-burner for the next couple of seasons..

It's hard to fathom that Hughes is still only 23......seems like he's been a fixture on the Canucks blueline forever. He's far from done improving as a hockey player, and he was quoted as such: telling reporters he'd be better at 23 than he was at 20: and better still by the time he hits 26-27.

Now that he's captain, who's going to argue with him?

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
sure what?

sure you cant deal with the reality of Quinn joining his brothers on a young and exciting team where he's probably going to be the final piece of multiple cup runs or joining a cup winner where all his friends and family can watch him play 4 seasons from now?

lets get something strait here, I'm not calling you or Quinn getting C out here. I'm calling out management who have done a piss poor job since the disastrous Benning years.

Nobody should be wearing the C this upcoming season as nobody has earned it yet.

To me this reeks of a desperate organization who is watching everything around them crumble after trying to fix it. Their appeasing Quinn by giving him the C in their warped little minds.

Sure.

Reactions: lousy

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I just can’t imagine ….. look at Hank Sedin and then look at the maturity of Hughes. There’s no comparison … one seemed wise beyond their years and the other one is a kid. Veterans aren’t going to listen to QH , that’s just the way it is.

• Haha
Reactions: LemonSauceD

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I just can’t imagine ….. look at Hank Sedin and then look at the maturity of Hughes. There’s no comparison … one seemed wise beyond their years and the other one is a kid. Veterans aren’t going to listen to QH , that’s just the way it is.
Game recognises game…

Reactions: F A N

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad