Confirmed with Link: Canucks name Quinn Hughes 15th Captain in Franchise History

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Much like how Naslunds best friend signed here after he was C

Him or EP. Anybody but Miller.
That Meanie Miller. He had a argument with his teammates a couple times and hit the top of the net with his stick. We can’t have that. :laugh:

Miller doesn’t need it but the vitriol from the fans towards him is adorable.

He was the guy that spoke up about Pearsons hand injury..He was the guy that spoke up about the Pride jersey, and defended Kuzmenko not wearing it.

Anybody who harps on Hughes for not fighting, laying out big hits, or physically standing up for teammates...is a moron.
Who harps on him about this shit? Strawmen? “The casuals”?

Quinn also beaked at the asshead media member who kept yapping at Boeser in 2022.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Probably the most logical choice if you had to choose someone today.

Even back in his draft year, I remember how he seemed mature beyond his years. Hockey family - his dad worked for the Leafs.

He showed signs of leadership throughout the last few years. Remember when Brock broke down Quinn tried to deflect the question, when Quinn spoke out about the Pearson injury, when he spoke to fans last season. Not a surprise that when canucks management challenged both Quinn/Petey to be more of a leader and Quinn according to Tocchet stepped up the most.

But the key is whether the "captaincy" will give unnecessary pressure to Quinn Hughes.

Just because other players don't have the C on their jersey, doesn't mean they can't/won't lead.

And I don't feel Hughes is that soft. He's undersized sure, but I've seen him in a fight at the WJC, put Athanasiou in a headlock etc.

At the end of the day, for most fans, his captaincy will likely be tied to team performance.

Reactions: supercanuck

48MPHSlapShot

Nov 3, 2018
Best possible choice, to be sure. You could see it in his eyes that he was a big time leader, years ago.
Couldn't be happier for Quinn and his team-mates. Thumbs up!

• Love
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Congrats to Hughes but couldn't the Canucks have done this on another day? Hughes' opening speech was great but really cringey given the circumstances.

Reactions: 48MPHSlapShot

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
That Meanie Miller. He had a argument with his teammates a couple times and hit the top of the net with his stick. We can’t have that. :laugh:
Funny how people forget his Bertuzzi like impersonation (eg., lazy backchecking, pouting etc.,) when times aren't so peachy. I could care less if he picked a fight with Schenn. Too bad though Schenn didn't lay him out. Hilarious you like to point out fans for being "woke" when the baby (Miller) can't take it himself.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

Quinn also beaked at the asshead media member who kept yapping at Boeser in 2022.

i mean this basically is the debate right?

miller's behaviour is reminiscent of bertuzzi and kesler, both of whom much of the fanbase vocally preferred as captain over quieter more professional players for... reasons

hughes stuck up for a teammate in a world of hurt, in public, which feels prettyunpassive and leaderful to... other members of the fanbase... for different reasons

so which side of the debate are casuals?

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Funny how people forget his Bertuzzi like impersonation (eg., lazy backchecking, etc.,) when times aren't so peachy. I could care less if he picked a fight with Schenn. Too bad though Schenn didn't lay him out.
And yet he puts up better numbers than Bertuzzi and is actually more consistent at both ends of the rink.

This fanbase seems to think our best players should be Joe Sakic, Gordie Howe and Trevor Linden all rolled into one.

Yeah that would be cool if teammates threw down on each other in a game. :huh: Weird take.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
i mean this basically is the debate right?

miller's behaviour is reminiscent of bertuzzi and kesler, both of whom much of the fanbase vocally preferred as captain over quieter more professional players for... reasons

hughes stuck up for a teammate in a world of hurt, in public, which feels pretty leaderful and unpassive to... other members of the fanbase... for different reasons

so which side of the debate are casuals?
Kesler, for whatever faults he may (or may not) have, *NEVER* could be accused of 'mailing it in' regardless of the time/point in the schedule. He had no 'off switch' (always went 'all out' pretty much every shift). Miller? Sure, when the team is 'rolling'.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
And yet he puts up better numbers than Bertuzzi and is actually more consistent at both ends of the rink.

This fanbase seems to think our best players should be Joe Sakic, Gordie Howe and Trevor Linden all rolled into one.

Yeah that would be cool if teammates threw down on each other in a game. :huh: Weird take.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Allstar in the opposing end of the rink.

Better than extremely low bar to beat Bertuzzi on the defensive side of things which is saying "he's the nicest guy in prison".

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Kesler, for whatever faults he may (or may not) have, *NEVER* could be accused of 'mailing it in' regardless of the time/point in the schedule. He had no 'off switch' (always went 'all out' pretty much every shift). Miller? Sure, when the team is 'rolling'.

absolutely, even when he didn't want to be here kesler gave it everything he had on the ice

but he also could be toxic in the room when he wasn't being fluffed, which is the JTM comparison i had in mind

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Allstar in the opposing end of the rink.

Better than extremely low bar to beat Bertuzzi on the defensive side of things which is saying "he's the nicest guy in prison".

i'd be more lolling at the "better numbers than bertuzzi" part

i mean, jesus christ bertuzzi finished 3rd and 5th in scoring in back to back years

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Miller is me when I finish work and can go get stoned as f***.

miller is where dustin brown was when he figured out how to count to potato

commen like this is why this market doesnt deserve great player

Demko gave out the "Why am I even here. Im a goalie." vibe

sheepishly hoping no one notices it's september and cloudy and he didn't think he needed to wear pants to a press conference

Quinn Hughes becomes captain yet JT Miller is trending on X.

i read this as miller is tripping on x, which is a good caption for the photo in question

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i've already posted in the previous thread about how i think this is the correct choice if you have to choose a captain

but thinking it over, here's my completely uninformed take: either they rushed into naming quinn captain because FAQ wanted to sell some new jerseys, or there is a good reason for this. following door number two, i'm guessing tocchet and the rest of the coaching staff saw this as a necessary move and didn't think there was anything to be gained by waiting a year or two to make sure quinn was really really really ready.

and the reason, i'm guessing, is it's time for the best players on the team to take ownership of the team. horvat's gone, and either you're going to continue to have JTM and some of the other older guys like myers and pearson if he's still around holding court, or at least pulling the team's momentum away from quinn/petey/demko, or you hand it over to quinn and let those three take over with everyone understanding that this is the direction the coaching staff and management is backing.

this doesn't mean that JTM stops talking or isn't a part of the leadership group, it means there's a chain of command and quinn can tell him to stfu when he has to without a fistfight. which ultimately is also maximizing JTM's ability to influence the team in a good way.

but to follow an earlier post in an earlier thread by me, this reminds me of choosing young sakic as captain of the nordiques. this is going to unlock something in hughes that not everyone can see yet. i think he's going to level up even higher this year and finish the season as a norris finalist.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Pretty Canucks move. You’ve got a guy in JTM who’s signed long term and the only guy with any emotion who gives a f*** ….

But they choose Quinn Hughes … the “nice guy”.

So sick of the nice guys. Give me a Pronger type that wants to win at any cost.

Imagine pimple faced QH going to a ceremonial faceoff with a bearded Mark Stone lol. Looks like father and son.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
absolutely, even when he didn't want to be here kesler gave it everything he had on the ice

but he also could be toxic in the room when he wasn't being fluffed, which is the JTM comparison i had in mind

i'd be more lolling at the "better numbers than bertuzzi" part

i mean, jesus christ bertuzzi finished 3rd and 5th in scoring in back to back years
How the hell do you know who is toxic in the room?

This oughta be good.

Over four years Miller is over a ppg. What’s Bert’s ppg average? And Bert could play Centre and that was it.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

4th line culture

Jan 11, 2020

Why are you always so angry? Did the "casuals" pick on you in school? They cant hurt you now

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Why are you always so angry? Did the "casuals" pick on you in school? They cant hurt you now
It’s just a strange poke at fans who don’t dive into analytics like some of the senior neckbeards. I played hockey, I love hockey and have attended hundreds of games over the years. I see it dropped regularly and all the high fives as if it affirms a certain opinion. Analytics in hockey is mostly noise. Yes there are a few decent stats to take some good info from, but all in all it’s a tool and a small one at that. I’ll take the word of people that played and managed the game at the top level over geeks with a spreadsheet

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
The 02-03 version of Bertuzzi (when he wasn't penalized for being stronger than everyone else) was absolutely dominant. Comparatively, Miller never reach such level.
To be fair to Miller, he never played with a linemate at the level of Naslund either (baring being put with EP full-time). Those two really elevated each others game (and Morrison, was underrated doing much of the dirty defensive work on that line).

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Pretty Canucks move. You’ve got a guy in JTM who’s signed long term and the only guy with any emotion who gives a f*** ….

But they choose Quinn Hughes … the “nice guy”.

So sick of the nice guys. Give me a Pronger type that wants to win at any cost.

Imagine pimple faced QH going to a ceremonial faceoff with a bearded Mark Stone lol. Looks like father and son.

Miller was never even considered internally I’d wager. We probably don’t know the half of it with him, and there’s the not so subtle rumour Pettersson is not his biggest fan, you know that guy they’re trying to convince to sign a retirement contract.

Personally I think the dressing room is a complete gong show and management is just constantly smoothing it over.

Hughes is probably the safest bet because he won’t ruffle many feathers internally or with the fan base. In the end, they probably had no choice.

Reactions: credulous

December5th

Feb 5, 2021
victoria
anyone else remember quinn crying on the bench, when either vegas or blues were shutting them down hard in covid playoffs. i like quinn, but he has a timid personality type. sedins were a bit timid but they were also almost like a strong silent type and not to mention physically big.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
To be fair to Miller, he never played with a linemate at the level of Naslund either (baring being put with EP full-time). Those two really elevated each others game (and Morrison, was underrated doing much of the dirty defensive work on that line).

He did play with Kucherov a decent amount, about 16% of the time, in his lone full season with the Lightning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad