Confirmed with Link: Canucks claim F Tom Sestito from Philadelphia

stevecanuck16

Jul 28, 2009
Uhoh...I think AV might have had some input in this decision.

Check this out:

Tom Sestito
Position: LW
Birthdate: Sep 28, 1987

:sarcasm:

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Uhoh...I think AV might have had some input in this decision.

Check this out:

Tom Sestito
Position: LW
Birthdate: Sep 28, 1987

:sarcasm:

He also injured Horton in a game and he will be wearing Rome's old number. Eerie.

JUMBOcanuck

Nov 15, 2007
why is this fanbase obsessed with losing a marginal 4th liner? The way people are talking about Volpatti makes it seem like he's some young stud prospect when in reality he's closer to 30 than 20, and has done almost nothing in the NHL.

Whether you care to admit it or not, Ebbett is a better hockey player, even if he doesn't bring the same things to the table that Volpatti does. Sestito also looks to have a better upside. I know this fanbase loves to hate on their team, but grow the **** up already.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
Apparently Aaron Volpatti needed to add layers to his game to stay in the NHL? Practice on the PK?

Why is he being treated like he's some 20 year old... the guy is 27.

Well Mike looks like most GM didn't think that way. That was quite a baffling interview..
What more could you ask of Volpatti? He is a fighter, hitter and get 1 or 2 goals if lucky... nothing more nothing less..

Why are we trying to evolve everyone to something they're not?
Mike wanted Volppati on the PK?.... oh boy... i thought Ebbett on there was bad.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
why is this fanbase obsessed with losing a marginal 4th liner? The way people are talking about Volpatti makes it seem like he's some young stud prospect when in reality he's closer to 30 than 20, and has done almost nothing in the NHL.

Whether you care to admit it or not, Ebbett is a better hockey player, even if he doesn't bring the same things to the table that Volpatti does. Sestito also looks to have a better upside. I know this fanbase loves to hate on their team, but grow the **** up already.

If you are talking about Volpatti then I agree with you. I don't get where this sudden outcry is coming from either. Players like Volpatti are a dime a dozen. He was a good team guy and is a great person but lets get real about his hockey future. He's only ever going to be a 4th line guy. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Volpatti on waivers again before the season is over.

Sestito is an upgrade over both Ebbett and Volpatti. The dude is a brute plain and simple. He immediately makes the rest of the team feel tougher while enforcing a level of accountability in opponents. We have enough skilled point getters. We needed a Ogie Oglethorpe to instill some fear in our rivals. Welcome to the team, Ogie... I mean Tom.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Lol. so much for dumping volpatti because we wanted him to bring more than fight and hit.

We brought in a goon. lol

Don't mind the move, 1 goon , 1 checker in Lappy, and decent middle weight in Weise.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
1. I liked Volpatti, already a few here are throwing him under the wheels of the bandwagon (which gets a steady group of "we lost the last game lets get off" and "we won the last game lets get on and plan the parade"). He is not a major loss, but he was a pretty good guy in the organization. If they had known that Kesler's foot was broken, I think he would still be here.

2. That being said, it sounds like our new boy brings a little more of what we need to the table. We have two fantastic players in the sedins, but they need some protection. It sounds like we may have some with this guy.

3. Are we a better team for the playoffs than yesterday. I think so. It helps to have this guy in the line up.

Horrorshow

Jun 1, 2009
Mike wanted Volppati on the PK?.... oh boy... i thought Ebbett on there was bad.

No, He wanted Volpatti to develop into a player that could be counted on to play the PK. Thought he could get that opportunity in Chicago.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Lol. so much for dumping volpatti because we wanted him to bring more than fight and hit.

A goon who has proven to be a better hockey player at every level, including the NHL, and is younger. Sometimes I feel like some of you determine a player's worth by looking at their size and weight only.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Don't mind the move, 1 goon , 1 checker in Lappy, and decent middle weight in Weise.

Sestito is a miles better hockey player than Volpatti. Like, not even close.

Sestito is a 40-50 point/80 game player in the AHL. Volpatti scored 2 goals and 11 points in 53 games during his last chunk of time at that level.

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA

Yep. Baffling. And Sestito has the better pedigree.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
1. I liked Volpatti, already a few here are throwing him under the wheels of the bandwagon (which gets a steady group of "we lost the last game lets get off" and "we won the last game lets get on and plan the parade"). He is not a major loss, but he was a pretty good guy in the organization. If they had known that Kesler's foot was broken, I think he would still be here.

2. That being said, it sounds like our new boy brings a little more of what we need to the table. We have two fantastic players in the sedins, but they need some protection. It sounds like we may have some with this guy.

3. Are we a better team for the playoffs than yesterday. I think so. It helps to have this guy in the line up.

This sumps up my feelings pretty well. Although it seems like pretty blind luck that Sestito was available when he was - not really in keeping with MG and Gilman's usual MO.

The Overseer*

This sumps up my feelings pretty well. Although it seems like pretty blind luck that Sestito was available when he was - not really in keeping with MG and Gilman's usual MO.

Agreed.

The Capitals must be kicking themselves right now. Could have had Sestito, ended up with Volpatti.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Agreed.

The Capitals must be kicking themselves right now. Could have had Sestito, ended up with Volpatti.

Yeah agree here... If you're looking for a player like that it seems pretty clear Sestito is the better guy.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
A goon who has proven to be a better hockey player at every level, including the NHL, and is younger. Sometimes I feel like some of you determine a player's worth by looking at their size and weight only.

Sestito is a miles better hockey player than Volpatti. Like, not even close.

Sestito is a 40-50 point/80 game player in the AHL. Volpatti scored 2 goals and 11 points in 53 games during his last chunk of time at that level.

Because we clearly dump volpatti because he couldn't produce more offense?

There were many posters saying how volpatti was a defensive liabiliy, yet sestito wouldn't?

Whether Sestito can produce more offense with 4th line ice-time at the NHL level is still unknown.

Clearly Sestito's strength is being a physical player, one that fights, hits and intimidates.

I actually like this move, just don't like how posters downplay the importance of having physical 4th liners. I've seen a few times where apparently winning a fight means nothing.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
How can a guy who will only play 5mins avg. a night be expected to put up points? Sestito and guys like him are there for one thing. Sestito trumps Volpatti in every way doing that one thing. The bonus is that the guy can actually play the game and keep up. Even though this was dumb luck how it all worked out it still manages to come out with us swapping Volpatti for Sestino straight up. Who wouldn't do that trade? Maybe Jay Feaster but I can't think of one GM in the NHL that doesn't take that deal from Vancouvers point all the while yelling no takesies backsies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad