Confirmed with Link: Canucks claim F Tom Sestito from Philadelphia

CanucksOo

Jul 29, 2006
California
I agree about Volpattis inability to get the puck out of his own zone. But he knew his role in Van. If he played 6 mins or 9, he was out there making big hits and stepping up in weight category if he needed to. Sestito is much bigger - but I've yet to see it translate into being better. I guess we'll see. I don't think he'll be around much longer anyways, once Pizz is ready to go - I'm guessing they'll waive Ses barring injuries.
I believe Pinnozotto is already part of our 23-player roster.... which why they had to expose Volpatti to waivers. This whole situation was a bit confusing.

But even so, Pinno will get his opportunity and be in the lineup over Sestito (as long as he stays healthy!)

Last edited:

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
Sestito will be lucky to play three games for you guys. He could barely get a game with the Flyers even with all the injuries!

Not Shawn Thorton!

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I see sestito with a similar career trajectory as mike rupp who has turned out to be a decent player for what he is.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It's my opinion that Sestito should have been playing here. He's not a skill player, but I think just as playing the game, there were some guys ahead of him that should not have been.

enuck

Relax and enjoy
Jan 20, 2007
Under a palapa
It's my opinion that Sestito should have been playing here. He's not a skill player, but I think just as playing the game, there were some guys ahead of him that should not have been.

Also when a young player with potential gets traded by a few clubs and bounced back and forth to the farm, a new team may be just what they need to jump start their career. I'm going to guess that we may see the best of him yet. Here's to hoping it's a match for both sides.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
I see sestito with a similar career trajectory as mike rupp who has turned out to be a decent player for what he is.

Thats a pretty good comparison, a big guy who isnt a top tier heavy weight but is willing to fight top guys while not being a liability on the ice. Another guy Sestito reminds me of is Tim Jackman, big guy who can skate and chip in a few while fighting lots but maybe not being the greatest fighter for his size

Also whats with everyones obsession with Pinizzotto? the guy has been with this organization for 2 years and has only played a few games in the pre season and the minors. Yeah he put up a few good seasons in the minors before but everyone here just assumes that when hes healthy he will get a full time spot and that hes a huge upgrade over Volpatti and Sestito

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Also whats with everyones obsession with Pinizzotto? the guy has been with this organization for 2 years and has only played a few games in the pre season and the minors. Yeah he put up a few good seasons in the minors before but everyone here just assumes that when hes healthy he will get a full time spot and that hes a huge upgrade over Volpatti and Sestito

Because when he wasn't injured he played much better than Volpatti.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Ben Kuzma ‏@benkuzma
Tom Sestito on being claimed off waivers by the #Canucks: "I was ecstatic. I was surprised because I had heard rumours about Edmonton."

I like him already:laugh:

Lundface*

Ben Kuzma ‏@benkuzma
Tom Sestito on being claimed off waivers by the #Canucks: "I was ecstatic. I was surprised because I had heard rumours about Edmonton."

+1 in my books :naughty:

cc

Feb 28, 2002
it's curious to me why Edmonton didn't pick him up. If there's a team in need of toughness and grit, it's Edmonton

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Sestito is gonna be a great addition for toughness, he has the size to match up against heavy weights and hang with them but hes not a feared fighter so he won't have trouble finding fights like a McGrattan or MacIntyre, plus hes a better player than those top heavies. He can take on a range of guys from middle weights to heavy weights. Hes willing to fight and a guy that will fight anyone

These are all from one game last year

StringerBell

Ben Kuzma ‏@benkuzma

:laugh::handclap:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Ben Kuzma ‏@benkuzma

He'll become popular among the team in the dressing room now. :laugh:

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Because when he wasn't injured he played much better than Volpatti.

for what like 3 pre season games and his games in the minors? Its all about how you play in the regular season, if past minor league numbers were the main factor Ebbett would have a larger role on this team :laugh:

From what I have seen from Pinizzotto and thats not much cause hes always hurt and never actually playing is hes more of a pest and a worse fighter than Volpatti who put up better numbers in the minors and looked better in a few pre season games

StringerBell

for what like 3 pre season games and his games in the minors? Its all about how you play in the regular season, if past minor league numbers were the main factor Ebbett would have a larger role on this team :laugh:

From what I have seen from Pinizzotto and thats not much cause hes always hurt and never actually playing is hes more of a pest and a worse fighter than Volpatti who put up better numbers in the minors and looked better in a few pre season games

He's a worse fighter, but he's a much, much better all round player.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Ben Kuzma ‏@benkuzma

I'll admit - even though I don't like our players poking fun at other teams in the media - I laughed.

enuck

Relax and enjoy
Jan 20, 2007
Under a palapa
Ben Kuzma ‏@benkuzma

I don't know which I like better, the favt that he just burned the Oiler franchise or he uses a word like 'ecstatic' to express pleasure. :laugh:

Hal 9000*

Sestito is gonna be a great addition for toughness, he has the size to match up against heavy weights and hang with them but hes not a feared fighter so he won't have trouble finding fights like a McGrattan or MacIntyre, plus hes a better player than those top heavies. He can take on a range of guys from middle weights to heavy weights. Hes willing to fight and a guy that will fight anyone

These are all from one game last year

Those weren't the toughest guys in the league and Sestito didn't look great in any of those 3 fights. He also didn't look great in the fight with Kassian. I'll admit that I don't know too much about him except that he looks game enough to drop the gloves regularly.. I guess we'll see.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Those weren't the toughest guys in the league and Sestito didn't look great in any of those 3 fights. He also didn't look great in the fight with Kassian. I'll admit that I don't know too much about him except that he looks game enough to drop the gloves regularly.. I guess we'll see.

Yeah, he's got good size and physicality, and he's clearly game to go...but his fighting ability looks a little lacklustre - the Canucks should give him whatever training they gave Weise over the off-season (Weise has been noticeably less horrid when dropping the mits this year)

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->