Post-Game Talk: Canucks 2 (Brock Boeser) Bruins 1 in a Shootout

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Hughes my man, the ice is yours.

And on a separate note, I would definitely prefer a high pick this year too, who doesn't? But what we also have at this moment is the opportunity for assessment of the team, see where the players are at. If we had years and years of winning, with a rock solid culture, then a year of losing/tanking would not be too bad, just to obtain that coveted high pick and prospect for give us that push. Right now, our priority is culture rebuild, let the players relax and find their game, and we find a good no bullshit GM. A high pick is nice to have at this point, not must to have.

At least that's my personal take on our situation.
I agree, we have the talent on this team to be competitive. We have had after all, four top ten picks in the last four years? So yeah, I’m all for instilling that winning vibe.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hughes my man, the ice is yours.

And on a separate note, I would definitely prefer a high pick this year too, who doesn't? But what we also have at this moment is the opportunity for assessment of the team, see where the players are at. If we had years and years of winning, with a rock solid culture, then a year of losing/tanking would not be too bad, just to obtain that coveted high pick and prospect for give us that push. Right now, our priority is culture rebuild, let the players relax and find their game, and we find a good no bullshit GM. A high pick is nice to have at this point, not must to have.

At least that's my personal take on our situation.

Except we weren’t kissing, (maybe some heavy petting)
C90E7A64-1FF9-476D-A78C-ADA0279444E9.gif

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
I dont know if many noticed a play by podz end of shift dives at Boston blue line to push a puck deep while his line was changing i cant remember seeing a player do that under Green in regular season game .
The type of play and player you win games with

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
A few thoughts:

-bloody shame about Hamonic, I thought he had one of his best games
-Schenn is playing way above his abilities, happy for him
-for someone that handles the puck about as well as a mountain goat, Tucker Poolman sure does like chasing it into the offensive zone corners
-the pace is so much higher; better puck movement and quicker decisions makes all the difference
-Demko is the most obvious team MVP I've seen in a long time
-starting to see Pettersson come out his funk; it's subtle but there's more force to his skating and more purpose to his positioning
-it's a shame that Motte is getting the short end of the stick for TOI; not his fault he's stuck with two slugs
-Dickinson is playing much better; curious if that's a bump given his connection to Walker

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Boudreau for Prime Minister. Guy's a friggin genius. Unbelieveable change in attitude and try. Hope resurrected

Good

Myers - great game. Controlled his end and made excellent plays in every zone. Hughes was great but Myers was a step above everyone. Never look at three stars but he should have been #1.

Demko - another very good game. Looks in total control out there and only high end deflections can seemingly beat him. Turned away Bruins in the shoot out with ease

Dickinson - lots of players are improved but none like Dickinson. Has gone from being near useless to being solid and from having no direction to being on top of the play. Best game of the year.

Hughes - turning into super star material. Just so consistent in passing the puck up to the forwards. Play in his own end continues to dramatically improve. Would think he is clearly on Team USA at the Olympics.

Hamonic - up to the time of his injury was playing some of the best hockey since coming here. Played hard nosed and pushed the offense. Much more aggressive on getting on people. More like the player that looked good with the Islanders a few years ago. Have to hope the injury isn't not too severe.

Schenn - best bang for the buck player on the team right now. Playing big around his net and pretty good job of moving the puck up.

Podkolzin - can see Boudreau is starting to love this player. Tons of game time and in every situation. Is turning out to be having an excellent rookie season.

Miller - never know exactly what you're going to get but he did a very good job of setting people up and on the PK.

Others

Would say the one player s who is getting a reduced role and whose play has fallen off some is Motte. He wasn't bad but a lot less prominent than he was when Green was coaching.

Also Pettersson still not accomplishing much. Keeps looking at his stick as though it is betraying him. Probably a little like blaming the glove when you flub one in baseball. somehow this player has to get his confidence back - especially around the net.

Horvat is another who has not got back to what he was at his best.. Looked nifty and very confident on his penalty shot but still not skating well enough to get ahead of the play and make better passes.

Hoglander - looks a little lost and over thinking the play too much. Not showing the same of intensity he showed last year.

The team is immensely improved over the last couple of games but still not hitting on all cylinders. If they can get a couple of guys like Horvat and Hoglander really going they are going to tough on anyone right now.

However if injuries continue to increase on the defense, as is the history with the Canucks, then team will obviously be in deep trouble.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's almost impossible to overstate how poorly the Canucks were coached under Green. An endless list of players acquired and signed by Benning who came to Vancouver and gradually started playing the worst hockey of their careers.

Dickinson is a classic case in point. He looks like a different player the last two nights. But the first 25 games into his career with the Canucks, he was reduced to being a replacement level player.

Boudreau in the post game presser said that the Wild and Stars played a lot of games in the Central Division, and Dickinson was an excellent player for Dallas. What happened to him when he came to the Canucks? You might as well ask, what happened to Schmidt? Couldn't wait to get out of town.

Sad reality for Benning, is that if he'd hired a guy like Boudreau after last season, he might still have his job.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Bruce is smart, when he talked about Horvat having a great game, He mentioned "Defensively"
it's a positive look to a player who offensively was struggling, but shut down Pasta and co.

Also Huge props to myers, Minus some dumb plays, man 28 minutes, was a beast tonight
Hughes and Myers are going to be played like rented mules if OEL and Hamonic are out any extended length of time.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
When you see that we were credited with 2 HDCF in this game, you realize how bad some of the stat tracking in this league still is.

i want to highlight this as it’s something I’ve been keeping an eye on for the past year or so. I believe that most/all of these public hockey analytics sights use AI to count their stats and they classify scoring chances and high danger chances one things like where on the ice the shot was taken from. I’d be interested in finding out more and whether they have someone go over the game data after the fact.

Their data for straightforward things like Corsi are probably reliable, but nights like tonight makes it clear that their data for things that have a subjective slant like Scoring chances and high danger chances are not terribly accurate, especially in small sample sizes. Maybe in a season worth of data it gives a roughly accurate picture, but I’m slightly skeptical of that too.

Id love to have access to some of the private high quality stuff, but alas, I ain’t that rich

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
It's almost impossible to overstate how poorly the Canucks were coached under Green. An endless list of players acquired and signed by Benning who came to Vancouver and gradually started playing the worst hockey of their careers.

Dickinson is a classic case in point. He looks like a different player the last two nights. But the first 25 games into his career with the Canucks, he was reduced to being a replacement level player.

Boudreau in the post game presser said that the Wild and Stars played a lot of games in the Central Division, and Dickinson was an excellent player for Dallas. What happened to him when he came to the Canucks? You might as well ask, what happened to Schmidt? Couldn't wait to get out of town.

Sad reality for Benning, is that if he'd hired a guy like Boudreau after last season, he might still have his job.

I'm glad he was that dumb, signed his own death warrant...for the 4th time or something.

JEB's full name should be etched into tablets of granite and placed in every latrine in every washroom in Rogers Arena for people to piss and shit on.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i only watched the very end of the game tonight but how good really was dickinson?

from what i saw last game, he played much better but he got like three great chances that died on his stick. seems like swapping no hands with motte is a no brainer.

then a new and improved dickinson can grind some quality fourth line minutes with lemmy and whomever.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
i only watched the very end of the game tonight but how good really was dickinson?

from what i saw last game, he played much better but he got like three great chances that died on his stick. seems like swapping no hands with motte is a no brainer.

then a new and improved dickinson can grind some quality fourth line minutes with lemmy and whomever.

Good enough to start overtime.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Prior to Bruce's arrival, the games were tentative, safe (as possible), and dull. These last 2 games, with the exception of tonight's 1st period, have been FUN to watch. Mistakes are being made, but they're coming from taking and creating chances. They ain't playing it safe. It's a fun start so far.

Reactions: B-rock

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

He wanted Julien after ten games. He chose to bring back Green. That is on him. Don’t know if the results would have been the same. Like is Boudreau not the best person ever?

Also, like Smyl said, the culture was rotten top-down. They had to remove the rot at the top. People who stan benning will continue to ignore this fact. (I’m definitely not saying you are but I’ve seen it on twitter a bunch recently).

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

While you might be right, the laundry list of colossally bad moves that JB executed can not be ignored. Just because Green wasn't good doesn't mean Benning was good.

Last edited:
Reactions: B-rock

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad