Post-Game Talk: Canucks 2 (Brock Boeser) Bruins 1 in a Shootout

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't agree with this..I think Green was a great coach for getting the young core players acclimatized to the the league..and the bubble playoff success was a big step forward...To completely 'whitewash' him out as being an all round lousy coach who completely stifled players is completely untrue..Thats the way it is here on HF Canucks..It's either got to be black or white.

Maybe Dickenson is playing better because his coach in junior was was assistant coach Scott Walker.

I agree that that if Benning hadn't hitched his ride to Green...and had gotten a vet coach, things would have been different this season..Thing is...It was the right change to dismiss both Benning and Green (and I'm not anti-Benning), given their already long leashes, they were full value for their firings.

Travis Green was absolutely an all-around bad coach and most of the young core players you’re referring to got worse and worse the longer they were exposed to him.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
2-0 agreesive PK again. i love it. miller redeeming himself after that accidently hitting the goalie. horvat with a nice finish too. f***ing marchand. late hit, maybe hamonic twisted his ankle? with OEL and hamonic status up in the air. hunt/rathbone gets called up? or smyl looks for another defenseman via trade/waivers? injury bug hitting early. myers played 28 mins what a monster been jumping up into the play as well. not falling down in his own end much.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
They weren't at all.

You know what was bullshit though was that Campbell's daddy was head of officiating and the Bruins were allowed to get away with such garbage that series.

Canucks continued to get hosed by officiating even through 2013 when the sharks had like 40 powerplays in 4 games
Yep.
Injuries hurt. Big time.
Officiating.... yes.

Last edited:

Feb 20, 2013
When you see that we were credited with 2 HDCF in this game, you realize how bad some of the stat tracking in this league still is.

The NST model is very rudimentary. HDCF is primarily dependent on the shot location (Natural Stat Trick - Glossary). To qualify as a high danger chance, the shot has to either come from right in front of the net, or be in the slot and either a rebound or off the rush. The Bruins generated a bunch of in-tight rebounds on the PP and therefore a lot of HDCF. Though the Bruins did generate the better chances and deserved to win the game tonight, I agree with you that it was closer than NST's models would suggest. The Canucks generated several good chances from just outside the slot that were either off the rush or after cross-ice passes but did not qualify as HDCF.

Intuitively speaking, there is such a thing as being in too tight and not having a good angle for the shot. Though goal tracking data suggests that closer is better for shooting %, which makes sense for dekes and tap-ins, whacking away at rebounds when the goalie is set is less dangerous than bringing those rebounds out to the high slot where he has to worry about shooting angles.

There are better private scoring chance models but something like NST works as a good first-pass approximation of which team was better in a game so long as we keep in mind the model's biases (which are well explained in the glossary).

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Travis Green was absolutely an all-around bad coach and most of the young core players you’re referring to got worse and worse the longer they were exposed to him.
Disagree...he coached them to their great successes, and both players have acknowledged that, and thanked him....... and we can all agree that they desperately needed a new voice in the room..All coaches inevitably run their course.

The way you carry on sometimes..You would think that Travis Green, and Jim Benning are the worst people on the planet.

Reactions: Jimnastic

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Disagree...he coached them to their great successes, and both players have acknowledged that, and thanked him....... and we can all agree that they desperately needed a new voice in the room..All coaches inevitably run their course.

The way you carry on sometimes..You would think that Travis Green, and Jim Benning are the worst people on the planet.

Said this before, will say it again: JEB is the Grezky/Lemiuex of bad GM's. He set the bar so high for future bad GM's to reach it's almost beyond the bounds of reality.

As for Green, as time passes his lack of creativity and inability to respond to the ever-shifting on ice situation became worse and worse. And Miller's display of anger only showed how deep this coach has fractured the locker room.

Both deserved to be fired long ago.

likash

Apr 17, 2019
Nothing like scoring with the ratbboy in the penalty box. Another great game by Demko.

Bruce is now in an win-win situation and he knows that. Nobody will blame him if we miss because it's the mostly likely scenario, but if he somehow gets us to the playoffs, he becomes an instant hero in Vancouver. He is a very likeable person and it shows.
We just need some smart GM to take the team to the next level(in all areas)and i can see Bruce doing great things here.

Last edited:

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
What a great time to be drunk Canuck fan from a distance (15k km). The black and white analogy is apt.

Travis Green had some good qualities. But it is clear we are better off rid of him. My best guess is his attempt to rigidly pigeonhole players into roles just didn't work and really hurt us. I suspect he will eventually be a good coach. But for now, we are lucky he is gone. eg. like, how can you turn EP40 into a bad player?

And (regardless what some morons on this site think of my viewpoint) it is such a relief to have Jimbo out of the picture.

A hard fought battle against the Ruins.

And our clutch players came through on the shoot out. Miller, BB, and Snatcher. (and EP40 was just unlucky).

Man, I love this team.

Another Scotch and I shall crawl into bed. while watching an epic thunderstorm here down under.

Did I say - I love the Canucks!

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
After seeing Dickinsons' instant transformation, I can't help but wonder where Virtanen would be at if he started with BB instead of the worst coach in the modern era

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
After seeing Dickinsons' instant transformation, I can't help but wonder where Virtanen would be at if he started with BB instead of the worst coach in the modern era
That guy is a legitimately stupid human being. Compound his natural stupidity with that surgery he had in year one. Nothing would have ever helped him reach any heights close to his draft status. Nothing.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC

Green had moderate success early one good run of games in the bubble which was in large part his goalies, since he had mismanaged players mismanaged the bench coached the team into the ice not on it if watching the difference in last 2 games is lost on anyone its amazing he lost the players confidence and it shows like night and day.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC

I liked his size speed and hands but he never put it together and lacked maturity its on him .

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
So far Bruce is making Travis look like an idiot and it’s amazing to witness

Reactions: bh53

likash

Apr 17, 2019
So far Bruce is making Travis look like an idiot and it’s amazing to witness
Let's calm down. Torts also looked like a genious for 20 games playing kes with the twins, having the twins do PK and had everybody colapse on D to block shoots. We all know what happened after that when almost all players have some kind of injuries during the season.

The players hated Jimmy more than Green. You missed the last 2 years when every important player took shoots at Jimmy? I've never seen them outside of Miller to take shoots at Green.

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
There are actual numbers that say this but you can’t be surprised certain folks have their own narratives.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
This right here just shows you how badly Green lost the room. Hughes wants to improve his defensive game yet Green was so desperate for a win, he wouldn't risk Hughes making mistakes. In a lost season... with his 21 year old defenseman.

Yes, Green would rather risk putting out a historically bad PK rather than try a kid on the units. It goes for Hughes, Pettersson, and Hoglander. It is a big reason why Green has been asked to collect the rest of his contract from home.

Hughes is far and away the best player the team has (along with Demko). Boudreau will ride Hughes in every situation he can because of it.

If this team is to have success, Hughes has to lead the blueline. It seems at times Green would actively prevent that. He fed him oodles of PP but there was no development elsewhere. Just comes down to Green having an old school approach to the game where players are pigeon holed into categories like old EA sports games.

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
You caught the best...and then you caught the best, after your kids game.... Win Win.

There is new found energy and excitement now: and it is tangible in the locker room.

It just might continue on the ice, if proper steps are taken.

P.S. to Aqua....back the f off our team.

Heh, three wins on the day for me. My youngest was in goal for his U9 team and they won; my oldest is defense on his U13 team and they won 6-3; and then I came home to the Canucks winning 2-1. It was a good night of hockey!

Reactions: Jimnastic and Ozone

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Yes, Green would rather risk putting out a historically bad PK rather than try a kid on the units. It goes for Hughes, Pettersson, and Hoglander. It is a big reason why Green has been asked to collect the rest of his contract from home.

Hughes is far and away the best player the team has (along with Demko). Boudreau will ride Hughes in every situation he can because of it.

If this team is to have success, Hughes has to lead the blueline. It seems at times Green would actively prevent that. He fed him oodles of PP but there was no development elsewhere. Just comes down to Green having an old school approach to the game where players are pigeon holed into categories like old EA sports games.

Yup, that's insane. And good on Hughes for not bitching to the media when things weren't working out, especially if he did make a request like that to Green. It shows character.

Reactions: Canuckle1970

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad