Post-Game Talk: Canucks 2 (Brock Boeser) Bruins 1 in a Shootout

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
This has looked like a different team these last two games. I'm not saying we out-played the Bruins, but heck, we were in this game the entire time and matched them step for step. If you can do that consistently against all teams, even if you play up or down to your opponents a bit, the likelihood is that you'll make the playoffs.

I really hope that for the rest of this year the priority is establishing our confidence and our identity. That goes for the team, but also for the individual players. We absolutely need to see what we have in players, what they can do or can't do, going into next season. And, we need to show promise and have fun, otherwise I wouldn't expect a guy like Horvat to want to re-sign long term.

Good start, let's keep this going and build some confidence.

Reactions: Jimnastic

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Aqua is like a lot of Canucks fans. Bandwagon. Why wasn't he heard from when the team was playing like shit?? No offense but Canucks fans come out of the closet more than...

Haha in his defense, what do you expect him to do?

If he posts things like "Hard fought game! Too bad we didn't get the result." he would be absolutely ridiculed.
If he posts things like "Piece of shit team, refs f***ed us." it wouldn't be favorable received by anyone.

Sometimes, when things aren't going good, it's best to keep your mouth shut. He did what he was supposed to do, make changes, he gets a pass right now.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
They weren't at all.

You know what was bullshit though was that Campbell's daddy was head of officiating and the Bruins were allowed to get away with such garbage that series.

Canucks continued to get hosed by officiating even through 2013 when the sharks had like 40 powerplays in 4 games

I think that was probably the angriest I ever saw Daniel Sedin.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I turned the game off after Smyl in the intermission.

"We need to initiate more, we have a good team that needs to play the right way".

This guy needs to be kept away from leadership roles in management. Clueless.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Haha in his defense, what do you expect him to do?

If he posts things like "Hard fought game! Too bad we didn't get the result." he would be absolutely ridiculed.
If he posts things like "Piece of shit team, refs f***ed us." it wouldn't be favorable received by anyone.

Sometimes, when things aren't going good, it's best to keep your mouth shut. He did what he was supposed to do, make changes, he gets a pass right now.

I also don’t think it would do the team or the market any favours if he tweeted things like “what the f*** was that tonight? What the hell am I paying these people for, did they forget how to play hockey?”

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Dickinson has been really good too lately which is nice to see

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's almost impossible to overstate how poorly the Canucks were coached under Green. An endless list of players acquired and signed by Benning who came to Vancouver and gradually started playing the worst hockey of their careers.

Dickinson is a classic case in point. He looks like a different player the last two nights. But the first 25 games into his career with the Canucks, he was reduced to being a replacement level player.

Boudreau in the post game presser said that the Wild and Stars played a lot of games in the Central Division, and Dickinson was an excellent player for Dallas. What happened to him when he came to the Canucks? You might as well ask, what happened to Schmidt? Couldn't wait to get out of town.

Sad reality for Benning, is that if he'd hired a guy like Boudreau after last season, he might still have his job.
Can back up BB's observations on Dickinson. One of those really good grinders that VGK has in droves, Dallas had when they were good, MN has now, and EDM never has.

BB is good at coaching in general, and especially coaching offensive talent. He understands(was a GREAT AHL scorer himself)that the goals don't always come, and is very encouraging, but also is pretty blunt as to what is expected. He got a 'washed up"Eric Staal to score 42 goals.

Oh, and if he likes a goalie or Dman he'll play them to death.

I'd pay to hear his interviews. Zero BS, lots of humour, little bit of hard earned wisdom. The man has lived.

Last edited:

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
55 games left in the season and 7 points out of a playoff spot and people don't think they have a chance at playoffs

ray-liotta-laughing.gif

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Is Garland not the best player/cheerleader ever?

Love that dude.

What a great teammate.

Edit: yes, I saw the great JT second in to celebrate with the birthday boy... wooooohooo.
Perfect.
Garland is fantastic. Best player on the Coyotes last year.

Reactions: Ozone

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Also feel I should clarify - it wasn’t my birthday yesterday - I was referring to it being Demko’s birthday. :laugh: But to those who said Happy Birthday to me, you’re very kind.
I was going to wish you well and I would promise to post only within the rules.... but since it was not your birthday, nevermind :nod:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Im seeing a lotta positive posts about Dickinsons game.. thats great to hear, did he really have a good one??

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The biggest shock is that we were competitive with the Bruins with the defense we iced most of last night. I mean that’s probably close to the worst D on paper I’ve seen from this team which has had some bad groups over the past few years. It really shows just how important the coaching system is when Hughes is really the only top 4 guy out there and the team still manages to eke out a win.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
The biggest shock is that we were competitive with the Bruins with the defense we iced most of last night. I mean that’s probably close to the worst D on paper I’ve seen from this team which has had some bad groups over the past few years. It really shows just how important the coaching system is when Hughes is really the only top 4 guy out there and the team still manages to eke out a win.
I agree but I'll add the weight of Green and Benning off the shoulders has been a boon to the players moral you gotta believe. Myers should also get some credit he gave everything last night !!

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
This right here just shows you how badly Green lost the room. Hughes wants to improve his defensive game yet Green was so desperate for a win, he wouldn't risk Hughes making mistakes. In a lost season... with his 21 year old defenseman.

One of the more confounding things Green would do is how he would punish and cradle the young players like they were babies. The stick Pettsersson on the bench for the last 12 min the 3rd while Beagle and the gang collapse and either give up the lead or just barely hold ruining Marky's shutout

It's like Green doesn't understand he'll have to live with some squeamish moments in the present, when he puts players in roles they are probably not suited for yet because in the future they will develop into players that can handle them and win.

Just a whole lotta short term thinking to get the "win now"

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
A win, Great.

It is hard to judge this team right now.
They are in the perfect world for another week or two.
Almost, if not perfectly healthy.
Totally rested
Given a new/different voice in the dressing room.
And what might be missed is - A most generous schedule for this home stand

"Scheduled wins"

LA was the 2nd of a back to back
The Peg comes in, another 2nd of back to back.
Carolina is the 2nd of back to back

The Bruins game was close even with the Canucks having the advantages, too close
They won and looked like they had fun which is really important.

The schedule maker blessed the Canucks with playing more teams in back to backs than they will and be the tired team.

Good SO win though

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant

Minor quibble - can we not refer to Hughes as a top pairing D man? Maybe even a #1. There are certain things he can't do because of his size, but he is so fast and proficient at retrieving the puck and getting out of his own zone, that it makes up for the things he can't do.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I turned the game off after Smyl in the intermission.

"We need to initiate more, we have a good team that needs to play the right way".

This guy needs to be kept away from leadership roles in management. Clueless.

Not really.

Minor quibble - can we not refer to Hughes as a top pairing D man? Maybe even a #1. There are certain things he can't do because of his size, but he is so fast and proficient at retrieving the puck and getting out of his own zone, that it makes up for the things he can't do.

I agree. The way he has played this year, he is affecting the game like a top pairing D man, 100%.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Agreed. My reference to him being the only top 4 was more to say none of the other guys are top 4. I wasn’t saying he’s only a top 4. He’s a top guy in my books.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad