Can someone explain the Canes celebration?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
How is that cringe? I didn’t say they started it, but that the teams copying them clearly adopted it from them when that soccer team had that magical run and made it mainstream in the western part of the world.
It just feels wrong, like if people would be calling pizza as american food because it was made popular by success in america.

And no, it was not an offense directed to you, just a general annoyance I feel about the subject.

Reactions: 555Upstairs

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Professional hockey is a ritualistic form of war. Grown men train year-round, paying attention to minute detail, to gain an edge on, to vanquish, the other, to win the triumph. No one's killing, but no one's letting up on the physicality either. The sport has a stoic and manic aura about it, whether the happy-go-luckies like it or not. Contrived celebrations are worthless detritus.
Counterpoint: there was a conconted media ado many years back about the ban of earrings and such trinkets in the Finnish Defense Forces, which is everyone's business in Finland because of the conscription.

So they went and asked a high-ranking General about the matter.

He kicked everyone's legs from under them by volunteering only a stoic non-aggravated notion that he doesn't really care and that the warriors of forntime used to decorate themselves with all kinds on shiny crap.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
I only hate it because its unoriginal. Cringe worthy when the toronto fc fans started doing it right after Iceland made it famous at the euros. Have fun. But be original.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Professional hockey is a ritualistic form of war. Grown men train year-round, paying attention to minute detail, to gain an edge on, to vanquish, the other, to win the triumph. No one's killing, but no one's letting up on the physicality either. The sport has a stoic and manic aura about it, whether the happy-go-luckies like it or not. Contrived celebrations are worthless detritus.

You some kind of expert in war?

You should see some of the silly shit those of us who actually fight wars get up to. Make what the Canes do after a game look like a f***ing squaredance.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
It's fun but wouldn't have hurt to have a little more originality than just ripping off Iceland. More power to them though.

How am I supposed to know what they do in ICELAND?!? :laugh:

And if they do this, what, they called dibs!? no one can ever do this except them, in the whole world??

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
"It's fun" ... many people perceive "fun" as something subjective. Fun can be getting hammered with alcohol out of oblivion and not remembering where they are the next day. Fun can also be taking a beautiful girl for a walk at the beach in a completely sober state. Fun is super subjective and if these kids are having fun with it great, I'm not one to spoil it for them. At the same time I also don't want people to tell me what I'm supposed to find cringe worthy or not. THIS is cringe worthy to me and I have to turn off the TV or change the channel when they do it. I just can't watch it because it looks just as silly as soccer players emulating some fortnite celebrations on the pitch. You wanna do it in front of million people, have at it, knock yourself out. I still think it looks extremely silly and wouldn't participate in it if I won the Stanley Cup and World Cup on the same day.

But that's just me, an old man dinosaur who doesn't know how to have fun, right?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
But that's just me, an old man dinosaur who doesn't know how to have fun, right?

Sounds like it :sarcasm:

You’re entitled to react to it however you want to. I think it’s incredibly goofy and would feel embarrassed doing it if I was forced to participate because I was on the team...but it’s nice to see athletes enjoying themselves.

These guys get to play a game for a career because of how incredible they are, so what would be worse than seeing that money sap the game of the joy & emotion that we all played for? That’s why I love silly stuff like this that gives the NHL the tiniest smidgeon of personality...even if I find the form these kids choose to express that joy in, odd...despite how much the hockey powers-that-be hate personality & fun. You’re free to disagree but I think that taking the emotion out of sports is always a disservice.

There’s just something supremely disonant about listening to someone like captain-serious Jonathan Toews talk about a children’s game with the seriousness of a commando who’s about to get dropped into the jungles of Myanmar to protect Muslim refugees from ethnic cleansing. Like his family would be put to death if Toews ever let himself emote.

Reactions: Critical91

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I know that this is a shock to hear on the internet...but not everything is about you. Sometimes the players do things for themselves.

Sorry for having an opinion on something on a message board.

It's up there with Sens Gladiator man, and that bizarre Vegas pregame show in the playoffs.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sorry for having an opinion on something on a message board.

It's up there with Sens Gladiator man, and that bizarre Vegas pregame show in the playoffs.

Yeah I edited in a smiley because that read a lot harsher than I meant it to :confused:

I just saw a nice set up to make a smartass joke while we waxed poetic about millennials and internet-culture ITT.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
After watching Douggie do the Fortnite dance:

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad