Can someone explain the Canes celebration?

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
AggravatingAlienatedFluke-small.gif
I have seen this kind of thing before...

Reactions: Socks

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
How am I supposed to know what they do in ICELAND?!? :laugh:

And if they do this, what, they called dibs!? no one can ever do this except them, in the whole world??
I mean Iceland did it in the most watched sporting event in the entire world, so it's not exactly obscure.

No dibs, just would be even cooler if they came up with something on their own or at least added a little twist. Can't criticize anything at all these days. I still think it's fine.

Keep in mind I'm also the type that thinks it's boring as hell how 99% of NHL chants are just "Let's go TEAM NAME"

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I started watching hockey in the 80s so I'm pretty sure that makes me a dinosaur here but why shouldn't teams have fun celebrating a win?

Ok so maybe some people think it's not "cool" but one of the things getting older has made me realize is how much time and energy I wasted worrying about what's cool. Especially because it was futile anyway :laugh:.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I love the fact the Canes are making it their life goal right now to piss all over the traditional ways hockey is supposed to be. From the GM move to wearing Whalers uniforms to hiring Brindy as coach to eliminating the dedicated radio call to now this, it's been fun watching the establishment trip over itself to condemn us.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I assume your talking about Detroit? Detroit is not a real hockey city either. They can't even fill up their arena. They are cringey as well with thier "hockeytown" name and the octopus nonsense. Atleast it has some background (8 wins to win the Stanley cup or something like that back in the day)
Yeah, definitely not as cool as throwing waffles on the ice like they do in real hockey markets.

Octopus nonsense? It's a tradition that goes back over 60 years to the original 6 era. What exactly do you consider a "real" hockey tradition if not that?

I always thought the Hockeytown thing was obnoxious and cringeworthy. As for the arena, after 20+ years of success, a terrible team and high ticket prices, it's not surprising they're having trouble filling the arena.

It's a great hockey market but the only sport Detroit fans will endlessly follow no matter how much they lose is the Lions.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Sounds like it :sarcasm:

You’re entitled to react to it however you want to. I think it’s incredibly goofy and would feel embarrassed doing it if I was forced to participate because I was on the team...but it’s nice to see athletes enjoying themselves.

These guys get to play a game for a career because of how incredible they are, so what would be worse than seeing that money sap the game of the joy & emotion that we all played for? That’s why I love silly stuff like this that gives the NHL the tiniest smidgeon of personality...even if I find the form these kids choose to express that joy in, odd...despite how much the hockey powers-that-be hate personality & fun. You’re free to disagree but I think that taking the emotion out of sports is always a disservice.

There’s just something supremely disonant about listening to someone like captain-serious Jonathan Toews talk about a children’s game with the seriousness of a commando who’s about to get dropped into the jungles of Myanmar to protect Muslim refugees from ethnic cleansing. Like his family would be put to death if Toews ever let himself emote.

As someone who had to go through some of the things necessary to make it as a pro-athlete I can sympathize with anyone who feels that way though even if we on the outside find THAT silly too. I can tell you from first hand experience that you give up a lot of quality of life just to achieve that.

Sure comparing somebody with soldiers (I don't think he did that) is silly, but as I said, there is a lot of physical and psychological stuff you go through as a child who is slated to become a "pro". And if I'd see some of these other kids go the other way and just act as if it all just be taking less serious , then I can see some getting offended by it. Maybe professional sports is not their thing. You can have just as much "fun" in Sunday/beer leagues.

On the other side of the medal you have something like this:

This is ingrained in South African football and it looks silly but.. "they are having fun". We haven't gotten there yet and I don't think we will, but I'd hate to watch the hockey equivalent of this.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
interesting why silly things piss off old people.

but just as interesting to see how silly childish things really seem to be embraced by the millennial culture.

not sure why that is...but the sillier and more ridiculous, the more it seems to be embraced by the inner child.

I suspect that your 1st sentence is a part of the answer to the question in your 2nd sentence...

Reactions: 555Upstairs

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
As someone who had to go through some of the things necessary to make it as a pro-athlete I can sympathize with anyone who feels that way though even if we on the outside find THAT silly too. I can tell you from first hand experience that you give up a lot of quality of life just to achieve that.

Sure comparing somebody with soldiers (I don't think he did that) is silly, but as I said, there is a lot of physical and psychological stuff you go through as a child who is slated to become a "pro". And if I'd see some of these other kids go the other way and just act as if it all just be taking less serious , then I can see some getting offended by it. Maybe professional sports is not their thing. You can have just as much "fun" in Sunday/beer leagues.

On the other side of the medal you have something like this:

This is ingrained in South African football and it looks silly but.. "they are having fun". We haven't gotten there yet and I don't think we will, but I'd hate to watch the hockey equivalent of this.

I absolutely get the work and sacrifice that it takes to make it as a pro athlete, and I remember realizing as a kid that I just wanted to have fun playing hockey. Not make the crazy commitment that some of the kids I played with were making because they wanted to get drafted. I understand the dedication & sacrifice it takes; I have too many friends that scout or coach in the 1st or 2nd Bundesliga not to appreciate the dedication that getting to that level entails.

...but that doesn’t change the basic facts that we’re talking about a game played for fun because it is entertaining to large numbers of people, and losing sight of that like the NHL has, just makes things feel surreal. The NBA does a much better job of this, as would i say does the football world...although that says more about the NHL than how much just having fun is embraced in the top German footballing academies lol.

PS that’s a clip from an allstar game of some sort and I dunno how that didn’t make you laugh.

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Every indication is that the celebration was a player initiated decision, with much of the credit likely going to Justin Williams, since he was leading the first time they did it.

If Williams, a veteran player who has been to the top and back (multiple times) sees it as just a fun celebration, I can't see why anyone would take it as anything but.

Reactions: SvechNecas

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Love it.. Extremely odd people have an issue with it.

Hockey is supposed to be fun and entertaining

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
interesting why silly things piss off old people.

but just as interesting to see how silly childish things really seem to be embraced by the millennial culture.

not sure why that is...but the sillier and more ridiculous, the more it seems to be embraced by the inner child.

So, I'm very much a "get off my lawn" type and John Torterella is my spirit animal. But having said that, people don't get what it has been like in Raleigh. We had a very passionate local fanbase going into and for years after the cup win in '06. The fans stuck with the teams through many disapointing years, still turing out in great numbers even when Rutherford iced ridiculous teams.

Then finally fans stopped coming, as for the past several years with the promise of Ron Francis to rebuild smartly and despite all the changes nothing got better.

Then a new owner shows up, burns the rulebook, and everybody is like "you guys are so screwed lol the team is moving to QC ahahaha", and then it turns out all these unconventional moves are exactly what the team needed to be good. So the team is lit, the fans are lit and you will see some irrational exuberance as a result.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->