Confirmed with Link: Cam Talbot to the MN Wild (3yrs $3.67AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Given Holtby and Khudobin's extensions, and Matt Murray rumored to be looking at 4x6.25, I'm very okay with this.

Sure, it's not a steal of a contract, but it literally can't be worse than this last season. And if he does start sucking, we move him.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
no they didn't. Rittich was worse than Stalock and they gave up fewer goals because again, their D is as good as the Wild's if not better. Talbot hadn't been good at all in three years but did ok playing 26 games. Now he's the Wild starter, and it's no lock that he'll be better than Stalock or Kahkonen but he's making more money than either one.

Yes, the Wild needed a goalie upgrade. Not too convinced this is the guy. The money isn't terrible obviously but like with the Johansson trade what purpose does downgrading a little bit serve except to buy some trade deadline flexibility?
Talbot played above his xGA in Calgary. if he plays to his xGA here he's in the Vezina conversation here. The signing absolutely makes sense and he's as good a goalie to take a gamble on as any stop-gap option available, I just don't know that he won't decline over his 3 years here.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Forget Holtby. Russo says the Wild don't need that kind of personality.

milesfj

Jul 15, 2020
He was never going to sign that cheap while leaving Dallas. That signing reflects nothing on the signing of Talbot.

either way, talbot is our guy. lets see if we get the .893 guy 2 years ago or the 9.19 guy last year.

i am truly hopeful that he plays like he did in NYR with the top defense in minn

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota
Talbot played above his xGA in Calgary. if he plays to his xGA here he's in the Vezina conversation here. The signing absolutely makes sense and he's as good a goalie to take a gamble on as any stop-gap option available, I just don't know that he won't decline over his 3 years here.

Dude will be 35 by the end of the contract. Decline should absolutely be expected.

I'm kinda annoyed as he might get in the way of the tank this year if he doesn't decline right away, but I know most around here probably still want the team to compete so I'm not gonna whine too much. And throwing Kahkonnen as the full time starter might've wrecked him anyway if things didn't work out so maybe it's a good move from a developmental standpoint, too.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Dude will be 35 by the end of the contract. Decline should absolutely be expected.

I'm kinda annoyed as he might get in the way of the tank this year if he doesn't decline right away, but I know most around here probably still want the team to compete so I'm not gonna whine too much. And throwing Kahkonnen as the full time starter might've wrecked him anyway if things didn't work out so maybe it's a good move from a developmental standpoint, too.
Even factoring in decline, he's better than Stalock.

Reactions: Hamms Mann

milesfj

Jul 15, 2020

tanks dont worth with rigged drafts :)

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
Not super mad nor super thrilled. We needed a goalie and targeted a guy we wanted ( it's done) Some people will say what about Kak and his playing time? Speaking as a former goalie, young goalies are really a crapshoot it's a total mind game and they need to be insulated. Look at the draft hardly anyone will take a goalie in the 1st round because you need calm, mature guy in net . Confidence is the key and that takes time to acquire. I can recall as a goalie thinking in a 2-2 game wow nothing is going to get by me and the next game the team plays like crap and everything is going in?

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Idk much about Holtby’s personality so I’d appreciate if someone enlighten me.

I do know that everyone locker room seems to love Talbot and I liked him a lot with the flames this season.

Guerin has signed many good locker room guys, it's obviously a part of this culture change. Win or lose, now the locker room will look like a party every night, and not a funeral...

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
this season cant count. 3/4 of the teams made it to the playoffs

I think my point still stands - Stalock was our 1A goalie and made us somewhat competitive. Now we bring not only a goalie whos good enough to replace Dubnyk (a goalie who lost us games) but also good enough to push Stalock down to 1B. Again, forwards are another thing but if all else stayed equal, we just got an upgrade in a huge liability of ours for a decent contract.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
There are legitimate questions about the term and/or salary, but I can't understand anyone being surprised that they signed a goalie like Talbot
All about term to me. With so many avg goalies available in that tier, wtf are we the one always handing out an extra year.

Double dislike as my two preferred option are still available. Probably could have got Crawford on one year deal with bonuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad