Confirmed with Link: Cam Talbot to the MN Wild (3yrs $3.67AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Hasn't Crawford had problems with injuries last few seasons?

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I don't see what the problem with his interview is. As long as he can stop a puck who cares?

On a side note, when I visited his home city of Ontario, I found it quite strange that I was in Canada, and yet south of Minnesota.

Honestly, though, I like this signing. Of all the available goalies, he was toward the top of the list for me. That he could be had for fairly cheap and fairly short term makes this quite nice. That was all I really wanted in a goalie. I like that this insulates Kahknonen for a year, but not to a degree that he can't earn starts at the NHL level as early as this season, and especially once Stalock is gone.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
No chance I would give Crawford 2 years on a 35+ contract
I'd rather have that than 3 years that brings Talbot to the same age.

But I'd wish for once GMs got creative. 1 year deals on 35+ contracts can have bonuses and we have tons of caproom. Probably could have got Crawford at 1 year with 3.5 guaranteed, an additional 1 m each for 30 games started, .915 save percentage and like 15 wins.

If he does all those things he's worth the 6.5 mil

Edit: 15 wins is too little, 20 wins

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

But I'd wish for once GMs got creative. 1 year deals on 35+ contracts can have bonuses and we have tons of caproom. Probably could have got Crawford at 1 year with 3.5 guaranteed, an additional 1 m each for 30 games started, .915 save percentage and like 15 wins.

Would the bonuses count for this year or next year?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

Why in the world would you pay Crawford $6.5M for being an average goaltender?

Reactions: TaLoN

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Would the bonuses count for this year or next year?
Either. If you have the cap space(which we currently do) they count for this year. But they can roll over if need be like ELC bonuses.

Only time I can remember a GM taken advantage of this rule is Boston with Iginla. With him the two years he was there the bonuses rolled over.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Either. If you have the cap space(which we currently do) they count for this year. But they can roll over if need be like ELC bonuses.

Only time I can remember a GM taken advantage of this rule is Boston with Iginla. With him the two years he was there the bonuses rolled over.

We don’t have $3M this year and rolling them would be incredibly risky.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Why in the world would you pay Crawford $6.5M for being an average goaltender?
It's paying him for atleast being an average goaltender. It's getting a goaltender who has always been great when healthy, and paying him for being healthy, without adding a long term commitment.

You could get fancier. Break the 1 millions down. 500k for 15 wins and additional 500k for 25. 500k for 500k for .910 an additional 500k for .920, etc.

Offer him a good guarantee, and a chance to make great money for being great by sacrificing term.

We don’t have $3M this year and rolling them would be incredibly risky.
We have 40 m next year in cap space, and the base is less than Talbot with only greenway to sign and 4 mil left. and Kaprizov is the only other player eligable for bonuses.

If they both hit all their bonuses it would be worth it and we would figure it out

Last edited by a moderator:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It's paying him for atleast being an average goaltender. It's getting a goaltender who has always been great when healthy, and paying him for being healthy, without adding a long term commitment.

You could get fancier. Break the 1 millions down. 500k for 15 wins and additional 500k for 25. 500k for 500k for .910 an additional 500k for .920, etc.

Offer him a good guarantee, and a chance to make great money for being great by sacrificing term.
I like the thought of a 1 year deal with incentives, it's just that your numbers were way off. Alex Stalock would have made $5.5M last year under that contract.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I like the thought of a 1 year deal with incentives, it's just that your numbers were way off. Alex Stalock would have made $5.5M last year under that contract.
I'm a number of beers deep, so it was more of a generality of the idea.

And if Stalock was a career .918 goalie, with a .917 last year(with a terrible D core), id be more than happy to give him that contract. With a deal like this to Crawford and his injury history it's like 1/3rd paying for results, 2/3rd paying for actually playing(because the results are likely to be there.

The incentives have to be hittable for a 1 year deal.

But, like I said. What's done is done. Hate the 3rd year, but he's the goalie now, even if he was like 4th on my list. He'll probably do a fine job for a year or two with our D.

But I suspect we'll be eating money on it in year 3

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2Pair

grimmel95

Jan 13, 2016
Minnesota
Folks I think we might be missing the boat here on Kahkonen. On Russo’s podcast he had Scott Wheeler on and he talked about KK. He said he projects as a #2 not a number 1 as do most scouts when asked. Could it be also that GMBG and staff think the same. Maybe Talbot getting the 3rd year is really more for Jones than KK.

Reactions: Hamms Mann

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
Folks I think we might be missing the boat here on Kahkonen. On Russo’s podcast he had Scott Wheeler on and he talked about KK. He said he projects as a #2 not a number 1 as do most scouts when asked. Could it be also that GMBG and staff think the same. Maybe Talbot getting the 3rd year is really more for Jones than KK.

Wheeler also said in that same podcast he doesn’t like Jones NHL potential very much.

I think KK can be a number 1 in this league. Seems like he’s done well everywhere he’s been. Who really knows though. Did people see Khudobin and Kuemper becoming what they are now?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

Goalies are impossible to scout. There is a reason guys like Pronman and wheeler don't even attempt to grade goalies or put them in their prospect lists.

They say that about any goalie that isn't a 1st round pick, or isn't 6'4" +.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Wheeler also said in that same podcast he doesn’t like Jones NHL potential very much.

I think KK can be a number 1 in this league. Seems like he’s done well everywhere he’s been. Who really knows though. Did people see Khudobin and Kuemper becoming what they are now?

Honestly Khudobin still isn't a reliable or top starter. He did get hot at the right time. I think most people thought Kuemper could be where he is, the Wild just didn't have the time to find out.

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
Was a teammate with Zuccarello from 2010 to 2015 in both Rangers and The Whale. Served as Lundquist backup in their last Cup finals. He was a good goalie back then. Haven't followed him since he left Rangers in 2015. Back then where Hank was the undisputed King.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Best UFA signing of last off season? Maybe I'm spacing on a couple, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.
Best value. I’d rather have added Pietrangelo, but Talbot was a good diamond in the rough to unearth, and I don’t think people are giving him enough credit for the season he’s having. Yeah, we knew he would be good in our system based on the amount of high-danger chances we give up relative to other teams, but we haven’t made it as easy on him as we made it on goalies in the last. Dubnyk let in a over a goal above expected per game last year, the worst statistical season in that regard we had seen since the statistic was developed. Talbot, on the other hand, is actually one of the best goalies in the league in terms of goals saved above expected this season.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Curious to see how he does in the playoffs, which is where our goaltending has typically been, uh... not an asset. He made it to the 2nd round with Edmonton and Calgary and had a 0.924 SV% both years. I don't think we've gotten similar playoff goaltending since 2017 when Jake Allen went crazy and made it moot.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So far, Talbot is making most of us who posted here pretty clueless. He is rivaling, and probably beating Staal for the best value FA signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad