Confirmed with Link: Cam Talbot to the MN Wild (3yrs $3.67AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
We’ve been waiting for Kahkonen to make the jump for a while now. If they’re not going to move Stalock to give him a shot as a backup, I’m not sure they see him and an NHL player.

I mean, I'd much rather go Talbot/Kahkonen this year, but I was just considering the rumblings from Russo about him at least starting in Iowa again.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
HFWild- our defense is so good that all we really need is a league average or better goalie and we will be fine.

Also HFWILD- why the hell would Guerin bother to sign a league average or better goaltender?
Yeah, I'm lost. What did people expect to happen here? :laugh:

If Holtby and Greiss sign for 2x2 elsewhere this kinda sucks, but it's very much in line with expectations.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Yeah, I'm lost. What did people expect to happen here? :laugh:

If Holtby and Greiss sign for 2x2 elsewhere this kinda sucks, but it's very much in line with expectations.
There are legitimate questions about the term and/or salary, but I can't understand anyone being surprised that they signed a goalie like Talbot

Reactions: Bazeek

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Yes, which shows how bad the goaltending was. Calgary had pretty good goaltending, we didn't.

We make a goaltender's job easy, yet Calgary gave up fewer goals.

That's about goaltending.

no they didn't. Rittich was worse than Stalock and they gave up fewer goals because again, their D is as good as the Wild's if not better. Talbot hadn't been good at all in three years but did ok playing 26 games. Now he's the Wild starter, and it's no lock that he'll be better than Stalock or Kahkonen but he's making more money than either one.

Yes, the Wild needed a goalie upgrade. Not too convinced this is the guy. The money isn't terrible obviously but like with the Johansson trade what purpose does downgrading a little bit serve except to buy some trade deadline flexibility?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
no they didn't. Rittich was worse than Stalock and they gave up fewer goals because again, their D is as good as the Wild's if not better. Talbot hadn't been good at all in three years but did ok playing 26 games. Now he's the Wild starter, and it's no lock that he'll be better than Stalock or Kahkonen but he's making more money than either one.

Yes, the Wild needed a goalie upgrade. Not too convinced this is the guy. The money isn't terrible obviously but like with the Johansson trade what purpose does downgrading a little bit serve except to buy some trade deadline flexibility?

He had a bad 2018-19. That's about it for his career.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
CapFriendly poll: Was this a good signing? 80% voted no...ugh

Talbot is not that bad.

milesfj

Jul 15, 2020
good grief. khudobin is going to get 3 year 3.5 to stay in dallas
stupid signing of talbot

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
He had a bad 2018-19. That's about it for his career.

in 17-18 he had a .908 save percentage in one of the few years he had to actually start as a number one. Put another way, worse than Stalock's this past season.

He's 33. What you see is what you get.

Not a lot of miles, but streaky. As I said, he's a slight upgrade on Stalock, not necessarily one on Kahkonen. And it begs the question of why - what is this team trying to do?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

xGA% says the Wild defense is FAR better than Calgary's defense. The goal differential after that says Calgary's goaltenders were better despite their defense making their job much more difficult.

Stalock had a very easy job compared to the goaltenders in Calgary. The fact that their stats were similar is a slight against Stalock, not a slight against either Calgary goaltender who had much tougher saves to make on a regular basis.

That's how xGA% vs actual goals allowed works. It analyzes the level of work a goaltender is facing.

An avg goaltender is going to have top tier stats behind our defense. We had only below avg goaltending last season.

Reactions: 123TripleDoge

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Remember, Alex Stalock was our 1A goalie last season and we made it into the playoffs.
Our 1B weighed us down with a below .9% save percentage. And we still made the playoffs.

Now, Stalock is our 1B because we got a better goalie. Imagine how well the team will be with out having a 1A/1B goalie giving us below .9% save.

Forwards is a different issue but in terms of goalie, it seems like we got a really really good bandage for the next few years.

Reactions: TaLoN

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
in 17-18 he had a .908 save percentage. Put another way, worse than Stalock's this past season.

He's 33. What you see is what you get.

Not a lot of miles, but streaky. As I said, he's a slight upgrade on Stalock, not necessarily one on Kahkonen. And it begs the question of why - what is this team trying to do?

Playing in front of Edmonton. Are you going to say that their defense is better than ours too?

milesfj

Jul 15, 2020
Remember, Alex Stalock was our 1A goalie last season and we made it into the playoffs.
Our 1B weighed us down with a below .9% save percentage. And we still made the playoffs.

Now, Stalock is our 1B because we got a better goalie. Imagine how well the team will be with out having a 1A/1B goalie giving us below .9% save.

Forwards is a different issue but in terms of goalie, it seems like we got a really really good bandage for the next few years.

this season cant count. 3/4 of the teams made it to the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad