Prospect Info: Calle Clang, goaltender (3rd round, #77 overall, 2020)

The Grim Reaper

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
It is, but it is also the cost of making really safe and bland picks like these while also going off the consensus board that have no huge upside.

It's just a stupid thing to do drafting two goaltenders and is arguably way more in the vein of picking for "positional need" then BPA.

Some teams have waited 50+ years for a cup, a single cup, quit bitching.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
JR, or any GM, wasn’t brought in to give a shit about our prospect pool. They were brought in to bring our city cups. He did that that. Whether GM JR is now a good fit is a different question.
Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Phil Kessel, Matt Murray, and MAF brought the city Cups.

And yeah, it's pretty apparent that the GM hasn't given a shit about the prospect pool (or anything else for that matter) for years.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I haven't looked at who's still undrafted as I just woke up from a nap but literally any other player in the draft. Because the odds are better on them being ready sooner, and on them being a more valuable trade prospect sooner.

And also because given the ease of finding really good players drops least for goalies in later rounds, I pretty much just never want to see a goalie taken in the top 100 unless it's Askarov at 77th.

Great name though.

edit:

p.s. Scout report compilation reading but I'd have *loved* to have taken a punt on Samuel Johannesson with this puck - overage RD who'd have probably gone last year if he hadn't been slow progressed due to his age.

Think Zayde Wisdom is still on the board too, as well as Miettenen and Rashevsky for two swing for the sky approaches.

Rashevesky is fair.

For me, Smilanic, Foudy, Gushchin and Poirier going right before this pick makes me completely fine with it.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
No, they should just like pick players that have a high upside because they keep talking about our "two year window" and these picks literally do nothing to help us. It's why I didn't give a shit about trading the 1st because our team regularly does questionable things when he have top picks.

No pick at either of those spots would be in that 2 year window. I am fine with the picks. If our scouting staff had those goalies as the best player available then great. If they turn out to be as good as Murray and Jarry who we picked in the 2nd and 3rd rounds then they most likely will be the best picks of their rounds. Can never have enough good goaltending.

As far as the two year window goes I think that has already been put in motion. Pens loaded up using out 1st round picks to get Zucker and Kapanen which I am all for. Rutherford surrounded his core with young, fast, and skilled players. If anything Rutherford has extended the window by getting rid of the old and slow players and surrounded the core with players in their primes. This window is now open until Crosby and Malkin no longer can produce like top tier talent. Is that 2 years? Who knows but it won't be because of the players around them aging and getting worse. Rutherford has done a great job of extending the window with great adds such as Zucker, Kapanen, Pettersson, Marino, and Matheson.

This team is now young and fast around the core and I love it. Bring up Poulin and get a decent 3 RD and I will call this the perfect off-season. I am fine going into the season with a Poulin-McCann-Tanev 3rd line. If they show they can't handle the job then trade for a 3C at the deadline. McCann was playing with two anchors in the playoffs. McCann was known as a decent 3C in Florida so I am fine starting the year with that type of line.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't get what is so controversial about being frustrated by these picks. I mean, I've been happy overall with what JR has managed to do this summer and moving Murray for a somewhat decent return is another addition to that. These picks just don't fit with the overall "get young to extend the window" message he's been pushing.

These two picks just don't really match up with what they've been doing this summer and don't speak to me as BPA. They speak to me as "uh oh" we traded our goalies better get some.

They both are somewhat reaches and from everything I read this draft was full of sure thing forwards. Why would we not take one and use it as an asset or as a replacement for one of Rust or Kapanen in the coming years?

Reactions: EightyOne

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
I just want to draft a Vasilevsky type, I truly think he's the beast goalie in the NHL and has been since the year we faced TBL in the conference finals

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
At the start of the 2019-20 season, Clang was expected to be, at best, a seventh-round draft pick. However, after a strong season where he has proven that he has true NHL potential, this outlook has improved.

As of now, Clang appears to be a fifth-rounder but he could easily be selected in the fourth or slide into the sixth-round. It really depends if/when a run on goaltenders happens. If top names go off the board early in the third round, it wouldn’t be unexpected for him to go late in the third, either.

Blomqvist, I can see, but this wasn't BPA. This was a reach.

I trust our goalie scouts. They are a great judge of talent. Also I disagree with him being a reach. I seen in several places him being ranked in this area. But like I said, all trust our goalie scouts over any publication.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
To me, JR is just replenishing the goalie prospect pool that has been neglected for years. The Penguins have only drafted 1 goalie since 2013, that was Gustavsson and he's no longer in the organization. I don't have a problem with him getting some goaltending talent, especially considering the last Penguins goalie taken in the 3rd round was Murray.

He's a guy I feel could have been taken with a later pick, so I'm not sure I get not trading down here.

Plausible.

Not sure it's as plausible as the 'JR forgot he drafted a goalie in the 2nd round' angle, but your point is taken nonetheless.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
that’s JR’s motto in a nutshell: “the last time I [brought this player in] [tried to go all in on speed] [fill in the blank] it worked. So I’m gonna do it again!”

goofy.jpg

Reactions: Andy99

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Wonder what the odds are that one of these guys will be a future starter for us. I kinda like the shotgun approach to picking.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Rashevesky is fair.

For me, Smilanic, Foudy, Gushchin and Poirier going right before this pick makes me completely fine with it.

Foudy would have made people here happy. Speeeeed!

I will say this for Clang - reading his profile in the HockeyProspect Black Bible and it actually makes him sound really good, even if they have an NR on him:

"Clang is a big goaltender with a good net presence. He is notably trying to control his crease and his own zone by being vocal and communicating with his defensive players. It's not unusual to see him leave his crease to try to make plays and long passes and he is okay at doing that, but his stickhandling and passing skills could use some more work to be truly efficient.

His goaltending was somewhat inconsistent at times as he tried to be the leader and the hero his team needed in many games where they were facing a superior opponent which led to him being out of position at times. But more often than not he did manage to stop the puck and make a save despite being out of position since he will never ever give up on a puck. He will fight and battle for every puck and every save he can make, and his superb athleticism allows him to succeed in that aspect of the game. Clang has superb lateral quickness which allows him to stay with the shooter longer than most other goaltenders without risking being overplayed by a pass.

As stated above, his compete levels are through the roof, but he could really benefit from some more patience by trying to read the plays more often instead of reacting to plays. Overall, he’s done a good job saving pucks all season, but there are a couple of weaknesses to his game that stand out. One being low glove and one being him going down to his butterfly too soon, leaving chunks of net open high above his shoulders."

He sounds like a MAF, he's 6'2", he's definitely got some building blocks.

Philosophical objections to this pick aside, it seems pretty cool. But there are also the objections of this org being seemingly hell bent on death and glory short term, and there being picks with a far better - if still small - possibility of contributing in some way in the window. Even if Rashevsky isn't ready in two years, a big year from him would leave a tradeable asset next off-season. Clang won't be.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Hey guys we have a kid who just turned 25, made our two-time Cup winning goalie who was only 26 expendable, and had an all-star caliber season in his first real NHL campaign

I have mixed feelings. On one hand, you should always go BPA. On the other hand, do we really need 2 goalies in the same draft? Plus Jarry is only 25.

Eh, yeah that's pretty much it. We all thought Murrs was gonna be the guy for the next decade or so. Look how that worked out. All of a sudden, we're certain Jarry is here for the long haul? Zero goalies of note in the pipeline. Not anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad