Prospect Info: Calle Clang, goaltender (3rd round, #77 overall, 2020)

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Wonder what the odds are that one of these guys will be a future starter for us. I kinda like the shotgun approach to picking.

Like...0.05%

A goalie?
We just took one how many do we need?
Isn't our cupboard bear?

They aren't good enough to start now....or they'd have been selected earlier

Therefore, why waste picks on goalies who aren't starting anytime soon when you can easily find low level UFAs to sign to play for Wheeling/WBS.

This is straight up an idiotic pick.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Like...0.05%

They aren't good enough to start now....or they'd have been selected earlier

Therefore, why waste picks on goalies who aren't starting anytime soon when you can easily find low level UFAs to sign to play for Wheeling/WBS.

This is straight up an idiotic pick.

I love your optimism

Reactions: EightyOne

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Eh, yeah that's pretty much it. We all thought Murrs was gonna be the guy for the next decade or so. Look how that worked out. All of a sudden, we're certain Jarry is here for the long haul? Zero goalies of note in the pipeline. Not anymore.
I mean, they both broke out at pretty much the same time. We didn't have Murray and draft Jarry the year after he broke out.

And the rest of our prospect pool is hot garbage.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I mean, they both broke out at pretty much the same time. We didn't have Murray and draft Jarry the year after he broke out.

And the rest of our prospect pool is hot garbage.

And that was why I felt we draft some forwards and hope we get a top 6 guy in a few years or a defensemen.

Tbh the draft picks this year is more for tailwind of Crosby's contract and the new generation

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
We already restocked our pool over last few years. That allowed us to add Kapanen and Zucker(whether or not we still would have gotten them without adding Addison and Hallander IDK but it still let us make our team better now).

We have Poulin, Legare, and POJ as our top prospects right now. I believe Poulin and POJ will be difference makers. Starting this season...maybe towards mid season and into the playoffs. Then depending on the year Legare has, he could be ready for the following year.

If they end up both being top 6 caliber then that allows us to trade Rust before he becomes a UFA for example. Or even Zucker. Since we wont be able to keep everyone. Letang, Malkin, Rust, Kap, McCann all FAs in 22...Dumo, Zucker in 23.

Moves will need to be made. And hopefully by then we have a new GM. Someone who gets max returns on some of those guys. Id trade Dumo, Letang, and Rust if POJ pans out to be top 4 and Marino ends up being top pair. Along with Matheson being a Niskanen /Schultz clone. Trading Dumo, Tang, and Rust instead of letting them walk could help us retool this team quick instead of going thru a full rebuild.

So alot depends on guys like Poulin, Legare, POJ right now as higher end guys. Along with Matheson , Petts, and Marino when it comes to talking about moving Dumo and Letang.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
JR was pissed at Schultz. Not only did we not get to trade him due to being hurt but he also cost us in the playoffs and still walked for nothing in return. You either want to make sure you get a good trade for someone entering UFA or at least make sure they help you during a playoff run.

If handled right, we could really maximize our assets and extend this window with Sid and Geno. Not becoming the Wings of last era. Or Hawks and Kings of this one. Hanging onto guys too long. So while the thought of trading Dumo seems ridiculous right now, Im talking about in 2 years , when he will have a year left on his deal. He will still bring us back something great(right now I say he would get us a top 20 draft pick...hopefully by then he stayed healthy and will still be under 31 so he should get us the equivalent of a first rounder . but since teams hold picks higher than prospects...we could get a top prospect for him). As for Letang, who knows. We have to see if he wants to stay here for cheaper or if he wants to at all. As for Rust and/or Zucker....both should still be good enough to let us move them for younger players who can be as good.

I see no reason why we cant still compete when Sid and Geno are 37-38 if we handle these trades/moves right.

And adding two goalies today was better for our prospect pool than anything else. First, when you take goalies this high it puts their name on the map. Second, all they need to do is play well in our system the next few years and we then have a top asset to trade. And our AHL team will be much better than it has been lately these next few years so...that will help as well.

Also leaves us the option of having Jarrys replacement in 3 years just in case. Having 2 options is better than 1

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
And that was why I felt we draft some forwards and hope we get a top 6 guy in a few years or a defensemen.

Tbh the draft picks this year is more for tailwind of Crosby's contract and the new generation
I think Sid plays close to 40 a la Thornton, but I wouldn't be surprised if Geno and/or Letang are done in two years, assuming the team continues to trend downward and they continue to battle injury yearly.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think Sid plays close to 40 a la Thornton, but I wouldn't be surprised if Geno and/or Letang are done in two years, assuming the team continues to trend downward and they continue to battle injury yearly.

Yeah, 20 goal pace Letang and 90 pt pace Geno are just going to retire in a year because of things.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I mean, they both broke out at pretty much the same time.

Seeing as this past season was the first time Jarry saw a ton of action, and Murray won his first cup in 2016, not sure I can agree with that. Jarry developed some pedigree in the meantime, sure, but they were never really on the same "level" until this past season.

Point still stands that Pens likely thought they were set longterm with Murrs, then got burned. They want to make sure they have some internal options if Jarry flames out in a few years as well.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
These players could have had 4 or 5 Stanley Cups if the right moves where pulled off....sucks man....Got rid of way to many 1rst round draft picks after Kessel left..Junky Defense after Kessel left as well...So I feel Ya man..

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah, 20 goal pace Letang and 90 pt pace Geno are just going to retire in a year because of things.
Two, and yeah, I know you're adamant it's an impossibility but they deal with injuries year after year, they'll be 36, and this team will be closer to the bottom of the standings than legitimately competing.

If they don't retire, they could look elsewhere for one last shot at a Cup, or we'll hand them feel-good contracts because they want to keep playing and we can't bear to part ways with them even if it makes no sense to pay three 35/36 year olds ~$20 million+.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Two, and yeah, I know you're adamant it's an impossibility but they deal with injuries year after year, they'll be 36, and this team will be closer to the bottom of the standings than legitimately competing.

If they don't retire, they could look elsewhere for one last shot at a Cup, or we'll hand them feel-good contracts because they want to keep playing and we can't bear to part ways with them even if it makes no sense to pay three 35/36 year olds ~$20 million+.

Letang is the most competitive player on this team. No chance he retires at 35.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I think everyone on HFPens should add "downer" to the screen name

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Must be upsetting being so miserable all the time. Change your username to Big Friggin Downer.
Realism is hard to grasp for some I guess.

Super, over the top pessimistic to envision a team that's been circling the drain for a few years and a core that's already 34 is going to continue said trend, and said core could retire or move on when they're 36 and their contracts are up. :eyeroll:

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

So extending Geno and Letang qualifies as “feel-good contracts”? We have no idea what their salary requirements will be for the next contracts. I’m pretty confident Geno will be a lifer here if he doesn’t go to Russia.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Super, over the top pessimistic to envision a team that's been circling the drain for a few years and a core that's already 34 is going to continue said trend, and said core could retire or move on when they're 36 and their contracts are up. :eyeroll:

I mean, it is. Players of Malkin, Crosby and even Letang's caliber do not fall off the way you're anticipating. And nothing about them says they are ready to move on or retire.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
So extending Geno and Letang qualifies as “feel-good contracts”? We have no idea what their salary requirements will be for the next contracts. I’m pretty confident Geno will be a lifer here if he doesn’t go to Russia.
At 36 years old and on the downswing of their career? Yeah. Handing them expensive deals (they're not gonna sign dirt cheap contracts, c'mon) when we should be selling off and aiming for a 3-5 year rebuild by then counts as "feel-good contracts".

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

Theres a massive difference between being realistic and pessimistic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad