Prospect Info: Calle Clang, goaltender (3rd round, #77 overall, 2020)

The Grim Reaper

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
1. Our defense is already better without Schultz and JJ.

2. We added Marino last year. That was huge. He should only get better with his high hockey IQ.

3. We have POJ who continues to get better. Signed Maniscalco who looks like will at least be a solid bottom pair Dman. Then there is Reilly, Lee, etc.

While also having Petts who is still only 24.

Our D is fine. Now and going forward imo.

I largely agree. Our defense isn’t the problem on our team (now), it’s good enough or will be good enough come a trade deadline. I’m confused by how some posters think a late second or third round pick IN THIS YEARS DRAFT will right this ship.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
To those unhappy- who would have been your alternate selections and why are they better?
Literally any position but goalie, seeing as we have a grand total of two forwards and one blueliner in the system who may ever sniff the NHL, and our current goalie just turned 25 and had an all-star season last year?

How is the frustration so hard to understand?

The Grim Reaper

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
Explain to me the rationale behind drafting two goalies with Jarry already in your net, all the while being absolutely barren in the way of forwards and blueliners beyond Poulin and Legare (and I guess POJ, who is probably at best a bottom pairing, Ruhwedel-caliber guy right now).

A better question, who would you have drafted instead?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Well, I guess I did say go BPA.

tenor.gif

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
A better question, who would you have drafted instead?
Any. Position. But. Goalie. ???

How is that so hard to grasp? :laugh: There was one objectively wrong direction to go, goaltending, and we picked two goalies. POJ seems like a borderline AHL/NHL player, i.e. nothing of significance. We have no blueliners beyond that. We have Poulin and Legare, who seem great but that's probably because this prospect pool has been so awful for so long that any forwards with relative upside seem great to us.

I don't care how much you or anyone else wants to play the nonchalant, "it's all good, trust the process" card--these two picks suck. :laugh: The second far more than the first, but still.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Anyone that isn't goalie. These picks are in line with a team that is beginning a rebuild. If we are beginning a rebuild we could have easily gotten through next year without Kapanen and with Simon in the top nine.

If we are trying to compete and be a contender over the next two years, draft big potential, high bust prospects that are attractive in deals for a NHL ready trade or rental over the next two years.

Sprong is a perfect example.

Literally any position but goalie, seeing as we have a grand total of two forwards and one blueliner in the system who may ever sniff the NHL, and our current goalie just turned 25 and had an all-star season last year?

How is the frustration so hard to understand?

Neither of you answered the question though. While I’m not trying to appeal to authority (realize I am), I am inclined to trust the Pens scouts over both of you. No offense.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
I largely agree. Our defense isn’t the problem on our team (now), it’s good enough or will be good enough come a trade deadline. I’m confused by how some posters think a late second or third round pick IN THIS YEARS DRAFT will right this ship.
I don't mind the goalie picks myself....hopefully we get a better 3rd line and a decent defender...

Reactions: The Grim Reaper

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Hey guys we have a kid who just turned 25, made our two-time Cup winning goalie who was only 26 expendable, and had an all-star caliber season in his first real NHL campaign. It's totally fine that our prospect pool ranks worst in the league and has for years, we're gonna go out and trade the 15th overall that fell into our lap and then draft 2 goalies with your first two picks.

Trust the process™ or some garbage. :laugh:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don't mind the goalie picks myself....hopefully we get a better 3rd line and a decent defender...
But you don’t get that in the draft. Even most 1st round picks won’t make the NHL this year.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Neither of you answered the question though. While I’m not trying to appeal to authority (realize I am), I am inclined to trust the Pens scouts over both of you. No offense.
I'm not a scout, I don't give a shit about anyone beyond like the top-15 (and outside of people paid to know and/or fanatics, nobody else does either). It's just a pretty simple equation of "Hey, our prospect pool is trash and we have one of the youngest starting goalies in the NHL who just had a stellar season, maybe don't pick two f***ing goalies back to back".

But JR doesn't give a shit. :laugh: He's done after another disappointing 1st round exit or missing the playoffs entirely this season, so why even bother?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
To those unhappy- who would have been your alternate selections and why are they better?

I haven't looked at who's still undrafted as I just woke up from a nap but literally any other player in the draft. Because the odds are better on them being ready sooner, and on them being a more valuable trade prospect sooner.

And also because given the ease of finding really good players drops least for goalies in later rounds, I pretty much just never want to see a goalie taken in the top 100 unless it's Askarov at 77th.

Great name though.

edit:

p.s. Scout report compilation reading but I'd have *loved* to have taken a punt on Samuel Johannesson with this puck - overage RD who'd have probably gone last year if he hadn't been slow progressed due to his age.

Think Zayde Wisdom is still on the board too, as well as Miettenen and Rashevsky for two swing for the sky approaches.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Yeah, they have really hit it out of the park with their one played with over 100 games players outside of the 1st round in the last six draft record.

3rd draft with this director of scouting, so of course no one in NHL yet. Previously took Addison, Hallander, Legare in this range. I would say all 3 at least look good as prospects (2 other teams thought so).

The Grim Reaper

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
I'm not a scout, I don't give a shit about anyone beyond like the top-15 (and outside of people paid to know and/or fanatics, nobody else does either). It's just a pretty simple equation of "Hey, our prospect pool is trash and we have one of the youngest starting goalies in the NHL who just had a stellar season, maybe don't pick two f***ing goalies back to back".

But JR doesn't give a shit. :laugh: He's done after another disappointing 1st round exit or missing the playoffs entirely this season, so why even bother?

JR, or any GM, wasn’t brought in to give a shit about our prospect pool. They were brought in to bring our city cups. He did that that. Whether GM JR is now a good fit is a different question.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
But you don’t get that in the draft. Even most 1st round picks won’t make the NHL this year.
None of the first rounders except maybe Lafreniere will make it first year...some of the 1rst rounders will never make it..

Reactions: Jacob

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I have mixed feelings. On one hand, you should always go BPA. On the other hand, do we really need 2 goalies in the same draft? Plus Jarry is only 25.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad