Prospect Info: Calle Clang, goaltender (3rd round, #77 overall, 2020)

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
At 36 years old and on the downswing of their career? Yeah. Handing them expensive deals (they're not gonna sign dirt cheap contracts, c'mon) when we should be selling off and aiming for a 3-5 year rebuild by then counts as "feel-good contracts".

Again, you don’t know what kind of contracts they’re going to require — they’ve made millions. They may prioritize other things over money.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
At 36 years old and on the downswing of their career? Yeah. Handing them expensive deals (they're not gonna sign dirt cheap contracts, c'mon) when we should be selling off and aiming for a 3-5 year rebuild by then counts as "feel-good contracts".

That could be a good move. But if we are the kinda organization to sell Geno and Tang down the river once they are over the hill, that might not seem very enticing to stars who might want to play their career here. If there are any players that deserve loyalty its Geno Tang and Sid

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Theres a massive difference between being realistic and pessimistic.
What's overly pessimistic about thinking two guys who have struggled with pretty serious injury on a yearly basis for their entire careers could retire at 36 years old, having already won three Cups and made tens of millions of dollars, or go to another team more poised to compete for one last Cup before they hang 'em up?

Lord, when they finally do retire I imagine some of you guys will fall to your knees and weep. :laugh:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Again, you don’t know what kind of contracts they’re going to require — they’ve made millions. They may prioritize other things over money.
Ovechkin is going to set an ugly precedent, and their agents won't be down to let their bread and butter clients accept paltry deals.

Liberty Biberty

Nov 15, 2010
I think Sid plays close to 40 a la Thornton, but I wouldn't be surprised if Geno and/or Letang are done in two years, assuming the team continues to trend downward and they continue to battle injury yearly.

I tend to agree with you about Crosby...but if Thornton had 3 cups would he still be hanging around? I dont see any of them wanting out if things get bad (doesnt mean they wont get traded or asked to waive for a full rebuild), but I could definitely see injuries playing a part in early retirement. And in Genos case, living in a different city than his kids.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Jim thought he heard someone said Changs and thought he was deciding on where to order lunch from.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
1. Our defense is already better without Schultz and JJ.

2. We added Marino last year. That was huge. He should only get better with his high hockey IQ.

3. We have POJ who continues to get better. Signed Maniscalco who looks like will at least be a solid bottom pair Dman. Then there is Reilly, Lee, etc.

While also having Petts who is still only 24.

Our D is fine. Now and going forward imo.

I agree, Rutherford has brought in a ton of youth on the defense in the last 2 years. Marino, Pettersson, and Matheson all in mid to low 20's and also trading and signing players like POJ, Maniscalco, and Lee. I personally think our defense is in a good spot both in young players on the team and prospects close to NHL ready. Letang is the only defenseman not in his 20's so it is not like we have a ton of room for players to come in anytime soon.

Rutherford also done a great job with making our wingers much younger and faster by adding Zucker and Kapanen recently. Also drafting Poulin and signing one of the top college FA's in O'Connor. Wingers are all in prime with not many openings coming soon either. I am fine with our winger situation both now and for the foreseeable future.

Centers are something we could use but let's face it no Center picked even in the middle of the 1st will ever come close to replacing a Crosby or Malkin. Those replacements will have to come from a couple years of tanking.

Goaltending was our 2nd biggest need beside Center. The difference is these two picks can turn into our next Jarry and Murray and can provide years of cheap quality goaltending. Those two have a much better chance of becoming starting goaltenders for the Pens than any Center we could of drafted becoming a good top 2 line Center. Our history of drafting goaltenders is much better than drafting Centers outside the very top of the 1st round.

Those rankings of our prospects mean nothing. They have been saying that for years and the Pens have added many quality players over those years. Guentzel, Rust, and Murray helped win Cups along with many other players to a lesser extent. Prospects are overrated anyways. It doesn't matter if you draft the young players or trade for young players such as Pettersson, Marino, and Kapanen. As long as you keep the team young around the core your doing your job and Rutherford has done a great job of that. Give these goalies a chance. I sure will and believe they can provide more value than any player drafted after them. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
They take BPA.

That's assuming our scouts properly assess BPA. Kind of like how Lauzon and Hall were apparently BPA and chosen at those spots for those reasons.

Said it in the previous thread, but I'd honestly rather they just shoot for the moon and draft a highly skilled (but flawed) forward or defenseman at these spots and worry about goalie depth either later in the draft or through free agency.

Reactions: farscape1

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Anyone that isn't goalie. These picks are in line with a team that is beginning a rebuild. If we are beginning a rebuild we could have easily gotten through next year without Kapanen and with Simon in the top nine.

If we are trying to compete and be a contender over the next two years, draft big potential, high bust prospects that are attractive in deals for a NHL ready trade or rental over the next two years.

Sprong is a perfect example.

This team has already added the needed pieces for that strategy. We added some good young defenseman both on the team and others who can be ready over the window like POJ, Maniscalco, and Lee. Any defenseman drafted in those spots wouldn't have any chance to help during that window and wouldn't be necessary to trade to get anything we need. Get me a decent 3 RD and a veteran back up goalie and all go to war with this team. Best lineup in years in my opinion.

Guentzel-Crosby-Kapanen
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
Poulin-McCann-Tanev
ZAR-Blueger-Sceviour
Lafferty

Dumoulin-Letang
Matheson-Tanev
Pettersson-Marino

Jarry
Veteran back up

That is a great lineup to start the year. If McCann doesn't cut it we can trade for a 3C at the deadline. We still have good trade bait for that. POJ could bring in a very good 3C if needed and he isn't as needed now that we have 3 LD in their 20's in the NHL. Personally I don't think we will need to use him as trade bait. I think that 3rd line will do very well. Rutherford might find a 3C before the season but I would be fine going with the forwards we have now.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
That's assuming our scouts properly assess BPA. Kind of like how Lauzon and Hall were apparently BPA and chosen at those spots for those reasons.

Said it in the previous thread, but I'd honestly rather they just shoot for the moon and draft a highly skilled (but flawed) forward or defenseman at these spots and worry about goalie depth either later in the draft or through free agency.

We have had many busts when we tried that strategy. You also cited some bust defenseman we drafted but every team has many players that don't pan out in those draft positions. Also Lauzon had a career ending injury the year after being drafted that ruined any chance of him developing. Plus all take out scouts record of drafting and developing goaltenders over defenseman any day. Most of our best defenseman have been brought in through trades after they have been almost fully developed such as Dumoulin, Pettersson, and Marino. Of our projected defenseman depth only Letang was through the draft. As I said in my last post, it doesn't matter how you get the young talent as long as you get it.

Honestly these boards bitch more than anyone I know. You have the most successful hockey franchise over the past 30 years and we still hear constant bitching. Rutherford has built a great young team around his core 3 players and I hear nothing but bitching about him and this team. I for one am really excited about this group. So much speed and talent added and all deadwood gone. Some people just need to bitch. All take Kapanen any day over any of those players drafted 15th or lower. One of them might turn out better but many won't. Even if you pick the right one that does it won't help this team like Kapanen will. By the time those players are ready to help it will be time to tank. I will trade my mid to low 1sts for players like Zucker and Kapanen anytime. You get 100% NHL talent when many mid to late 1st round picks bust or become much lesser players than them. Problem is most of you don't even know when someone is doing a great job. You don't deserve to enjoyed having such great years as we have had.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
We have had many busts when we tried that strategy. You also cited some bust defenseman we drafted but every team has many players that don't pan out in those draft positions. Also Lauzon had a career ending injury the year after being drafted that ruined any chance of him developing. Plus all take out scouts record of drafting and developing goaltenders over defenseman any day. Most of our best defenseman have been brought in through trades after they have been almost fully developed such as Dumoulin, Pettersson, and Marino. Of our projected defenseman depth only Letang was through the draft. As I said in my last post, it doesn't matter how you get the young talent as long as you get it.

Honestly these boards bitch more than anyone I know. You have the most successful hockey franchise over the past 30 years and we still hear constant bitching. Rutherford has built a great young team around his core 3 players and I hear nothing but bitching about him and this team. I for one am really excited about this group. So much speed and talent added and all deadwood gone. Some people just need to bitch. All take Kapanen any day over any of those players drafted 15th or lower. One of them might turn out better but many won't. Even if you pick the right one that does it won't help this team like Kapanen will. By the time those players are ready to help it will be time to tank. I will trade my mid to low 1sts for players like Zucker and Kapanen anytime. You get 100% NHL talent when many mid to late 1st round picks bust or become much lesser players than them. Problem is most of you don't even know when someone is doing a great job. You don't deserve to enjoyed having such great years as we have had.

Thanks for the lecture. I still don't like taking goalies early in the draft.

Reactions: farscape1

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Clang.....Changs.....PF Changs.....

He apparently loves PF Changs...

Laugh Dammit Laugh!!!!!

Chang's making the picks...

ConcernedUnimportantIslandwhistler-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: USMC607 and domaug

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Probably because they don’t think BPA is BPA and everyone hyped the draft for forwards. Honestly, I’m fine with it. It’s just like, I dunno, a goalie year or something.

Reactions: Freeptop

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I have mixed feelings. On one hand, you should always go BPA. On the other hand, do we really need 2 goalies in the same draft? Plus Jarry is only 25.
I think what the idea is is that Jarry is a UFA in 3 years and there's a good chance we aren't going to want to pay him. This will hopefully give us options as the guys drafted will be going into their 4th post draft season by then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad