Calgary Flames coach Darryl Sutter denies abuse allegations from 2019

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
A mob of idiots/SJW's who feel it's their place to pass judgement on perceived offences they really know nothing about, causing public outcry and influencing prospective employers from hiring for fear of negative press. Judgement is passed in the public eye and not in the courts, on things as simple as rumors. That's cancel culture. Oh and it's not the majority in an outrage, it's usually just a loud minority on a crusade that can have serious impact on the accused regardless of their innocence or guilt, it's the modern day version of the lynch mob.

It's annoying yes, however it is hardly a leftist only driven thing. Both sides do it.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
I f***ing hate cancel culture. Nowadays it seems that people all over get their kicks from ruining people's lives. Yes, some out there legitimately deserve to have their lives ruined (Harvey Weinstein for example) but otherwise this whole "cancel this person, cancel this, cancel that" is just grossly toxic.
Sutter is so canceled that he was given a 3 year coaching job in the NHL

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
I do not get the attitude of some people that hates accusations being made.

The nhl has been full of people treating concussions terribly but to call that out is apparently only okay if you weren't about of that problem?
The accuser has no credibility. That’s the issue here. You can’t act like a tool your whole life, then one day decide you are better and start making accusations. It doesn’t work like that. Fine if he wants to be a better person and stop torturing people, that’s great and he should do that. But he has lost the right to be a mouthpiece for the anti bullying, anti racism movement as he was a racist bully his whole life

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
One silver linings is the cancel Karen's are starting to cancel each other.
What’s this new thing about certain people (usually far right) using ”Karen” to describe certain people they don’t like?

”Karen” is and will always be a conservatist white right winger. Make up a new name, don’t steal from others.

HotPie

Dec 3, 2007
The accuser has no credibility. That’s the issue here. You can’t act like a tool your whole life, then one day decide you are better and start making accusations. It doesn’t work like that. Fine if he wants to be a better person and stop torturing people, that’s great and he should do that. But he has lost the right to be a mouthpiece for the anti bullying, anti racism movement as he was a racist bully his whole life
I think people are just pointing out the irony of people railing about "cancel culture" and digging up what "people did in the past", when this thread is filled with people cancelling Carcillo for stuff he did in the past.

I'm not condoning what Carcillo did, and the kind of person he was/is now, it's just a little ironic.

Reactions: iCanada

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
I think people are just pointing out the irony of people railing about cancel culture and digging up what "people did in the past", when this thread is filled with people cancelling Carcillo for stuff he did in the past.

I'm not condoning what Carcillo did, and the kind of person he was/is now, it's just a little ironic.
I don’t care for “cancelling” Carcillo. He’s irrelevant. I just don’t believe a word he says because he’s a proven piece of shit. When it comes to these kinds of accusations, i take them seriously if the source is credible, but it seems like people don’t seem to understand that the source matters. Even in this article you have to open it and read it before it’s clear that the accusations are from a known piece of shit. The article should read “known idiot carcillo accuses sutter of something...” instead of tarnishing his reputation by propagating this bs. Carcillo has lost the right to accuse anyone of anything, that’s my point

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
You argued there is some mob going out and ruining lives through cancellation. Sorry, I do not believe that is the case, and instead what we have is standard accusations being levied and the internet providing a ton of outlets to discuss those things, leading to things getting viral and becoming front and center very quickly.

Do you think Carcillo is part of this mob? Or the mob enticed him to make these accusations? Where does the mob fit in?

While I dont generally share his sentiment, the viral environment of Twitter functions like a mob. Sometimes for good causes like disaster relief and awareness, or outing some of the people who stormed the capital. In modern times its just a funnel for overly political echo chambers. The mechanics of following and blocking people, means that over time your "Twitter feed" gets more and more narrow until it totally reflects your views. Its just a feedback loop of positive reinforcement for a lot of people.

By definition thats a mob mentality. Now that mob/feedback loop can range from Flat Earth conspiracies to Anti Vaccine nonsense, all the way down to cute cat memes and be totally harmless. Its entirely up to what the person considers to be positive reinforcement of their own ideas.

While I think his stance is overly dramatic and hardly as widespread as he makes it sound; its somewhat disingenuous to simply dismiss it as a boogeyman, despite the increasing tendency for employers to cut bait with employees at the first signs of negative viral PR. Obviously this doesn't include people like JR/Cherry who have morality and standards clauses in their contracts since they are fair game from a legal standpoint.

Reactions: Oddbob and Korg

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
What does it matter? Carcillo isn’t the Flames HC.
Um because it's a racist and terrible person calling others out for doing minor things.

I'm pretty sure BizNasty said Carcillo was an awful human being and Commodore defended Darryl after these allegations. I'll trust them over a known liar and attention seeker.

Reactions: Dicky113

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
He's been doing this for 5 years at this point. So no I'm not at some he's a lost cause not capable of making solid improvements.

And when it comes to concussions I know things he said were true and it maybe took a big thing like his close friend who was thrust back into games early killed himself, he's done things right to shine a light on issues.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
He's been doing this for 5 years at this point. So no I'm not at some he's a lost cause not capable of making solid improvements.

And when it comes to concussions I know things he said were true and it maybe took a big thing like his close friend who was thrust back into games early killed himself, he's done things right to shine a light on issues.
All Carcillo wants is attention. He needs to just shut his mouth and stop playing victim.

Reactions: Dicky113

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007

Agree to disagree. I am not saying he should be stoned to death, I just think he should shut the f*** up, listen to others and walk the straight and narrow from here on out. Keep improving yourself Dan, just not interested in anything anyone has to say that at any point in their lives walked around in a bathrobe with a swastika embroidered on it.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
All Carcillo wants is attention. He needs to just shut his mouth and stop playing victim.
I think he actually wants the culture that has lead to a lot of trauma and suicides to end.

If Tom Wilson who clearly doesn't get it now, 5 to 10 years ago is pushing for better concussion protocol and treatment I'll embrace that too, and not deny his view of it.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
I think he actually wants the culture that has lead to a lot of trauma and suicides to end.

If Tom Wilson who clearly doesn't get it now, 5 to 10 years ago is pushing for better concussion protocol and treatment I'll embrace that too, and not deny his view of it.
No, he wants to cancel anyone who was ever mean to him at some point.

While ignoring the fact that he is racist. Rules only apply to other people.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I f***ing hate cancel culture. Nowadays it seems that people all over get their kicks from ruining people's lives. Yes, some out there legitimately deserve to have their lives ruined (Harvey Weinstein for example) but otherwise this whole "cancel this person, cancel this, cancel that" is just grossly toxic.

Call it what it is: bullying.

It's a bunch of losers with zero power or control in their own lives that get their rocks off by taking down people with any kind of remote degree of success, because they're insecure as f***.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I think people are just pointing out the irony of people railing about "cancel culture" and digging up what "people did in the past", when this thread is filled with people cancelling Carcillo for stuff he did in the past.

Carcillo is angling to impact Sutter's career. People here are just complaining about Carcillo. Apples and oranges.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Yeah! Cancel Carrillo! :sarcasm:
Who in this thread or anywhere else is trying to prevent Carcillo from getting a job/getting fired?

Reactions: notsocommonsense

HotPie

Dec 3, 2007
Who in this thread or anywhere else is trying to prevent Carcillo from getting a job/getting fired?
"Cancelling" doesn't begin or end at someone losing their jobs, it's also widely perceived as silencing the views of someone they disagree with. Kind of what people are doing with Carcillo based on stuff he did in the past.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Hate the Flames, but Carcillo is dumb. Trying to cancel Sutter is so far beyond stupid.

As I said before in the hiring thread, the Sutters are a bunch of hard as **** Alberta bred farm boys. They’re cut from a different type of cloth when it comes to toughness.

Thats what my grandpa used to say as he would physically discipline me when I was a kid. Funny thing is that he lived on a farm in central Alberta.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I watched him abuse Marleau as a rookie and for a handful of years after.

Probably a huge reason he’s going to break the all time games played record.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad