Calgary Flames coach Darryl Sutter denies abuse allegations from 2019

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
"Cancelling" doesn't begin or end at someone losing their jobs, it's also widely perceived as silencing the views of someone they disagree with. Kind of what people are doing with Carcillo based on stuff he did in the past.
You don't get to be a bully and racist pos your whole life and then claim you're a victim the moment it fits your narrative.

He is the biggest hypocrite for calling people out for being "bad people".

I had a bully and don't think he is necessarily a bad person. You have to let things go from your past and move on.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
"Cancelling" doesn't begin or end at someone losing their jobs, it's also widely perceived as silencing the views of someone they disagree with. Kind of what people are doing with Carcillo based on stuff he did in the past.
And how are random users on hfboards perceived to silence a former hockey pro with what I imagine, tens of thousands of followers on social media?

You can't cancel someone unless you are in some way in a power position.

HotPie

Dec 3, 2007
You don't get to be a bully and racist pos your whole life and then claim you're a victim the moment it fits your narrative.

He is the biggest hypocrite for calling people out for being "bad people".

I had a bully and don't think he is necessarily a bad person. You have to let things go from your past and move on.

You know, being a bully during a large chunk of your life while also being a victim of potential abuse are not mutually exclusive, they can occur simultaneously.

I'm not saying Carcillo might not have questionable motives here, but to dismiss him out right because he was an awful human being in the past is a little weak, especially since he's done good and seemingly tried to reform during his post-NHL career.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

Pandemonia

Aug 30, 2020
You know, being a bully during a large chunk of your life while also being a victim of potential abuse are not mutually exclusive, they can occur simultaneously.

There is research which shows that many bullies only get that way after being a victim of abuse themselves.

HotPie

Dec 3, 2007
And how are random users on hfboards perceived to silence a former hockey pro with what I imagine, tens of thousands of followers on social media?

You can't cancel someone unless you are in some way in a power position.
So I guess what you're saying is Carcillo isn't trying to cancel Sutter? Since he's not in a "position of power".

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
If you want to see a lynch mob, reread the thread thus far and see how people are talking about Carcillo.

People should be (and are) allowed to question the legitimacy of claims (again look at this thread, how many people in it have been "canceled"?). What's a much bigger problem is when people aren't able to bring claims of abuse forward in the first place.

Lol what are you arguing?

HotPie

Dec 3, 2007
Yes? No one in this thread are trying to cancel Carcillo.
Trying to silence/ostracize him based on the kind of person and the stuff he said in the past is part of cancel culture, so yes, people are trying to "cancel" him.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
There's a difference between having a view and making unsubstantiated accusations. A view is an opinion. An accusation is throwing dirt.

When you make public defamatory accusations that are almost impossible to disprove, against another person, its impossible to put that stink back in the bottle. Carcillo knows this.

Carcillo has been a POS all his life and he's still a POS. The only difference now is that he's trying to get people to believe that he's a reformed POS.... by publicly outing people he doesn't like and making uncorroborated abuse accusations.

Am I making an accusation about Carcillo? Absolutely but my accusation is supported by multiple reported instances and people. They are facts. Carcillo's accusation isn't.

Reactions: Nanuuk

HotPie

Dec 3, 2007
People who are not in a position of power can't silence or ostrocize anyone.

Dude, I'm not saying that anyone here has the "ability" to "cancel" Carcillo. I'm saying that trying to silence/ostracize someone like people are doing here with Carcillo is part of cancel culture. And it's hilariously ironic.

Anyway, this conversation is going in circles. Peace out.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
The only reason for Carcillo to make this accusation at this point in time is to cost someone his job. Just like Aliu did looking for his 15 minutes of fame. Ignore Carcillo.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
People always attack the accuser. That is sad. Like the small town principal who raped a cheerleader. Given the attitudes toward concussions I believe the accusation has credibility.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Trying to silence/ostracize him based on the kind of person and the stuff he said in the past is part of cancel culture, so yes, people are trying to "cancel" him.

Who is trying to silence Carrillo? I personally won’t listen to his shit because he comes across as someone crying out for attention on a regular basis, often without anyone else backing up his claims.

Crying wolf comes to mind.

Add to that the fact that he was a dirty POS during his playing days, he comes across as a huge hypocrite.

I listen to people I respect, that’s pretty much the way the world works.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
People always attack the accuser. That is sad. Like the small town principal who raped a cheerleader. Given the attitudes toward concussions I believe the accusation has credibility.
So believe the one guy who says something bad who is a complete dirt bag while ignoring the rest of the people who have nothing but good things to say about him?

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Every coach in every professional league should be cancelled according to these accusations.

Coach talked mean to someone in front of others? Check. Cancelled.
Coach physically touched someone? Check. Cancelled.

JFC, this happens all the time. It goes the other way too.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The allegations being made was worthy of an article. The fact that so many players supported Darryl Sutter and exposed the claims as likely false definitely furthered the story and was worthy of an article. Is the fact that Darryl also denies that they were true really worthy of an article?

I feel like all that an article like this does is re-create the link between Darryl Sutter and the baseless allegations, which is counter to the actual contents of the story. Is it really worth writing?

Reactions: Osprey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad