Calgary Flames coach Darryl Sutter denies abuse allegations from 2019

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
The way these things usually evolve is that witnesses come forward once others already have. Carcillo may have been an on-ice "dirt bag" but I am not aware of anything in his past which would cause one to question his candour. Also, the Los Angeles Kings locked Sutter out of their locker room.
Yet since he made these remarks in the past, no one has come forward to say the same thing. That should speak volumes about what he's saying. So the players locked him out, is he the first or last coach to be locked out of the locker room?

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Cancel culture was strong in some ways for most of history I imagine.

But when unions were strong and mostly about protecting their members, was an electrician or teacher in 1992 at risk of losing is jobs or is lives (that seem a bit dramatic when talking about forever) for uttering a very mainstream opinion ?

Cancel culture for saying something more than 55% of the population believe in, is that really since forever ?

When cancel culture is aimed at an indian woman off the Reply All podcast or a Mexican electrician, I am not sure it is aimed at the very people that have been at the forefront of cancel culture for centuries, for one obviously she was not alive back then, but I am not sure her type had much power into cancelling people.

In the fifties tonnes of people got cancelled when they were accused of being communists. It didn't matter if it was true or not. It was called McCarthyism.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Twitter isn't a mob. It is a social media platform.

Mob formation and hysterical overreactions are an emergent property of social networks connected at a scale and speed exponentially larger and faster than our minds evolved to process. IMO the phenomenon you guys are arguing about can’t be significantly changed without limiting the speed with which these networks can amplify content

Steve776

Feb 8, 2021
I grew up then, and none of my teachers ever said or did anything that would merit being "cancelled".
One of my teachers smacked this Mark kid right across his face in grade 6 or 7. Nobody on this planet deserved a smack to the face more than Mark lol. The mouthy little f*** face.
Nowadays she'd probably get fired, the poor woman. Nobody deserves to get fired for smacking the Mark's of this world. If anything we should throw them a parade.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Believing Carcillo is like believing Trump when he says the election was stolen from him.

It's fine to be a SJW and all, and to fight for the little guy and try to make things right in the world...but you also have to understand bad people are using that search for justice to try to gain power and profit for themselves, too. When Aliu talked about his experiences, he was (and is) credible. Carcillo is not. Learn to spot those wolves in sheeps clothing, fellas.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I tend to believe Carcillo.
He's come out in the last few years to speak out about a lot of things. What has he to gain?
He's surely not going to be making many friends through this kind of exposure.
Sutter is of the old guard of hockey. They are good hockey people .. but are infused with an old abuse centred modality of the code. We have seen it time and time again raising it's ugly head.
Players like Carcillo have had to explore the edgy side of playing the game in order to have a job. This is encouraged.
It aint pretty but this kind of exposure will most likely continue until this old guard has finally been put to rest.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I tend to believe Carcillo.
He's come out in the last few years to speak out about a lot of things. What has he to gain?
He's surely not going to be making many friends through this kind of exposure.
Sutter is of the old guard of hockey. They are good hockey people .. but are infused with an old abuse centred modality of the code. We have seen it time and time again raising it's ugly head.
Players like Carcillo have had to explore the edgy side of playing the game in order to have a job. This is encouraged.
It aint pretty but this kind of exposure will most likely continue until this old guard has finally been put to rest.
Totally - looking at what he’s saying it makes sense and holds up that it’s probably accurate. If someone wanted to make shit up it wouldn’t be this stuff. Also makes sense that Sutter would deny it in the way that he is.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
There are legitimate times when a person is "cancelled" unjustly and it's a case of the public opinion being turned against them before all the facts come out.

However, most of the time, any claims about someone being "cancelled" is just someone being held accountable for their actions, actions that they SHOULD be held accountable for.

Take Mike Millbury for example. After his firing, there were SO many complaints about "cancel culture." But that wasn't the case with Millbury. That was a case of a man with very sexist tendencies toeing/crossing the line one too many times and the network finally deciding he probably shouldn't be allowed to represent them on national TV. The "final straw" wasn't the worst thing he's said, but the cumulation of history made it a wide idea not to continue to give him a platform.

In more recent news, Dr. Seuss isn't being "cancelled" either, despite the claims otherwise. His own estate is removing certain books from production because they contain blatantly obvious racist images and language. And everyone's aware that it's likely a product of the time in which he wrote those books rather than a strike against Dr. Seuss himself, but it's still not something we should be showing children in their books.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Take Mike Millbury for example. After his firing, there were SO many complaints about "cancel culture." But that wasn't the case with Millbury. That was a case of a man with very sexist tendencies toeing/crossing the line one too many times and the network finally deciding he probably shouldn't be allowed to represent them on national TV. The "final straw" wasn't the worst thing he's said, but the cumulation of history made it a wide idea not to continue to give him a platform.
Only a sexists would think his comments were sexist.
In more recent news, Dr. Seuss isn't being "cancelled" either, despite the claims otherwise. His own estate is removing certain books from production because they contain blatantly obvious racist images and language. And everyone's aware that it's likely a product of the time in which he wrote those books rather than a strike against Dr. Seuss himself, but it's still not something we should be showing children in their books.
Great idea. Never learn from history. Burn every book containing something that is considered sensitive in 2021.

Reactions: Satoru Gojo

HotPie

Dec 3, 2007

Great idea. Never learn from history. Burn every book containing something that is considered sensitive in 2021.

Yeah, being "sensitive" to "racism" is something unique to 2021. :sarcasm:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Does anyone care? For starters, it is Dan Carcillo. Secondly, that's it, a "kick"? Man, even if were true, these guys should be happy they weren't around in the original 6.

HotPie

Dec 3, 2007
Look up the word ''racism'' in a dictionary before you reply to me again.
I know what racism means. Not sure what your point is. That's not true, I know what your point is, it's just disingenuous AF. Dr. Seuss stopped the publishing of certain books due to racist undertones. If you're gonna somehow claim that that doesn't fall under "racism", you're deluded my dude.But yeah, the woke SJW mob is so out of control that people are cancelling themselves now!

Keep on being outraged at the "woke SJW lynch mob". It's funny, because for some reason, I doubt you were so outraged about cancel culture when the Dixie Chicks and Colin Kaepernick got cancelled, although I don't expect you to be honest about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Javaman

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
I would like to report my old preschool teacher, because she asked me to leave a room once, because I was causing havoc. She should lost her job! (or pension what evah).

Reactions: thaman8765678

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

If you can't see why children shouldn't be exposed to the racist imagery and language at a time in their life when they're most impressionable, I'm not sure what to tell you.

But nonetheless, the point still stands. It wasn't "cancel culture" that stopped the printing of those books. It was Seuss's own estate, done of their own volition

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
If you can't see why children shouldn't be exposed to the racist imagery and language at a time in their life when they're most impressionable, I'm not sure what to tell you.

But nonetheless, the point still stands. It wasn't "cancel culture" that stopped the printing of those books. It was Seuss's own estate, done of their own volition
Look up the word ''racism'' in a dictionary before you reply to me again.

Reactions: Satoru Gojo

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

I think the point is that we are learning from our history....by not publishing blatantly racist imagery and phrases.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
How did this thread turn into a philosophical discussion of "cancel culture'?
.... which by the way, is a stupid recently made up term that only came into existence through internet social media by persons who felt their internet voices were being ignored... which is all something we should do to Daniel Carcillo. He's an idiot. Always has been.. always will be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad