Prospect Info: Cale Fleury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
not in the 1st game, it was Fleury that was way out of position leaving Kulak to defend against 2 players that resulted in the goal. I don't know about the leafs game since I didn't see that much of it.
I might be fuzzy on my memory but IIRC Fleury/Kulak looked to be overwhelmed for the first half of the first period. They were hemmed in for a good part of a shift and then when they finally gained some time and space to clear the zone Fleury put a pass in the forwards skates (Thompson?) which resulted in a turnover and the Leafs first goal.

I don't remember anyone in the GDT being all that upset with the play other than pointing out that it was a mistake.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I might be fuzzy on my memory but IIRC Fleury/Kulak looked to be overwhelmed for the first half of the first period. They were hemmed in for a good part of a shift and then when they finally gained some time and space to clear the zone Fleury put a pass in the forwards skates (Thompson?) which resulted in a turnover and the Leafs first goal.

I don't remember anyone in the GDT being all that upset with the play other than pointing out that it was a mistake.

I don't usually go in the GDT but there were several posters jumping on Fleury before the game turned in the Habs favor.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
This is exactly why we can'thave nice things here. Live with the growing pains of a young player, for christ sakes. Its two games in, mistakes are going to happen

So much this. Mistakes are a good thing if you learn from them. They are valuable because they offer data on what you shouldnt do, which is as informative as what you should do.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So much this. Mistakes are a good thing if you learn from them. They are valuable because they offer data on what you shouldnt do, which is as informative as what you should do.

for sure as hockey is a game of mistakes and taking advantage of them, you just have to be careful with 18, 19, 20 year old rookies. At least they aren't doing what MT did like that game vs Pitt where he made 2 boneheaded plays that lead to goals and we lost the game. He was benched and next day or two he was back in Hamilton. If you are going to do that, don't even bother to bring them up until you see them showing improving in their defensive game.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Well Petry stated that he preferred having a stay-at-home D as his partner. Being a vet and our best defenseman, it seems reasonable to try to accommodate him.

I think kulak did well and is still an option, but you have to try Chiarot for a while.

Also Chiarot has been playing fine so far. People need to stop deciding who is going to play well or not ahead of games being played. The bias is obvious and it just makes posters look stupid when they keep babbling nonsense about everything. Same with obsessive MB and CJ haters.
Gain Chariot but lost Kulak this way. No real gain. Like to build Kulak value up for trade late in year. Good chance they trade picks and/or multiply players for top LD doubt Mete or Chariot be one to go.

As far as the MB bashers go, you have to show some patience. No everybody has good knowledge of the game.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I just don't think a fluery/kulak pairing is a good fit for either player. Each of those guys needs a stabilizing partner.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So it only took 2 games for Fleury to be a healthy scratch, man do I love how this team handles 20 year olds, such a great way to develop them. Preseason is a joke, did they think his defensive issues from last year just disappeared?

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
So it only took 2 games for Fleury to be a healthy scratch, man do I love how this team handles 20 year olds, such a great way to develop them. Preseason is a joke, did they think his defensive issues from last year just disappeared?

To be fair it's a back to back and Folin & Reilly need to get into some games too. I have no problem with him sitting one out.... now if they want to sit him for long stretches.. then might as well send him down...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
To be fair it's a back to back and Folin & Reilly need to get into some games too. I have no problem with him sitting one out.... now if they want to sit him for long stretches.. then might as well send him down...

Fleury is 20, he doesn't need rest a week into the season. It's a matter of messing with players confidence and it only took 2 games to do so. Who cares about Folin and Reilly, they likely won't even be here in a year or so.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Fleury is 20, he doesn't need rest a week into the season. It's a matter of messing with players confidence and it only took 2 games to do so. Who cares about Folin and Reilly, they likely won't even be here in a year or so.

Actually it’s about setting expectations. And the guy that stepped in for him played pretty well.

Will never understand fans that think these players are such p***yes that they can’t watch a game from the press box. These guys are here because they live to compete, lets stop acting like they are snowflakes that will melt at the first sign of adversity.

Reactions: Astormynight

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Actually it’s about setting expectations. And the guy that stepped in for him played pretty well.

Will never understand fans that think these players are such *****es that they can’t watch a game from the press box. These guys are here because they live to compete, lets stop acting like they are snowflakes that will melt at the first sign of adversity.

well we have seen this story repeated out over and over and over, 20 year old in the NHL, makes costly mistakes, gets benched (last game he saw his ice time drop as the game went on), then ends up in the press box. Then posters blame Timmins because we struggle to develop players yet don't bring up the repeated cycle we continue to do with said prospects.

Hockey is a very mental game, the worst thing you can do with a 18, 19, 20 year old rookie in the NHL is mess with their confidence.

I watched Fleury all year in Laval and I saw him make many mistakes in his own end, there's no way he fixed that in the off-season so putting him in the NHL at 20 was another risky move that this organization has seemed to do year over year. Putting him in the press box by game 3 certainly can mess with a players confidence, it would be silly to suggest otherwise. Repeating the same mistakes is not a good sign from management. One of these times it has to work out since so many have not.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
well we have seen this story repeated out over and over and over, 20 year old in the NHL, makes costly mistakes, gets benched (last game he saw his ice time drop as the game went on), then ends up in the press box. Then posters blame Timmins because we struggle to develop players yet don't bring up the repeated cycle we continue to do with said prospects.

Hockey is a very mental game, the worst thing you can do with a 18, 19, 20 year old rookie in the NHL is mess with their confidence.

I watched Fleury all year in Laval and I saw him make many mistakes in his own end, there's no way he fixed that in the off-season so putting him in the NHL at 20 was another risky move that this organization has seemed to do year over year. Putting him in the press box by game 3 certainly can mess with a players confidence, it would be silly to suggest otherwise. Repeating the same mistakes is not a good sign from management. One of these times it has to work out since so many have not.
Another year in Laval would be best. Next season as a 21-22 year old we have a young D ready to play big minutes.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Another year in Laval would be best. Next season as a 21-22 year old we have a young D ready to play big minutes.

the question is why didn't management see it that way? It's not like he was just making a few mistakes here and there last year. So I just don't see how they thought that problem was just magically solved over the summer. I would have thought he would spend most of the year in Laval but likely get some games in later in the year then next year maybe spend around half the year or more in the NHL if he improved his defensive play.

people were going crazy hyping him in the preseason though, some were saying he's a much better prospect then Brook because he had a good preseason in his age 21 season then Brook did in his age 20. I didn't get that as I would compare them at the same age and Brook at 19 was a lot more impressive then Fleury at 19.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Let's see if they put him back in the lineup tommorow. It could be a case of using the b2b to allow Reilly and folin to get their feet wet with game action.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
the question is why didn't management see it that way? It's not like he was just making a few mistakes here and there last year. So I just don't see how they thought that problem was just magically solved over the summer. I would have thought he would spend most of the year in Laval but likely get some games in later in the year then next year maybe spend around half the year or more in the NHL if he improved his defensive play.
I guessed his play in preseason was enough to convince them he was further along.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Let's see if they put him back in the lineup tommorow. It could be a case of using the b2b to allow Reilly and folin to get their feet wet with game action.

which is silly, it's a week into the season, it's not like Folin would lose a step if he sat for a while. Even then though the point is more now what? What do they do with him after his next costly mistake? It's just hard to have faith in how this team develops players.

I guessed his play in preseason was enough to convince them he was further along.

which they should know how little preseason means so that's troubling in it's own right.

Reactions: Tyson

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
which is silly, it's a week into the season, it's not like Folin would lose a step if he sat for a while. Even then though the point is more now what? What do they do with him after his next costly mistake? It's just hard to have faith in how this team develops players.

which they should know how little preseason means so that's troubling in it's own right.

I was prepared for the defense to be a revolving door this year if the guys stay healthy.

I'm not sure when the next back to back is. If they have another one within the next few days, then maybe my theory goes out the window as well.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I was prepared for the defense to be a revolving door this year if the guys stay healthy.

I'm not sure when the next back to back is. If they have another one within the next few days, then maybe my theory goes out the window as well.

It shouldn't be, they just gave Kulak a 3 year deal so clearly they think he's a steady or everyday player although they did give Reilly a 2 year deal which I thought made no sense at all. That said they should have just went with Kulak Folin and Reilly as the 7th D, hoping they don't dress Reilly much.

Oct 30th/31st.

Reactions: Mrb1p

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It shouldn't be, they just gave Kulak a 3 year deal so clearly they think he's a steady or everyday player although they did give Reilly a 2 year deal which I thought made no sense at all. That said they should have just went with Kulak Folin and Reilly as the 7th D, hoping they don't dress Reilly much.

Oct 30th/31st.

And imagine if Juulsen was in the picture. My guess is that fluery would not have started in the NHL if that was the case.

I was really surprised they brought Reilly back to be honest. I got the sense that Julien never really liked his game.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
And imagine if Juulsen was in the picture. My guess is that fluery would not have started in the NHL if that was the case.

I was really surprised they brought Reilly back to be honest. I got the sense that Julien never really liked his game.

clearly Julien didn't care for him, I thought for sure Reilly would have went running for the door, instead of re-signing with a coach that doesn't trust him and for good reason as the guy has always had defensive issues or as I call them, the Beaulieu's. That's when you watch him and go what the f*** were you thinking?

If Juulsen was healthy then it does make sense that Fleury would have been in Laval, I sort of keep forgetting we have Juulsen since I haven't heard a word on what's going on with him other then skating. So that's a good point but still they had 7 healthy D, they didn't need to keep Fleury, I mean he's just 20, it's not like more time in the AHL would harm him.

the organization just frustrates me with their decisions.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
clearly Julien didn't care for him, I thought for sure Reilly would have went running for the door, instead of re-signing with a coach that doesn't trust him and for good reason as the guy has always had defensive issues or as I call them, the Beaulieu's. That's when you watch him and go what the **** were you thinking?

If Juulsen was healthy then it does make sense that Fleury would have been in Laval, I sort of keep forgetting we have Juulsen since I haven't heard a word on what's going on with him other then skating. So that's a good point but still they had 7 healthy D, they didn't need to keep Fleury, I mean he's just 20, it's not like more time in the AHL would harm him.

the organization just frustrates me with their decisions.
They just never learn.

We have a chance this year to have a solid AHL team with a bunch of good young prospects. Let them build chemistry and experiences together. Having Evans, Suzuki, Poe, Brook, Fleury play together on a Calder contender would be so good for them. No different than what Tampa does with Syracuse. They win with solid prospects, then those guys graduate to the NHL and their chemistry is already established, they also have a winning mindset...
This is just another example of the lack of plan or structure this team has.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017

Bah, this is the big leagues kid. Fleury can't get special treatment. If he can't cut it send him down. But I don't see the big deal. Plenty plenty of great players have gone through similar things, it's not like the habs are the only team that does this.

Reactions: Goal Caufield

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az

Fleury did make a panic pass to Thompson in his own zone with a player right beside Thompson that resulted in a goal. When i used to see that as a coach I knew my guy was in panic mode . That's what Fleury looks like out there in game two. The night was too big for him . And Kulak was weak all night with him.
This is a good reset for him. He's a young guy and the trajectory includes some ups and downs.
Lets see how the kid responds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln