Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
2005-06
s-l500.jpg
Oh, I thought we were still talking about 69, my bad.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Let's hope oullet can help brook out the same way he did fluery.

Fluery has been awesome physically. A very good checker. Hoping we got ourselves a poor man's chelios.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Fluery has been awesome physically. A very good checker. Hoping we got ourselves a poor man's chelios.

I really am looking forward to seeing what he'll become.

I have no idea what his ceiling is.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I really am looking forward to seeing what he'll become.

I have no idea what his ceiling is.
Its hard to evaluate but his physicals are A1 and his skills too. His IQ will be what sets him apart, is he smart enough to be a 1D or is he more of a Petry or is he Beaulieu?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Its hard to evaluate but his physicals are A1 and his skills too. His IQ will be what sets him apart, is he smart enough to be a 1D or is he more of a Petry or is he Beaulieu?

Yes, it will be interesting to see.

Aside from hoping he'll have a lot of talent to go along with his demonstrated poise and intestinal fortitude, my two biggest hopes are:

1. One of Fleury, Brook, or Juulsen can play comfortably on the left side. Whoever it is can replace Chiarot.

2. Timmins keep drafting Dmen. We have a better chance of him drafting good young dmen that can fetch young forwards in trades, than of him outright drafting good forwards, it seems. There's still hope Drouin becomes an example of this.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yes, it will be interesting to see.

Aside from hoping he'll have a lot of talent to go along with his demonstrated poise and intestinal fortitude, my two biggest hopes are:

1. One of Fleury, Brook, or Juulsen can play comfortably on the left side. Whoever it is can replace Chiarot.

2. Timmins keep drafting Dmen. We have a better chance of him drafting good young dmen that can fetch young forwards in trades, than of him outright drafting good forwards, it seems. There's still hope Drouin becomes an example of this.
I disagree on point one, all you need is to make room for them if theyre ready for a top 4 role. Move Petry and Weber in staggered years and profit from there. At the start of 2022-2023 the D line up on the right should be
Brook Fleury Juulsen

Rotating ELC RFA and UFA contracts is the way to go when you have that much incoming talent. The team has the luxury to afford this with the incredible depth at RD (Add in that Harris and Romanov both pkay RD too)

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I disagree on point one, all you need is to make room for them if theyre ready for a top 4 role. Move Petry and Weber in staggered years and profit from there. At the start of 2022-2023 the D line up on the right should be
Brook Fleury Juulsen

Rotating ELC RFA and UFA contracts is the way to go when you have that much incoming talent. The team has the luxury to afford this with the incredible depth at RD (Add in that Harris and Romanov both pkay RD too)

True, but what if all three of Juulsen, Fleury, and Brook are ready by 2020-2021?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Move Weber and Petry by then. Even better, actually.

MB said recently he wants Weber and Price to be around to guide the kids - can't have all kids...

And, if Weber starts slowing down and being behind the play, don't think we'll be able to trade him. The way to go is to trade him just before that happens. But I don't see MB doing that - unless the kids really come into their own, and fast.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
MB said recently he wants Weber and Price to be around to guide the kids - can't have all kids...

And, if Weber starts slowing down and being behind the play, don't think we'll be able to trade him. The way to go is to trade him just before that happens. But I don't see MB doing that - unless the kids really come into their own, and fast.

Its true you cant have all kids. Metes gonna be 23 by then, gally 30, Kulak 28, Domi 26, etc.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Fleury was by far his worst when paired with Ouellet last year, I was surprised at how he lasted that long in the NHL with such a poor defensive game, but he did have a solid offensive game. I felt that Fleury was at his best when with Alzner. The Ouellet - Fleury pairing was a nightmare in their own end last year.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Fleury was by far his worst when paired with Ouellet last year, I was surprised at how he lasted that long in the NHL with such a poor defensive game, but he did have a solid offensive game. I felt that Fleury was at his best when with Alzner. The Ouellet - Fleury pairing was a nightmare in their own end last year.

Alzner is a solid NHLer in his prime but fleury played alot with oullet which says alot about how he helped his development ( intentionally or not ).

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC

Right now he reminds me of a worse, slower, inexperienced, less skilled Ryan Pulock at the NHL level. Plays a good two-way game with a physical streak, strong core skills and awareness as well as a booming shot. Fortunately for us, Fleury is only 20 and should improve quite a bit before hitting his prime. If he realizes his full potential for us, Cale could be a very strong top-4 presence for us, but I don't get #1 D vibes personally.

As far as poor man's Chelios comparisons go, I'd like it but I don't see it. Even weaker versions of HHOFers don't grow on trees. And if they did, a team like Nashville would have already cornered the market on such trees long ago and own them all.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I've said how often we see fans put too much into preseason performances, so now that he's up we need to see what he does. You have to expect growing pains of course but I highly doubt all the defensive issues he was having last year just went away and so far he's had a few issues in the NHL but we'll see how it continues to go for him.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
He's not been as much of a liability as some of D we played at the start of last season and that's against two legit contenders for top 4 in the conference. If we want CJ to blood the best of the kids, we can't complain when there are growing pains.

I don't think he's been so badly exposed that he has to sit for Folin / Reilly.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Its true you cant have all kids. Metes gonna be 23 by then, gally 30, Kulak 28, Domi 26, etc.

He means you can't have all kids on D. After Fleury's error, Weber sat beside him and they had a discussion of the play. Weber is obviously a mentor.

Personally, I'd trade Juulsen. Keep Fleury and Brook.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
He's not been as much of a liability as some of D we played at the start of last season and that's against two legit contenders for top 4 in the conference. If we want CJ to blood the best of the kids, we can't complain when there are growing pains.

I don't think he's been so badly exposed that he has to sit for Folin / Reilly.
I fully agree, he made mistakes, which is normal for a rookie dmen, but by the same token, he showed plenty of poise, lots of sharp passes and high IQ on the ice. We should be very satisfied with his play so far.
As for the ones expecting a noris level play of him , go back to your playstation.

Reactions: Walrus26

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He means you can't have all kids on D. After Fleury's error, Weber sat beside him and they had a discussion of the play. Weber is obviously a mentor.

good to hear about Weber talking to him, it's why I would keep Weber around as he should be a great mentor to Brook, Fleury and the other young D we have incoming.

As for Juulsen, you have to first see if he can get healthy and then if so we need to see what he can do. The good news is they should have a decent amount of time before they need to worry about trading any of the RD prospects.

I fully agree, he made mistakes, which is normal for a rookie dmen, but by the same token, he showed plenty of poise, lots of sharp passes and high IQ on the ice. We should be very satisfied with his play so far.
As for the ones expecting a noris level play of him , go back to your playstation.

no one would expect noris level of play from him, but it's ok to point out the issues. He had a number of poor defensive plays in Laval last year, it's not like he just suddenly figured it all out over the summer so as I stated a few posts up, there will be growing pains but there's no harm in bringing them up.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
good to hear about Weber talking to him, it's why I would keep Weber around as he should be a great mentor to Brook, Fleury and the other young D we have incoming.

As for Juulsen, you have to first see if he can get healthy and then if so we need to see what he can do. The good news is they should have a decent amount of time before they need to worry about trading any of the RD prospects.

no one would expect noris level of play from him, but it's ok to point out the issues. He had a number of poor defensive plays in Laval last year, it's not like he just suddenly figured it all out over the summer so as I stated a few posts up, there will be growing pains but there's no harm in bringing them up.

What I really liked about the conversation is how Weber was so calm while correcting him. It was like "yeah no biggie, happens all the time but next time do this". Like a good dad would to his kid.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

We were talking about further down the line, I agree for sure that Weber is an asset to develop players ATM.

Reactions: Vachon23
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad