Prospect Info: Cale Fleury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Fleury did make a panic pass to Thompson in his own zone with a player right beside Thompson that resulted in a goal. When i used to see that as a coach I knew my guy was in panic mode . That's what Fleury looks like out there in game two. The night was too big for him . And Kulak was weak all night with him.
This is a good reset for him. He's a young guy and the trajectory includes some ups and downs.
Lets see how the kid responds.
Yeah, nothing wrong with being in and out of the lineup.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Bah, this is the big leagues kid. Fleury can't get special treatment. If he can't cut it send him down. But I don't see the big deal. Plenty plenty of great players have gone through similar things, it's not like the habs are the only team that does this.

why says anything about special treatment? He should have been in the AHL as he struggled with his defensive play so how do you expect a player to improve that over the summer?

Yeah, nothing wrong with being in and out of the lineup.

it's worked great for us so far, Leblanc, Tinordi, DLR, McCarron, Beaulieu, Scherbak, Juulsen.

in terms of call them up from the AHL, play them a few games, they make a costly mistake or two, get benched, then next game they are in the press box, before long they are back in the AHL, rinse, repeat....

Then there's the players they didn't do that to,

Gallagher, Leks, Galchenyuk, Kotka plus you could throw Mete in as they didn't send him down till his 2nd year and it was just for 2 weeks.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
why says anything about special treatment? He should have been in the AHL as he struggled with his defensive play so how do you expect a player to improve that over the summer?

it's worked great for us so far, Leblanc, Tinordi, DLR, McCarron, Beaulieu, Scherbak, Juulsen.

in terms of call them up from the AHL, play them a few games, they make a costly mistake or two, get benched, then next game they are in the press box, before long they are back in the AHL, rinse, repeat....

Then there's the players they didn't do that to,

Gallagher, Leks, Galchenyuk, Kotka plus you could throw Mete in as they didn't send him down till his 2nd year and it was just for 2 weeks.

He won the job out of camp. What kind of message would you be sending if you didn't let him win it? He outplayed the other guys. You act like the Canadiens are the only team in the league that do this.

Reactions: cphabs

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Benching him at this point in his career makes no sense. Let him play big minutes in Laval, his defensive game still needs work. They're doing the same mistake they did with Juulsen. And Mete. And likely every young player since Dumbass has been GM.

Reactions: calder candidate

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
He won the job out of camp. What kind of message would you be sending if you didn't let him win it? He outplayed the other guys. You act like the Canadiens are the only team in the league that do this.

How naive would it be for a person nevertheless a coach expecting a rookie D to play perfect hockey? We going to act like confidence isn't a thing with young players?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Fleury should of been in the line-up for the home game and the 2nd night of back/back games. I disagree playing Reilly/Folin on back to back nights when Kulak and Fleury are rested and ready to go

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Fleury should of been in the line-up for the home game and the 2nd night of back/back games. I disagree playing Reilly/Folin on back to back nights when Kulak and Fleury are rested and ready to go

I thought that Reilly & Folin played quite a bit better in the Buffalo game though. They deserved another game. I think we will see Fleury & Kulak next game and hopefully they are rested and hungry!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I thought that Reilly & Folin played quite a bit better in the Buffalo game though. They deserved another game. I think we will see Fleury & Kulak next game and hopefully they are rested and hungry!

But did Fleury deserve to sit after the Leafs game? I agree Reilly and Folin had a decent game against the Sabres but back to back nights and sitting Kulak/Fleury who have also been as good as Reilly/Folin?

Rather have the rested legs in the line-up in this case

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
They played worse than Fleury Kulak in both games. Hemmed in their own zone over and over. Fleury made a mistake on the rush, its a lot more excusable than being hemmed in your zone all game.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Benching him at this point in his career makes no sense. Let him play big minutes in Laval, his defensive game still needs work. They're doing the same mistake they did with Juulsen. And Mete. And likely every young player since Dumbass has been GM.
It’s not necessarily a benching. They have 2 extra defenceman and they’re all getting playing time. It wouldn’t surprise me to see him and a Kulak back this weekend.they have a lot of games in a short time. I’m sure they’re trying to keep guys fresh and ready.
Everyone immediately jumps on the organization before thinking it through.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
They played worse than Fleury Kulak in both games. Hemmed in their own zone over and over. Fleury made a mistake on the rush, its a lot more excusable than being hemmed in your zone all game.

Not how I saw it, but I'm glad you have a different opinion. I'm sure they will get another shot.

I understand that people want to blame the coach and management, but I really don't think this is all that odd. Practice time with an NHL team is a great thing. If you look around so many great players have been developed in similar ways.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
But did Fleury deserve to sit after the Leafs game? I agree Reilly and Folin had a decent game against the Sabres but back to back nights and sitting Kulak/Fleury who have also been as good as Reilly/Folin?

Rather have the rested legs in the line-up in this case

Personally I thought both Kulak & Fleury seemed a bit overwhelmed against the Laffs. Nothing to go crazy about, but I wasn't surprised they sat the next game.

I can see your point, but I don't think it's a big deal...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Personally I thought both Kulak & Fleury seemed a bit overwhelmed against the Laffs. Nothing to go crazy about, but I wasn't surprised they sat the next game.

We don't know cause we decided to play them back to back where we had fresh legs sitting. Could of been a difference maker with allowing one less goal

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Two different players. Kulak is better than Reilly and should not sit long, but Fleury does not wow me that much to be honest and he could just as easily be in Laval. It won't ruin him.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

preseason games are a joke though, so you can't base it all off that, he had considerable defensive issues in Laval so that's not just going to fix it's self over the summer. So that means you are putting a 20 year old blueliner in the NHL knowing he has defensive issues and within the first 2 games he showed those defensive issues to no one surprise that watched him last year and didn't put any stock in the preseason.

So now we have messed with his confidence, I know some can't stand it when posters call out stupid things that management/coaching staff does and we have no way of knowing if this will impact him in the slightest, but we do know this has been a pattern that we have seen repeated for the past 7 or so years to poor results. Some people just want to stick their head in the sand and say nothing to see here, everything is fine, meanwhile things haven't been fine for a long time. Maybe things will just change despite them making the same moves over and over again with these young player.

Reactions: Gravity

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
preseason games are a joke though, so you can't base it all off that, he had considerable defensive issues in Laval so that's not just going to fix it's self over the summer. So that means you are putting a 20 year old blueliner in the NHL knowing he has defensive issues and within the first 2 games he showed those defensive issues to no one surprise that watched him last year and didn't put any stock in the preseason.

So now we have messed with his confidence, I know some can't stand it when posters call out stupid things that management/coaching staff does and we have no way of knowing if this will impact him in the slightest, but we do know this has been a pattern that we have seen repeated for the past 7 or so years to poor results. Some people just want to stick their head in the sand and say nothing to see here, everything is fine, meanwhile things haven't been fine for a long time. Maybe things will just change despite them making the same moves over and over again with these young player.

Not only is the rushing of young players an indictment of the team.. but the fact that Mete & Fleury have been rushed.. as young defenseman.. because they are literally better than any alternatives on the roster.. is an indictment of the pro scouting staff.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Not only is the rushing of young players an indictment of the team.. but the fact that Mete & Fleury have been rushed.. as young defenseman.. because they are literally better than any alternatives on the roster.. is an indictment of the pro scouting staff.

This wouldn't even be a discussion if the team just bit the bullet last year and them gave these kids all the ice time in the world again this year. We would have better picks and prospects and individual mistakes wouldn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Unfortunately there is no grand scheme of things.

Reactions: cphabs

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017

I understand that you are unhappy with the management & that's fine, but I think it's important to have competition for spots in the preseason and it's also important to let players who deserve the spot win it. This will be a great experience for Fleury even if he doesn't make it.

Reactions: Archijerej

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Send the kid to Laval or play him. Dauterive's excuses today were ridiculous. Follin Down The River is not better than him. And if he is, send him to Laval.

This team WON'T win. Anything. Either you play the kids or you send them to Laval, suck all year with your NHL rejects, Price and Webs ask for trades this summer, draft Lafrenière or Byfield, get rid of Julien, bring in Groulx with Ducharme, keep Richardson. And voilà. Reset will have been complete.

Tu ne peux être à moitié enceinte.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
So now we have messed with his confidence, I know some can't stand it when posters call out stupid things that management/coaching staff does and we have no way of knowing if this will impact him in the slightest, but we do know this has been a pattern that we have seen repeated for the past 7 or so years to poor results.
If a 20-years old kid gets a 10 game look in the NHL, following a strong preseason, and then gets send down and it results in his confidence being irreversibly shattered, then there wasn't much NHL potential there to begin with. Claude's job is to win hockey games. How we start in October is especially important if we want to make the playoffs. If Fleury is not able to crack the lineup, he's going to be send down soon and will have nearly full season to work on his game in Laval.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
You can certainly make a point that Mete was rushed, as he was asked to play a role for an extended period of time that he wasn't quite ready for, and on a train wreck of a team to boot.
Fleury is a different situation. The idea that a short, unsuccessful NHL stint is going to break a player with actual potential is bonkers.
Same regarding your point about depth. There's absolutely nothing wrong in having Christian Folin as your #4 RD. So unless you're arguing Bergevin should have just discarded Juulsen and brought someone else, I don't really know what you're critisizing him for.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You can certainly make a point that Mete was rushed, as he was asked to play a role for an extended period of time that he wasn't quite ready for, and on a train wreck of a team to boot.
Fleury is a different situation. The idea that a short, unsuccessful NHL stint is going to break a player with actual potential is bonkers.
Same regarding your point about depth. There's absolutely nothing wrong in having Christian Folin as your #4 RD. So unless you're arguing Bergevin should have just discarded Juulsen and brought someone else, I don't really know what you're critisizing him for.

I'm criticizing him for creating a defense that is so bad that they continually have to bring players in before their ready since everyone they pro scout is trash.

Our only viable NHL LD is Mete who should have been in the AHL the last two years.

Alzner Chiarot Rielly Folin Ouellette etc etc. Are all trash.

Despite all this he wouldn't give up more term and cash to Gardiner who would be the best LD we have had since Markov.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Agreed. With the farm team in Laval I don't see why there isn't more rotation between it and the big club. I mean, Cale does get more money by sitting in the press box, but that's a really short sighted concern. I don't get the stigma of being sent down for a game here or there. Why is not playing in the NHL better than playing in the AHL?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If a 20-years old kid gets a 10 game look in the NHL, following a strong preseason, and then gets send down and it results in his confidence being irreversibly shattered, then there wasn't much NHL potential there to begin with. Claude's job is to win hockey games. How we start in October is especially important if we want to make the playoffs. If Fleury is not able to crack the lineup, he's going to be send down soon and will have nearly full season to work on his game in Laval.
Honestly I don't see the hype over Fleury. MAYBE he can be a bottom pairing defenceman next year or if we are really lucky later this year, but actually I think Juulsen is ahead of him.

He isn't 21 yet, let Cale develop in Laval.

Poehling is far more NHL ready and even he isn't lighting up the AHL.

Reactions: Archijerej
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->