Prospect Info: Cale Fleury

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I have a question for people about Fleury.

You think he has the ceilling go top 4 d-man

I think he does if he can get his defensive game in order, he's got the physical tools for sure, size, skating, speed, mobility. He's got a big shot, he can move the puck. I don't know how high end his offensive skills are and I worry about the defense (talking about last year since i have only seen bits of him this year) so I don't know if he can be a top 4 on say a contending team but I certainly think it's possible with his skill set.

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I bet no one ever thought that Cale Fleury would be the most ready 2017 Habs draft pick ahead of Poehling and Brook.

People were jumping on me for suggesting that we were putting too much stock in poehling's NHL debut.

People basically had him pegged as a shoe in based on how he performed in spotlight events.

Should we really be surprised that fluery looks the most ready? He had the AHL experience which those guys did not, and he looks physically mature, although I guess you could argue poehling has that too.

With Juulsen's issues, I think it also opened up the opportunity for fluery, so the storm was right.

Reactions: montreal and Tyson

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Don't even care about his low points, he's been awesome. He's the only young guy that isn't afraid to shoot the puck and I respect that a lot. Suzuki and Kotkaniemi need to do that too.

Reactions: Gravity and Redux91

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
With Mete and Fleury already in the NHL, and Brook, Romanov, Harris, Struble, Norlinder, Fairbrother and Juulsen in the pipeline, you'd think that in a couple of years, there's a possibility that the majority of their blue line will be drafted and developed by the team. When was the last time you could say that?

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Learning from guys like Petry and Weber is obviously huge for him.

I think he could turn into a legit top 4 with maybe some PK/PP duties, that's not to say it's what he will turn into but I see it in him.

Reactions: Redux91

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Feeling like him and Romanov one day will be a very dangerous pairing

Romanov Fleury
Mete Brook
Norlinder Juulsen

And hopefully Harris and Struble are top 4, and we're able to convert two of these 8 excellent D into talented young forwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redux91

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
Playing for a horrible junior team where he was a -61 in his draft year allowed us to draft a kid not many scouts really had a good read on. Turns 21 this week
I know this story is true, but how come someone dont get checked at in 2019. With the cap, the only place you can "cheat" is in scouting. Better have as many scout as you can. Anyway, habs are happy he wasnt on the radar :)

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
With Mete and Fleury already in the NHL, and Brook, Romanov, Harris, Struble, Norlinder, Fairbrother and Juulsen in the pipeline, you'd think that in a couple of years, there's a possibility that the majority of their blue line will be drafted and developed by the team. When was the last time you could say that?
So impressive this group coming up and already here.
I'm a big Fleury guy because not many guys hit in the league these days. The D now go for the puck and try stealing it. Fleury hits guys and he has the making of decent offense. Nice shot and knows when to move up. My only concern sometimes he gets very scrambly in his zone.
Romanov is the guy who could be very similar to Fleury. He's a hitter and has greatly improved his transition game. The offense is hard to measure but I have a feeling it's better then people think

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
he's putting his knowledge from coaching in Div III to scout the NCAA for us. They let go of the guy that would have had a hand in drafting Poehling for sure and replaced him with Nick.

He's still employed by the Habs? You've got to be kidding.

When did they let go of the scout who recommended Poehling?

So basically, the Carrières were just given other, lesser roles but they survived the purge of 2018? Damn nepotist crap. Bergevin will never change.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's still employed by the Habs? You've got to be kidding.

When did they let go of the scout who recommended Poehling?

So basically, the Carrières were just given other, lesser roles but they survived the purge of 2018? Damn nepotist crap. Bergevin will never change.

this summer, I don't know if they fired him or more likely they just didn't renew his contract. Dave Starman was our NCAA scout, he's one of the most knowledgeable people I know of when it comes to NCAA players. So hopefully Carrière knows his stuff cause those are big shoes to fill, although we don't make many picks directly out of the NCAA since most are chosen before they get there. Then you have the undrafted FA's but with all the incoming rookies we are looking at over the next few years, we might not have too many or any so perhaps it was a cost cutting measure. Or Carrières learned a lot while coaching in Div III and as an assistant in Laval on what was one of the worst coached teams I've ever seen.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
this summer, I don't know if they fired him or more likely they just didn't renew his contract. Dave Starman was our NCAA scout, he's one of the most knowledgeable people I know of when it comes to NCAA players. So hopefully Carrière knows his stuff cause those are big shoes to fill, although we don't make many picks directly out of the NCAA since most are chosen before they get there. Then you have the undrafted FA's but with all the incoming rookies we are looking at over the next few years, we might not have too many or any so perhaps it was a cost cutting measure. Or Carrières learned a lot while coaching in Div III and as an assistant in Laval on what was one of the worst coached teams I've ever seen.

If Starman was so good (gotta love that name), then they should have held on to him. Maybe some other aspects came into play. However, can't be that lowly Nick was the best available for the job.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I bet no one ever thought that Cale Fleury would be the most ready 2017 Habs draft pick ahead of Poehling and Brook.

Very few people I would say. I do recall some saying Fleury was going to surprise last year. I like this kid a lot! I think he has a lot more to show us too

Reactions: Tyson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad