Prospect Info: Cal Petersen (2013, 129th) – '16-17: Notre Dame #40 (NCAA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Agreed....stay away from these college prospects.

Why oh why did they take Eichel???

As I said up above, first-rounders who look like sure-fire, near-term NHLers (like Eichel) are a different story.

But if a college-bound guy looks like he'll be a late-bloomer or a slow-developer (and almost all goalie prospects are this), then don't waste your post-first round picks on him. By the time such prospects will get close to NHL-ready, they will also be very close to free-agency.

And don't tell me it's the same for CHL players because it's not. NCAA players in the 2nd and 3rd post-draft year have an added incentive to stay put for four years - so they can get their degree. CHL players don't have that incentive - their only incentive is to turn pro as soon as possible. College players always have to weigh turning pro sooner (which would mean continuing development in the AHL) vs continuing development in college and earning credit towards a degree.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Maybe with Chicago getting Forsberg he changes his mind and signs with us but if he doesn't I agree - I hope he flames out.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
As I said up above, first-rounders who look like sure-fire, near-term NHLers (like Eichel) are a different story.

But if a college-bound guy looks like he'll be a late-bloomer or a slow-developer (and almost all goalie prospects are this), then don't waste your post-first round picks on him. By the time such prospects will get close to NHL-ready, they will also be very close to free-agency.

And don't tell me it's the same for CHL players because it's not. NCAA players in the 2nd and 3rd post-draft year have an added incentive to stay put for four years - so they can get their degree. CHL players don't have that incentive - their only incentive is to turn pro as soon as possible. College players always have to weigh turning pro sooner (which would mean continuing development in the AHL) vs continuing development in college and earning credit towards a degree.

Talking about wasting non-1st round picks... when most of them don't pan out. If you peg a guy as having the best chance of being a contributor, you draft him, whether he's a college player or KHLer.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Maybe with Chicago getting Forsberg he changes his mind and signs with us but if he doesn't I agree - I hope he flames out.

Wonder if it's the Rangers. Raanta traded. Skapski and Halverson fizzling in the minors. Hank getting a little long in the tooth. They can offer Cal the opportunity to be The Guy in a couple years. And we know they love going this route for free assets.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Wonder if it's the Rangers. Raanta traded. Skapski and Halverson fizzling in the minors. Hank getting a little long in the tooth. They can offer Cal the opportunity to be The Guy in a couple years. And we know they love going this route for free assets.

Never had any deep Rangers hate before but I'd get there if they get Vesey and Petersen from us in consecutive years for nothing.

One of the things the CBA was supposed to be about is parity but when teams like the Rangers and the Blackhawks can get a lot of the college free agents then it's not completely working. I hope they address this loophole next time.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I don't wish the kid to bust at all. :dunno:

He's taking advantage of the rules. Nothing mean or wrong about it. The butt hurt is strong with a few here. wow.

I do however, as others have stated, wish they can address this rule in the next CBA.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Talking about wasting non-1st round picks... when most of them don't pan out. If you peg a guy as having the best chance of being a contributor, you draft him, whether he's a college player or KHLer.

Yeah.

If the choice is between a prospect you really like but there's a UFA risk, or a prospect you're not as high on who might not even be worth a contract in 2 years...I'm taking the guy with the UFA risk every time. Yes, there's an inherent risk, but the payoff makes it worth it.

Now if there are two prospects you feel equally about, then sure, take the guy with less risk. But to swear off NCAA guys altogether because you're afraid...that's just silly.

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
I can think of another college-bound goalie prospect the Sabres drafted in the 5th round who turned out ok.

It's not about if they work out or not, in the 5th round you are more likely to, then not, drafting someone who never plays a single game in the NHL. Therefore you don't go about your business worrying what that player is going to do in 5-6 years time.

It's the players right not to turn pro and wait it out. No idea why people are so upset about it. Let him go and I hope he has an amazing pro career. Who would you want an unhappy player who doesn't want to be here?

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I mean... do they bring him in and let him compete to be Quick's backup immediately?

I'm not sure I fully understand. Unless they think he can push Quick in a couple years or less, while they hope someone would take (what would be) 3-4 years of Quick at 5.8m?

Maybe they don't think Quick will return to form fully after this last injury? Saw something they didn't love after he came back ? No idea

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Didn't we hold his rights for 30 days that aren't up until a day or two from now? He isn't supposed to be allowed to talk to anyone else.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Not really. An understudy and eventual replacement for Quick wouldn't be that odd.

I'm still not sure. There would appear to be - on the surface, at least - a few better choices where the incumbent starter is not as decorated. Quick's deal expires in 2023.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Once he's playing for the Kings, hopefully they start him on the road in Buffalo. The Sabres can shell him into oblivion. That'll be the billionth straight road loss against Buffalo for LA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad