Prospect Info: Cal Petersen (2013, 129th) – '16-17: Notre Dame #40 (NCAA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I'm not super upset with the loss of Petersen. However, I do think the CBA should be revised to stop this situation from happening. I don't think it's fair to the teams, as CHL and USHL players don't have this option.

Maybe something along the lines of:

- At 3 year point, NCAA player chooses to remain in college or sign. No option to become a free agent.
- At 4 year point, the team offers a SPC or releases rights. If team offers a SPC and the player does not sign the SPC, NCAA player cannot play in NHL until three seasons have passed. NCAA player may sign SPC with original team at any time during those three years. ELC only goes to the three year point (eg: if the player goes to the KHL or SHL for two years, they sign a one-year SPC).

This aligns NCAA with the 7 years of team control.

This keeps Vesey with Nashville and Petersen with Buffalo.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I'm not super upset with the loss of Petersen. However, I do think the CBA should be revised to stop this situation from happening. I don't think it's fair to the teams, as CHL and USHL players don't have this option.

Maybe something along the lines of:

- At 3 year point, NCAA player chooses to remain in college or sign. No option to become a free agent.
- At 4 year point, the team offers a SPC or releases rights. If team offers a SPC and the player does not sign the SPC, NCAA player cannot play in NHL until three seasons have passed. NCAA player may sign SPC with original team at any time during those three years. ELC only goes to the three year point (eg: if the player goes to the KHL or SHL for two years, they sign a one-year SPC).

This aligns NCAA with the 7 years of team control.

This keeps Vesey with Nashville and Petersen with Buffalo.

So an NCAA player has to play 4 seasons, reject a SPC, and then wait 3 more seasons to leave his drafting team? That's insane. CHL player doesn't sign an SPC after 2 seasons he re-enters the draft.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
:laugh::laugh:

he hasn't "earned the right", he has that right due to how the CBA is written.

I didn't say he didn't earn the right, Sure he's earned the right because the CBA. I just think anyone who refuses to sign with the team that drafted them puts them self above the game.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
CHL player doesn't sign an SPC after 2 seasons he re-enters the draft.

Maybe that's the solution? If NCAA prospect is not signed before 4th subsequent draft he's made eligible for that year's draft. If not selected, THEN he becomes a UFA. This provides leverage to the drafting club, since the player still can't sit home, refuse to sign, and know he can choose his destination unlike the CHL and Euro draftees. NCAA has an unfair advantage at this point; that would close the loophole, wouldn't it?

Last edited:

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
So an NCAA player has to play 4 seasons, reject a SPC, and then wait 3 more seasons to leave his drafting team? That's insane. CHL player doesn't sign an SPC after 2 seasons he re-enters the draft.

Yes he re enters the draft but it's not like he's a free agent. Why not make College players either sign with the team that drafted them after turning pro, or have them re enter the draft?

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
NHL wants to give the NCAA an unfair advantage in the process though. It's cheaper for them and the kids have a future outside of construction if the team decides to give up. Colleges create sports fans like no other, minor leagues don't bring in new revenue.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I hope the Kings begin to rebuild or continue to bandaid holes in free agency and bad trades and he's stuck on a team down and out.

Sorry LA fans, nothing against the team just the one player exercising his rights. :laugh: I am evil.

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
I know of many players that were forced to sign a ELC, when they didn't have / want too. A team goes to them after a so so 35 point season in the NCAA, tells them if they don't leave and sign they won't sign them the following year and they will have to take on the open market. Why should teams have this right and not the players. You guys are crazy if you think the NHL will EVER force a player to sign after they have sat out or played NCAA for years after their draft. No way the NHLPA would allow that to change, nor should they.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Poor guys being forced to sign a contract and play professional hockey.
I feel for them.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
It feels like she's the one that got away. I will always watch what is going on in hopes that she never does better then where we are.

I feel disdain.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Have slot value. Team losing them gets extra pick in that slot. So Petersen gets rookie max. Sabres get pick at end of first round.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
NHL wants to give the NCAA an unfair advantage in the process though. It's cheaper for them and the kids have a future outside of construction if the team decides to give up. Colleges create sports fans like no other, minor leagues don't bring in new revenue.

Outside of construction lol.

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005
Yes he re enters the draft but it's not like he's a free agent. Why not make College players either sign with the team that drafted them after turning pro, or have them re enter the draft?

You're not going to be able to just make them do anything you want them to. I feel people miss the whole concept of collective bargaining. If that's what the owners want to be able to do with college players, then you have to figure out what incentive do you now have to put on the table in order to get college players to agree to that. And to be able to get them to agree they can no longer control their destiny after 4 years, it's going to have to be huge.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
You're not going to be able to just make them do anything you want them to. I feel people miss the whole concept of collective bargaining. If that's what the owners want to be able to do with college players, then you have to figure out what incentive do you now have to put on the table in order to get college players to agree to that. And to be able to get them to agree they can no longer control their destiny after 4 years, it's going to have to be huge.

*Players' Association. NCAA players have nothing to do with negotiating the CBA.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

Encourage graduating from school and also give teams that draft those players an advantage to sign them. Let's say college graduates get 150% more than the normal entry level max contract if they sign with the team that drafted them.

If a player still chooses UFA then so be it. He gives up a lot of money to sign with another team.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I think some posters don't seem to realize that the owners are the ones that want this set up. It not only gives them free development of a player. But it also saves a contract slot while they develop.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
As dotcommunism pointed out. The NCAA players have no say in the matter. Their status as determined by the CBA which is negotiated by the NHLPA and NHL owners.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Encourage graduating from school and also give teams that draft those players an advantage to sign them. Let's say college graduates get 150% more than the normal entry level max contract if they sign with the team that drafted them.

If a player still chooses UFA then so be it. He gives up a lot of money to sign with another team.

That is also a good idea. Change term and/or amount maximums if sign with drafting team. There are variations of this in nhl and other pro sports teams.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I think some posters don't seem to realize that the owners are the ones that want this set up. It not only gives them free development of a player. But it also saves a contract slot while they develop.

What's the point of developing a player "for free" if you don't get to have that player after he develops?

If that was the owners' thought process, I think they need to think a little harder. Because they obviously haven't thought this all the way through.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
What's the point of developing a player "for free" if you don't get to have that player after he develops?

If that was the owners' thought process, I think they need to think a little harder. Because they obviously haven't thought this all the way through.

Very few players go this route. We just have our panties in bunch because of Murray trading for Vesey last season.

Owners can fix this if they want but I doubt it's a big concern for them in the grand scheme of the CBA. Because the few times college players do go UFA. The other owners get a crack at them.

I think all of the angst over this is overdone.

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005
As dotcommunism pointed out. The NCAA players have no say in the matter. Their status as determined by the CBA which is negotiated by the NHLPA and NHL owners.

College players become dues paying NHLPA members when they sign contracts and become NHL players. If you don't think their interests are being considered by the player's association in CBA negotiations, that's just like, your opinion, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad