Prospect Info: Cal Petersen (2013, 129th) – '16-17: Notre Dame #40 (NCAA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Vesey last year, Petersen this year. Burned twice. Learn the lesson Sabres.

DO NOT draft college-bound players, unless they are top prospects sure to make the NHL soon (a la Eichel).

The risk of lower-round, slower-developing prospects hitting UFA is just too great. The late-bloomers and slow-developers who pan out will be too close to UFA status by the time they hit their stride, that of course many of them will do that.

I will be severely pissed if we draft any college-bound players outside of the 1st round tonight.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
It devalues these players, but that's more complicated than just "don't take them."

If everybody gets gunshy and there's a second round talent available in the fifth, you take him.

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015

DO NOT draft college-bound players, unless they are top prospects sure to make the NHL soon (a la Eichel).

The risk of lower-round, slower-developing prospects hitting UFA is just too great. The late-bloomers and slow-developers who pan out will be too close to UFA status by the time they hit their stride, that of course many of them will do that.

I will be severely pissed if we draft any college-bound players outside of the 1st round tonight.

I don't think that is very reasonable. he was drafted in the 5th round. at the time he was a "meh" prospect. You draft the best player(s) possible in the first 2 rounds and then the rest is a crap shoot.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011

Sorry, but that's cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Gio didn't sign either, and for all we know, that was his decision.

I for one, hope they load up on all of these PMD's that are college bound, e.g. Farrance, Ferraro, Samberg, Crotty, Mireagas, Gildon, Walsh, Kostkansalo, Rathbone, Anderson, Mitchell, Evingson.

The college route is ideal for undersized players with high skill. I don't hold any ill will toward Cal. But I can't help but think that the Sabres blew it somehow.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Botterill is going to learn quick that they'll fall over themselves to sign with Pitt but this ain't Pitt.

Sad, low self esteem statement right there. The past 4 years have beaten a lot of us down. Chin up. If it makes you feel any better the Petersen mess may just have been the straw that broke the camel's back.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Might as well try to trade his rights, get something for him.

I wouldn't hold your breath, not this close to free agency time.

---

I still think there should be some sort of qualifying offer for player rights. I feel the spirit of the rule is to allow players to pursue other teams if the team that drafted them doesn't want them, not to allow draft picks to become free agents. Once he signs that ELC he could be traded anywhere, even back to us, and then whoever he plays for will hold his RFA rights once his ELC expires. Doesn't make sense that a player should just be able to decide they don't want to play for the team that drafted them, as long as the team that drafted them is offering a contract.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Not a big deal. But next cba the rule should be adjusted

The rule is fine.

CHL players have the same opportunity to decline to sign with their drafted team to become UFA. It takes them 4 years too, same as NCAA players.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
It's a loophole that needs to be closed. A CHL refuses to sign, 9 times out if10
He goes back into the draft. In this situation the guy should have to sit out a year to become in UFA.

CHL kid waited 2 years without signing before he could reenter the draft. If he gets drafted again, he can refuse to sign again, and wait 2 more years before becoming UFA.

NCAA kid gets drafted, waits 4 years, declines to sign, becomes UFA.

Why should the NCAA kid have to sit out another year?

Zippy Chippy

Apr 6, 2015
Sad, low self esteem statement right there. The past 4 years have beaten a lot of us down. Chin up. If it makes you feel any better the Petersen mess may just have been the straw that broke the camel's back.

I don't think he's wrong at all. If we're honest with ourselves, we're not Pitt. They have had sustained success and a great farm system that promotes from within. Plus, having 2 of the best players in the world on the team doesn't hurt. We have 6 years of playoff-less seasons, a farm team that has been pretty rough, and a new FO/coaching staff. Yes, we have Eichel, but that only goes so far.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
It's a loophole that needs to be closed. A CHL refuses to sign, 9 times out if10
He goes back into the draft. In this situation the guy should have to sit out a year to become in UFA.

Meh, this happens once a year at best. I agree that there's less incentive to take a college-bound player with a high pick but he rule doesn't need to be changed. If anything, stop drafting college-bound players at all unless it's in the 1st round and you know they'll only be there a year or two at most, and then free agency can sort the whole thing out for the others when they graduate and/or decide to leave school.

There's like ten NHL worthy players per year, absolute max coming out of NCAA. There's no real reason to continue wasting picks on college-bound players. Make the best financial and situational offer you can when they leave school and let the chips fall where they may. NHL teams can close the "loophole" themselves by simply not using late picks on NCAA fliers anymore.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Agreed....stay away from these college prospects.

Why oh why did they take Eichel???

I don't see the point in taking flyers on NCAA bound players in later rounds. If the pick surprises and becomes useful, you're not likely to be able to sign them anyways.

The one and dones aren't the prospects you need to worry about. It's the ones that turn into something more than they were expected to be in their draft years that are the most likely to go UFA after college.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I don't think that is very reasonable. he was drafted in the 5th round. at the time he was a "meh" prospect. You draft the best player(s) possible in the first 2 rounds and then the rest is a crap shoot.

I can think of another college-bound goalie prospect the Sabres drafted in the 5th round who turned out ok.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Layne is not going to be happy about this.

I already knew he wasn't signing here for sure a long time ago. Botterill announcing what we all knew already isn't going to anger me, I've come to accept it. He will come to regret this decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad