Samsonov's Replacement?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
That is the downside but the upside is

Domi 29, Matthews 26, Marner 26

Knies 21, Rossi 22, Nylander 28

Robertson 22, Tavares 35 McMann 27

and then you got Cowan and Minten coming up.

Gustavson and Woll are 25.

It's a pretty young group. at least up front and in net.
Cowan isnt a leaf if Rossi is and Marner isnt deal

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Watching Hellebuyck fall flat on his face this playoffs made me more wary than ever to hand out an expensive contract to a vet.

Unless a young up and coming bluechip falls into the teams lap via trade, I'd look for a solid tandem goalie to eat up games for Woll and also try and sign a cheap vet #3 and try and sneak them through waivers like they just did with Jones (maybe even Murray?)

Laurent Brossoit would be the guy to tandem with Woll.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I'm saying he shouldn't have tried to make that save because he literally didn't need to, because the game was over regardless.

I wouldn't normally say that but the next game is game 7, I'd rather he give up on 1 play in a game that's already over, because that's the key here that game was OVER.

I'd rather he give up on 1 play in a game that's already over and perserve himself for game 7 then what actually happened.

Because what actually happened probably cost them their season, and absolutely DID cause a back injury.

The back injury is important here because Vasi was out until December with a back injury.

They need 1 for sure, depending on how serious the injury is they might need 2.
First of all, what cost them their season was a lack of goal scoring. Blaming the goalie in a 2-1 OT loss seems like burying the lead. If you want to get more specific, the PP cost us the series.

Secondly, no goalie in the league is giving up on a play on the dying seconds of a shutout playoff victory. It is not reasonable to think he should have let up on the play in case he got injured.

Woll's injuries are a mild concern now. He is good enough to be out goalie next year, is he healthy enough?

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I think we're looking at a stopgap next year to help evaluate whether Woll can be the long-term guy, partly because the UFA options suck so you can't do anything except a stop gap unless you pull off a big trade.

Broissoit, Talbot, Stolarz, Reimer, etc are the best options in free agency - quality backups or aging/declining 1B/2A guys.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think we're looking at a stopgap next year to help evaluate whether Woll can be the long-term guy, partly because the UFA options suck so you can't do anything except a stop gap unless you pull off a big trade.

Broissoit, Talbot, Stolarz, Reimer, etc are the best options in free agency - quality backups or aging/declining 1B/2A guys.

We already have a quality backup his name is Joseph Woll.

Maybe he can be more if he ever decides to stay healthy but right now, until he can stay healthy he's a backup

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

I would go after Gustavsson. 25 years old, solid goaltender, signed for 3 years at 3.5m had a good year last year on Minny, this year wasn't as good but that's also not a good team. Could be a good young duo with Woll and him.

Then I would bring back Jones or Murray as the 3rd string goalie.

Murray?!?!

Reactions: Buds17

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I think they need a legit number 1. Woll is a talent, but has to establish himself behind an established #1.

Markstrom, Saros, Ulmark/Swayman etc. Any of those guys will do. Someone who can handle the workload of 50 games. Hildeby can be the #3 or go get a cheap option like Jones.

Reactions: TMLife17

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
It's about recognizing that Woll has played well enough but not often enough to be the guy in net just yet. I'd be looking to bring in a 1A or 1B for the short term who has the ability to take over if and when that's needed.
Woll needs to prove he can stay healthy. He’s been a disaster in that aspect and as of now not an option as our number one. Could be a backup for now.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009

At least Rielly could read what was happening there. Told Samsonov to poke - unfortunately Samsonov couldn't read it.

Actions speak louder than words. If Rielly could read what's happening he wouldn't have let Pasternak cruise to the net and would have positioned himself properly if he read the play. Not saying Samsonov didn't f*** up too but my point stands

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Actions speak louder than words. If Rielly could read what's happening he wouldn't have let Pasternak cruise to the net and would have positioned himself properly if he read the play. Not saying Samsonov didn't f*** up too but my point stands

Samsonov was closer to the puck. Rielly wasn't going to beat Pastrnak to it, but Samsonov could have.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Woll can’t even stay healthy for more then a month at a time. He hasn’t earned anything.
Yeah Woll is a nice peice. Young, can come in and play 25 games and win most but... he aint no number one. Woll may have destined himself to eternal backup. He will come in, make you want more, then get injured. He may even hold the record for Leaf goalies getting injured.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Stolarz... Reimer... Brossoit? You guys have terrible taste in tenders.

Both garbage.
I watched every flames game this season. markstrom is not garbage and we’d be lucky to have him in net. He’d easily be our best since Freddy.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
any other goalie will be an upgrade

Samsonov should be happy he made his few millions while he could because I doubt he ever sees another NHL game again

Reactions: Cassell

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I wonder if robin Lehner is able to return to the nhl. That would definitely give Vegas an excess

Reactions: Cleetus

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I'm not thrilled with any of those options honestly I would roll Woll - Jones with Hildey in the wings. Hildeby will be 23 next year he's 6'7, he's good, he will be pushing for a spot like Woll was. By playoffs we could have Woll/Hildey ready and a decent amount of cap space in play.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
I'm not thrilled with any of those options honestly I would roll Woll - Jones with Hildey in the wings. Hildeby will be 23 next year he's 6'7, he's good, he will be pushing for a spot like Woll was. By playoffs we could have Woll/Hildey ready and a decent amount of cap space in play.
A tandem goalie, backup, and ahl'er would be pretty dicey. Ideally we're not walking on egg shells all season long like the last four years.

Landing a #1G might be tough but need to get a proper tandem partner for Woll.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I think Skinner may be available.
:sarcasm:

Landing a #1G might be tough
Tough is finding a needle in a haystack.

Landing a #1G next year is finding a needle in a black hole and getting him back out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad