Prospect Info: Cal Petersen (2013, 129th) – '16-17: Notre Dame #40 (NCAA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
This thread will forever be all Schadenfreude, or all sour grapes. THERE IS NO IN BETWEEN!

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I wish nothing but failure on him

Agreed. I for one am not wishing he has an amazing pro career or that he is successful. I hope he gets Lit up more then Michel Dion and is riding a bus in the ECHL for a few years before failing at that. We use a draft pick on him and he does this? Bull ****.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I'd go and offer sheet LaDue or Gravel on July 1 at the highest 3rd round pick compensation level (around $1.96m). But I'm vindictive.

KHenry14

May 23, 2013
What an odd choice

[Tweet]880117037103628288[/MEDIA]

Well, the Kings have an excellent goalie coaching staff with Dusty Imoo and Bill Ranford. They resurrected Jack Campbell's career after being a #1 pick in Dallas who traded him west for a box of chocolates. And guys like JF Berube and Peter Budaj have NHL jobs in part because of them. That kind of coaching might be attractive to Petersen.

Plus, Quick is injury prone, so there may be opportunities in the future. And finally, the Kings know how to play good D (featuring a Norris winner) in front of their goalie. Kings can't score, but they do defend, and that could entice a player too.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Is this not tampering? He's still technically our prospect right?

There are a couple of possibilities here:
1) The Sabres may have allowed Petersen to talk to other teams since there really isn't any reason for them not to.
2) The 30 day window is based on when the Central Registry received word that Petersen was leaving school. It's possible that that happened before the official announcement was made.

I'd assume it's probably one of those scenarios (more likely the first, imo), because if it isn't and the Kings are tampering, then they're pretty stupid.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Does the UFA window where available players can start talking to teams not apply to Petersen? I was under the impression that any UFA players are allowed to talk to prospective teams at this point.

I agree on the surface it seems odd that Petersen wants Los Angeles. Hey, maybe they'll sign him and then flip him to us so we can bury him in the ECHL for a couple years.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I'd go and offer sheet LaDue or Gravel on July 1 at the highest 3rd round pick compensation level (around $1.96m). But I'm vindictive.

Would be a great way for Botts to puff his chest, I'm in

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Yeah, I'm not one of these "best of luck, Cal" guys. F that noise.

Hope he busts hard.

I'm not above being bitter, and I think in this case we have every right to be. Even more so than with Vesey.

This better be addressed in the next CBA.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Yeah, I'm not one of these "best of luck, Cal" guys. F that noise.

Hope he busts hard.

I'm not above being bitter, and I think in this case we have every right to be. Even more so than with Vesey.

It was addressed in the last CBA, when players specifically wanted this. The players all want more freedom in where they play, not less.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
He's a selfish ***** who thinks he's bigger then the game, **** him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio

There will be a compensatory 3rd round draft pick implemented, paid from the team signing the player to the team losing the player.

The sabres will be the first and possibly only team to sign another teams draft pick after the compensation takes effect.

The rule will be abolished the following year.

#sabres

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
I don't think Petersen is the sort of goalie who will develop quickly. It takes him a while to get the measure of each level he steps up against. He relies a lot more on reading plays and being a tactician than physical skills. Even as a Sabre I wouldn't have expected seeing him playing significant NHL minutes till 2019 or 2020 at the very earliest.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
It was addressed in the last CBA, when players specifically wanted this. The players all want more freedom in where they play, not less.

No doubt the players would want this - if the players had their ideal world, there would be no Draft at all, and prospects would just go sign wherever they wanted for as much money as they could. Which for the top prospects would mostly mean rich, big-markets like NYC (Vesey), LA (Petersen), and Chicago.

But the reason that this needs to be rectified is that this was not the intent of this clause of the CBA. This was intended to free prospects whose rights were owned by teams who had no interest in signing them, so they are not stuck in a place with no path forward. It was NOT intended to give prospects a mechanism to reject the team that drafted them and wants them and actively tries to sign them and develop them.

It's exploiting a CBA provision for a purpose for which it wasn't intended, which is the exact definition of the word "loophole." And it's a loophole that needs to be closed.

Maybe the answer is compensatory draft picks. Or maybe something else. But something has to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad