Cable alternative to flyers games

Shakey Graves

Jun 10, 2019
South Jersey
Verizon carries everything. They arent much better than Comcast price wise though.

I pay $163 for

Internet
HD Cable
3 HD DVR Boxes
HBO

I have FIOS and I have all the channels for Flyers games. I pay just under 100 a month for gigabit fiber internet, phone (never use, never even plugged in) and cable with the entertainment pack of channels added (wife tv crap). FIOS gigabit offer (if its available to you) is one of the best deals out there.

Whatever you do, don't think of getting NHL Gamecenter or NHLTV or whatever they brand it now. I did it last year and it was the worst experience. All the Flyers games are essentially blacked out (you can avoid with a VPN) and even when they aren't the price just isn't worth it. The service is such shit.

I've heard good things for Flyers games on FIOS, VUE and Youtube. I just had a friend sign up for T-Mobile TV about a week ago. They also now get all the Flyers games.

Shakey Graves

Jun 10, 2019
South Jersey
I have Verizon with only 100mbps speed at this point, for $60 including their router rental. I tried to finagle a good deal on the gigabit speed but couldn't make it work. (My buddy just recently got gigabit internet from Verizon for $75/month but they wanted like $90+ from me) I would certainly imagine a better speed would help out with the minor buffering issues. I'm not on a contract so I'm going to keep hounding them for a better deal every month or so.

I do get all the local channels through Hulu Live TV. If you put your zip code in here: Hulu with Live TV – More than just Live TV you should be able to see what's included in your area.
All you have to do is cancel your account for a particular day and then get a new service install the following day at your house. Change the name to your spouse, gf, brother, whatever and BINGO, new customer. My wife and I transfer are names back and forth on it everything they play hard ball on the package pricing LOL.

Reactions: Young Sandwich

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I too am old enough to remember Prism!

My sophomore year of college I lived in a house that *sorta* had cable, i.e. it was split off of someone else's or something. Prism came in, barely, in a very snowy white where it was hard to make out what was going on. That was still a vast improvement over freshman year in the dorms where I had no access whatsoever to Prism during the emergence of the Legion of Doom, and instead had to rely on the newspapers and the odd game on Fox to keep up with things.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Flyers games should be much more fun to watch this year. Even if they are just a .500 team, at least there won't be any shots of Hak's dumb face behind the bench after a goal against.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
All you have to do is cancel your account for a particular day and then get a new service install the following day at your house. Change the name to your spouse, gf, brother, whatever and BINGO, new customer. My wife and I transfer are names back and forth on it everything they play hard ball on the package pricing LOL.
I was actually going to mention this. I'm a Verizon customer and when I called to ask about switching to internet only I was quoted $95/month for 75mbps with no contract which I don't want right now because we're planning to move next spring. I told her I saw a deal online for 100mbps speed with on contract that came out to $53/month and she said she couldn't do it. I kind of implied that I would just cancel my service and have it reinstalled and she was saying there would be installation and set up fees ect. I decided to wait and talk to my wife and when I looked at the deal I saw again it said the installation and set up fees are waived! This is a no brainer. I was planning on calling on my lunch break to give them one last chance to give me that deal or something close to it before cancelling but it sounds like I'll just be wasting my time if you're saying you literally have to do this every couple years. Seems like a massive waste of time on their end to have to pay someone to come in, rip everything out and either throw it away or refurb it, then come right back the next day to install a new box and modem/router.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I too am old enough to remember Prism!

My dad used to videotape Flyers west coast games when I was a kid so I could watch them the next day. Somewhere I have a taped PRISM broadcast of a Flyers/Nucks game (with Vancouver in the classic skate planet jerseys) that ends with the first half hour of The Princess Bride.

If anyone has a VCR, of course.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
I was actually going to mention this. I'm a Verizon customer and when I called to ask about switching to internet only I was quoted $95/month for 75mbps with no contract which I don't want right now because we're planning to move next spring. I told her I saw a deal online for 100mbps speed with on contract that came out to $53/month and she said she couldn't do it. I kind of implied that I would just cancel my service and have it reinstalled and she was saying there would be installation and set up fees ect. I decided to wait and talk to my wife and when I looked at the deal I saw again it said the installation and set up fees are waived! This is a no brainer. I was planning on calling on my lunch break to give them one last chance to give me that deal or something close to it before cancelling but it sounds like I'll just be wasting my time if you're saying you literally have to do this every couple years. Seems like a massive waste of time on their end to have to pay someone to come in, rip everything out and either throw it away or refurb it, then come right back the next day to install a new box and modem/router.

If you have FIOS now you already have their box mounted on the side of your house, garage, or basement. They don't need to install anything. She's blowing smoke.

Also, tell them you want to cancel your service and are going to Comcast for internet only. They'll move your call to their customer retention department and cave in to your demands. Trust me, I do this song and dance every 2-3 years and they don't want to lose you as a customer.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
If you have FIOS now you already have their box mounted on the side of your house, garage, or basement. They don't need to install anything. She's blowing smoke.

Also, tell them you want to cancel your service and are going to Comcast for internet only. They'll move your call to their customer retention department and cave in to your demands. Trust me, I do this song and dance every 2-3 years and they don't want to lose you as a customer.
I'm going to call them in a bit but from what Shakey Graves said above and everything I'm reading online, they truly will allow you to cancel your service and have someone come out to your house and remove the equipment just to have someone else come out 24 hours later to install it again if it's registered in someone else's name (my wife). I'm sure it all depends on who you get on the other line. I'll try to negotiate but honestly, I'm inclined to just let them waste their time and resources if they give me any push back. My wife is a teacher and home for the summer so I don't have to worry about taking off of work for cancellation and installation. Plus, they'll end up giving me a brand new router/modem and box outside which I know do get outdated or go bad from time to time. My first box lasted 4 years and my service got wonky and they had to replace it and now this one is 4 years old. This whole process it leaving me with a bad taste in my mouth when I think about how petty these cable companies are.

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
I'm going to call them in a bit but from what Shakey Graves said above and everything I'm reading online, they truly will allow you to cancel your service and have someone come out to your house and remove the equipment just to have someone else come out 24 hours later to install it again if it's registered in someone else's name (my wife). I'm sure it all depends on who you get on the other line. I'll try to negotiate but honestly, I'm inclined to just let them waste their time and resources if they give me any push back. My wife is a teacher and home for the summer so I don't have to worry about taking off of work for cancellation and installation. Plus, they'll end up giving me a brand new router/modem and box outside which I know do get outdated or go bad from time to time. My first box lasted 4 years and my service got wonky and they had to replace it and now this one is 4 years old. This whole process it leaving me with a bad taste in my mouth when I think about how petty these cable companies are.

I may be wrong but they only remove their box if it's requested. Obviously the cable boxes and modem/router needs to be returned to the store. I switched back and forth between Comcast and Verizon in the past and both left their hookups on the side of my house. I had the Comcast box removed when I re-sided my house as it wasn't in use.

We're two different personalities I guess. I relish in the negotiating. The person on the other end gets scored on customer retention and they're going to do everything in his/her power to prevent you from leaving for their competitor. You hold almost all of the leverage here.

Reactions: StoneHands

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
Playstation Vue, SlingTv, YoutubeTv and Dishnow all should carry NBCSN, granted you will likely need to buy an add on package which can be between 5-20 bucks.

Verizon should have it as well, however i think they dont carry nbcsn+.

I've actually been toying with the idea of switching to Verizon and then just switching back to comcast when the contract is up...its just a pain in the ass.

The other issue is that i believe only SlingTV would carry NHL Network.

Verizon has NBCSP AND NBCSP+ both in Had

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
How many years have you been a Verizon customer, and which bundle do you have? I see Deals for a Gigabit internet/Cable Tv plan for $79.99 a month for two years with a multi room dvr.

Im currently spending close to $200 a month with Comcast. We have one dvr, i bought my own modem. so it makes little sense to stay with Comcast if Verizon has NHL Network, NBCSN and NBCSN+

Rebel and I, have the same package. You will get both NBCSP and + and NHL network. I had my own modem with comcast, but had to buy a modem from Fios. I also have a nighthawk router. I also prefer wired connections. All my tvs , desktops and laptops are wired.

Having a 5 port mini switch in each room is a nice way to hook it all up.

I still use wireless with phones or tablets, but I still love wired

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I may be wrong but they only remove their box if it's requested. Obviously the cable boxes and modem/router needs to be returned to the store. I switched back and forth between Comcast and Verizon in the past and both left their hookups on the side of my house. I had the Comcast box removed when I re-sided my house as it wasn't in use.

We're two different personalities I guess. I relish in the negotiating. The person on the other end gets scored on customer retention and they're going to do everything in his/her power to prevent you from leaving for their competitor. You hold almost all of the leverage here.
Maybe she wasn't saying that they would have to come out to remove the box and that's just the way I took it. Who knows. Either way she tried to tell me that a new set up and installation fee would be applied with the new service which I found out was a flat out lie. I'll find out shortly which direction I'll need to go.

Reactions: Peter Man

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
Does NHL TV black out Flyers games if you’re local?

Yes, however there is a VPN called HMA. It's about 80 for a yr, I believe they bill annually.

But you can change your location to Chicago or wherever and refresh your browser infact delete cookies and try nhl.tv that will open flyers games

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
And even if you’re not. I live in ****ing Asbury Park, firmly in Rangers/Devils broadcast territory, and NHL.tv blacks out the Flyers just because—not that any TV provider around here offers NBCSP. The blackout ends about four miles up the road. Center Ice it is for me, meaning I have to keep my $135 Verizon plus the $160 annual package, but I just end up watching lots and lots of hockey because of that.

Oddly enough, MLB At Bat does not black out the Phillies here.

Just go find any angry uninformed racist in any bar, tie a bowtie on him, and you can basically replace that programming block for just the price of his Busch cans.

Try HMA VPN

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
We pay around 135 I think for fios triple play and NBCSP and NBCSP+. No movie channels and a middlish tier. Not sure the speed but it's fine for streaming. One from the top I think. Just one DVR box which is getting dated after 5 years.

Considering that if we just got high speed internet it would be 100 or something close, it's a relatively good deal. Have to haggle with them periodically and the fios interface is crap compared to Comcast but I get to see the flyers and my wife the phils. We have Netflix too and it's all much more than we can watch for under 150.

Last edited:

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Try HMA VPN

Eh, I basically settled on Center Ice. There's going to be about 25 games per year that I'd get anyway since I get Rangers/Islanders/Devils locally, plus national broadcasts.

After that, I've rationalized it to: I pay $3 per game to watch every other Flyers game, in HD, from my couch, with home or away broadcast (and I often go with away to avoid JJ and the Pravda squad, thought Taryn has made that difficult). I think I'm OK paying that number, ultimately, because I don't go out to bars really ever anymore, and I see about two movies for year, and I see almost all of my concerts for free. Plus, as a bonus, I get every other NHL game every season to watch, which is terrific.

Reactions: PHILOUDELPHIA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad