Cable alternative to flyers games

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I’m the idiot that just signed up for a new two year contract with Xfinity today.
I'm the idiot that re-upped with Fios for two more years this January
and now I'm moving, which is the best way to get out of yr contract [no Fios TV in the new area, just internets]
what a satisfying phone call that was

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I'm the idiot that re-upped with Fios for two more years this January
and now I'm moving, which is the best way to get out of yr contract [no Fios TV in the new area, just internets]
what a satisfying phone call that was
That happened to me with Shaw Cable. Signed a 1 year contract with a specific package and then I got a job that required me to relocate. They wanted me to pay around $500. I had been with them for 7 years so I played the loyalty card and said it wasn't my fault I was moving to a place that Shaw didn't service. They ended up dropping it to $150, which I still wasn't satisfied with so I told them they'll get their money in $10 installments over the next 15 months. They keep sending me letters that they're going to contact some collection agency to come after me

7 months to go :thumbu:

I cut the cord after this

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Not singling you out cause it's the standard term now, but if you're still paying a company for internet access that comes via some kind of cable, you ain't really cutting the cord.

Shakey Graves

Jun 10, 2019
South Jersey
expect, alot of streaming companies to raise there prices.
See now, I believe this will be the opposite. Netflix is going to be scrambling for customers when Disney+ launches. In fact, Netflix most recent quarterly results stated they only added 2.7 million customers last quarter, which is half of what they and the industry forecasted. Netflix saws its first major loss of subscribers and about 2.7 million less than anticipated (that's a huge blow).

Disney+ already stated that you will be able to get Hulu, ESPN+ and Disney+ for $12.99, which is the same price as the Netflix Standard plan. You can get Disney+ solo for only $6.99, which is $2 less than the entry level price at Netflix.

Competition is always good for consumers. The next couple years all the media companies are going to push towards this digital distribution model. When the dust settles and only a couple of these platforms remain though, then pricing may not be consumer friendly. For the next year or two though, everyone will price competitive to try and get you to try our their service or flip to their service.

I'll be happy when the physical cable boxes go the way of the pay phone and just disappear forever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebels57

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Does it have local blackouts?

I already pay for NHL.tv for Coyotes games.
It does. That’s why I don’t get it. When I lived out of the Philly area I had it, though. I asked earlier ITT if the blackouts had changed & was told no.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It does. That’s why I don’t get it. When I lived out of the Philly area I had it, though. I asked earlier ITT if the blackouts had changed & was told no.

Even in the DC area it's crap. First you have all the games against the Caps gone. Then after that you learn this team is televised here about 525,600 times a year.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Even in the DC area it's crap. First you have all the games against the Caps gone. Then after that you learn this team is televised here about 525,600 times a year.
That’s true — I ended up not getting it when I lived in DC.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
See now, I believe this will be the opposite. Netflix is going to be scrambling for customers when Disney+ launches. In fact, Netflix most recent quarterly results stated they only added 2.7 million customers last quarter, which is half of what they and the industry forecasted. Netflix saws its first major loss of subscribers and about 2.7 million less than anticipated (that's a huge blow).

Disney+ already stated that you will be able to get Hulu, ESPN+ and Disney+ for $12.99, which is the same price as the Netflix Standard plan. You can get Disney+ solo for only $6.99, which is $2 less than the entry level price at Netflix.

Competition is always good for consumers. The next couple years all the media companies are going to push towards this digital distribution model. When the dust settles and only a couple of these platforms remain though, then pricing may not be consumer friendly. For the next year or two though, everyone will price competitive to try and get you to try our their service or flip to their service.

I'll be happy when the physical cable boxes go the way of the pay phone and just disappear forever.

Netflix come Nov 12th will be its End.

Alot of Content is being removed, by Disney, At&t.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
It's been a week now since I cut cable. Verizon refused to give me the new customer rate for internet ($39.99 for 100mbps) and the lowest they would go was $75 with a 2 year contract or $97 with no contract. What a joke. I cancelled the service right away on the phone and then signed up 5 minutes later under my wife's name and now our first bill is out and it's $52 for the month (including router rental) and now I have no contract which is huge since we're planning to move in the spring. They ended up coming out and replacing my outside box and gave me a newer upgraded router which took them 3+ hours and 4 workers. All of this could have been avoided had they just given me the rate I asked for and ultimately got.

Hulu Live has been working well for me. My bill is $47 so $99 total with internet as opposed to nearly $200 with just Verizon. I'm considering upgrading my plan so I can fast forward through commercials which kind of sucks. If YouTube TV becomes available via fire stick I might give them a shot to see which I prefer but for now I'm satisfied and loving paying half what I used to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deadpool8812

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
It's been a week now since I cut cable. Verizon refused to give me the new customer rate for internet ($39.99 for 100mbps) and the lowest they would go was $75 with a 2 year contract or $97 with no contract. What a joke. I cancelled the service and then signed up 5 minutes later under my wife's name and now our first bill is out and it's $52 for the month (including router rental) and now I have no contract which is huge since we're planning to move in the spring. They ended up coming out and replacing my outside box and gave me a newer upgraded router which took them 3+ hours and 4 workers. All of this could have been avoided had they just give me the rate I asked for and ultimately got.

Hulu Live has been working well for me. My bill is $47 so $99 total with internet as opposed to nearly $200 with just Verizon. I'm considering upgrading my plan so I can fast forward through commercials which kind of sucks. If YouTube TV becomes available via fire stick I might give them a shot to see which I prefer but for now I'm satisfied and loving paying half what I used to.
Just be aware that the Hulu no commercial plan doesn't get rid of all commercials. Obviously live commercials are still there, but even some on demand/DVR stuff will still have commercials. I believe it's only stuff on standard Hulu that wouldn't have commercials, and anything else on demand that wouldn't normally have them no matter the streaming service.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Just be aware that the Hulu no commercial plan doesn't get rid of all commercials. Obviously live commercials are still there, but even some on demand/DVR stuff will still have commercials. I believe it's only stuff on standard Hulu that wouldn't have commercials, and anything else on demand that wouldn't normally have them no matter the streaming service.
That's good to know. I got annoyed trying to watch a show the other night on demand which ended up having 80-90 seconds of commercials every 10 minutes or so. If I DVR shows I can fast forward through those commercials, right? I usually end up DVRing every Flyers game because my kids go to bed at 7 and 7:30 so I'm usually not done with that routine until after 8pm. It's nice to be able to start the game at 8 and finish it right around the time the game is ending in real time. No commercials and no intermission makes it pretty easy to watch a game in an hour and a half so I hope I can still do that.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I just know that services are piling up.

80$ for internet
10$ for VRV (anime streaming)
Whatever Netflix is now after another price hike
15$ for MMORPG
NHL.tv / 12 months
Formerly YoutubeTV for 35, jumped to 50 (aaaand cancelled).
Amazon Prime Streaming / 12 months
Donations to content creators on Patreon randomly

I could afford more, but I dislike getting nickel and dimed to death on principle. Just doesn't sit well. Entertainment budget keeps ballooning.

One friend told me Hulu isn't bad for sports right now.
I was considering that AMC or Regal movie ticketpass, just to see more movies, get out of the house more.

Now Disney, AMC, ESPN, Big Network channels are all jumping into the streaming pie. I assume minimally Disney+ will be added.

As it is, I'm not a huge tv watcher.

There is more than enough content to watch on VRV alone.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Does it have local blackouts?

I already pay for NHL.tv for Coyotes games.
No blackouts at all and if you miss the games for whatever reason you can watch it anytime as its always up for viewing and you can go back years and watch games also plus all playoff games also. Early bird special is 179 cdn and with 5 friends it f*** all for every game.

Reactions: Flyotes

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
That's good to know. I got annoyed trying to watch a show the other night on demand which ended up having 80-90 seconds of commercials every 10 minutes or so. If I DVR shows I can fast forward through those commercials, right? I usually end up DVRing every Flyers game because my kids go to bed at 7 and 7:30 so I'm usually not done with that routine until after 8pm. It's nice to be able to start the game at 8 and finish it right around the time the game is ending in real time. No commercials and no intermission makes it pretty easy to watch a game in an hour and a half so I hope I can still do that.
Yeah Flyers games you can fast forward with DVR. But if you DVR a show that otherwise would make you watch commercials on demand, then you won't be able to fast forward. It's super confusing at first and took me forever to actually figure out.

Reactions: StoneHands

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
No blackouts at all and if you miss the games for whatever reason you can watch it anytime as its always up for viewing and you can go back years and watch games also plus all playoff games also. Early bird special is 179 cdn and with 5 friends it **** all for every game.
It has local blackouts, juts not in playoffs

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->