Cable alternative to flyers games

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
We pay around 135 I think for fios triple play and NBCSP and NBCSP+. No movie channels and a middlish tier. Not sure the speed but it's fine for streaming. One from the top I think. Just one DVR box which is getting dated after 5 years. Considering that if we just got high speed internet it would be 100 or something close, it's a relatively good deal. Have to haggle with them periodically and the fios interface is crap compared to Comcast but I get to see the flyers and my wife the phils. We have Netflix too and it's all much more than we can watch for under 150.
The Verizon offer right now for "new customers" comes out to $52.71 a month for 100mbps or $72.71 a month for 300mbps which is apparently way more than anyone really needs. That's with no 2 year contract. I was quoted at roughly $100 for me to switch to the internet only plan without signing a 2 year contract and that was with the 75mbps internet. The idea of spending nearly double the cost of a new customer while also having slow internet is beyond frustrating. If I can get the deal for $52.71 and stream Hulu Live for $50 a month I'll be getting nearly all the content I was getting with my Verizon cable plan for like $80 less. I signed up for a free week trial of Hulu Live and watch the Phillies game last night on it with no problems.

Reactions: orangey

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
Eh, I basically settled on Center Ice. There's going to be about 25 games per year that I'd get anyway since I get Rangers/Islanders/Devils locally, plus national broadcasts.

After that, I've rationalized it to: I pay $3 per game to watch every other Flyers game, in HD, from my couch, with home or away broadcast (and I often go with away to avoid JJ and the Pravda squad, thought Taryn has made that difficult). I think I'm OK paying that number, ultimately, because I don't go out to bars really ever anymore, and I see about two movies for year, and I see almost all of my concerts for free. Plus, as a bonus, I get every other NHL game every season to watch, which is terrific.

What's funny is I'm in south Jersey, I actually see some NYC stations, not all of them. I have YES, but games are blacked out, except with sports packages.

I pay for extra Innings, center ice, league pass.

The good thing is if you do it that way, you get mlb.tv nhl.tv. and league pass online free

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I’m the idiot that just signed up for a new two year contract with Xfinity today.

We lost part of our “new customer” deal as the first year of our two year deal ended last month making our bill jump $40. Our internet speed was trash (150) so I looked at the deals they have out there and saw that they had gig speed and all of the premium channels and Netflix for what amounted to $15/month more than my now post discount bill.

Still getting bent over but it’s the devil I know. I figured between being able to cancel Netflix and the fact I was going to re-sign up for the sports package for Red Zone next month I’ll come out ahead and have much faster internet.

Reactions: PHILOUDELPHIA

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
The Verizon offer right now for "new customers" comes out to $52.71 a month for 100mbps or $72.71 a month for 300mbps which is apparently way more than anyone really needs. That's with no 2 year contract. I was quoted at roughly $100 for me to switch to the internet only plan without signing a 2 year contract and that was with the 75mbps internet. The idea of spending nearly double the cost of a new customer while also having slow internet is beyond frustrating. If I can get the deal for $52.71 and stream Hulu Live for $50 a month I'll be getting nearly all the content I was getting with my Verizon cable plan for like $80 less. I signed up for a free week trial of Hulu Live and watch the Phillies game last night on it with no problems.

There is also a 20 credit if you have Verizon wireless with fios

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
I’m the idiot that just signed up for a new two year contract with Xfinity today.

We lost part of our “new customer” deal as the first year of our two year deal ended last month making our bill jump $40. Our internet speed was trash (150) so I looked at the deals they have out there and saw that they had gig speed and all of the premium channels and Netflix for what amounted to $15/month more than my now post discount bill.

Still getting bent over but it’s the devil I know. I figured between being able to cancel Netflix and the fact I was going to re-sign up for the sports package for Red Zone next month I’ll come out ahead and have much faster internet.

HC, do you own the modem, and do you have a decent router.

Also if you can wire the Tv, and computers you will have faster internet.

I owned a modem router, but disabled the router, due to having a nighthawk

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
So I just officially cut the cord with Verizon. The rep I spoke with negotiated down to $75 a month (she started at $95) but the speed was only going to be 75mbps so cancelled effective Friday (I leave for thousand islands NY Thursday night and return Monday anyway). I'll sign up with my wife's name and it will be reconnected on Tuesday next week. My total will now be $53 a month (no contract) for 100mbps internet and $45 plus tax for Hulu Live where I can watch all the Flyers games as opposed to the nearly $200 I have been paying.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I'm in Canada and cutting the cable was a no brainer for me. I wish I would have done it earlier. The cable/satellite providers here are con artists. There are much better and cheaper alternatives available then having to pay $75+ a month for a channel package where you only regularly watch 5 channels.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackandOrange

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Im really close to switching to Youtube TV, I need at least 200MB internet, Im currently with verizon but ghave no contract.

Reactions: PHILOUDELPHIA

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Flyers games should be much more fun to watch this year. Even if they are just a .500 team, at least there won't be any shots of Hak's dumb face behind the bench after a goal against.

Except when we play Toronto, heh.

The first home game against them is on 11/2 with the second on 12/3.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Called Comcast and they want 99 a month for my current internet speed 250mb if I drop cable.

Verizon offered me 79 a month for almost gig speed internet for 3 years but with a one time 99 install fee.

Comcast countered with a triple play package for 169 but with taxes and fees would be 191 a month for 400mb internet, Netflix, showtime and starz no contract.

if I go just internet only I’d be looking at YouTube tv which is 50 a month so I’d be looking at minimum of 130 plus a one time install fee for Verizon if I switched.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Decided to stop into the Xfinity store tonight to see if they had a 4K box in store.

They did, finally, so I dropped my main box/DVR off for the switch.

Get home to install it and what do you know? Box is broken.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

HerbieG23

Jul 11, 2019
I cut the cable about 3 years ago and have been suffering with no hockey except for watching the highlights online after the fact. But I'm not willing to pay 150 a month or more for cable plus all the extras. I was talking to one of my tenants literally the day the Blues won the cup and was saying if I could just have HBO and flyers hockey I would pay 50 a month but since they make it stupid with bundles of crap you don't want I just can't justify the cost. He started talking about IPTV and a bunch of programs that all sounded greek to me but I told him to message me the names of the programs and I would look it up. So bottom line he told me with my android box to use Gears Reloaded. Been using it since and its basically Direct tv with 414 channels and so far I get pretty much every baseball game, so I'm super pumped for hockey season. Besides our internet connection we're paying $20/ month and ya so channels work better than others but overall been very happy with it as it beats the crap outta no tv.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I cut the cable about 3 years ago and have been suffering with no hockey except for watching the highlights online after the fact. But I'm not willing to pay 150 a month or more for cable plus all the extras. I was talking to one of my tenants literally the day the Blues won the cup and was saying if I could just have HBO and flyers hockey I would pay 50 a month but since they make it stupid with bundles of crap you don't want I just can't justify the cost. He started talking about IPTV and a bunch of programs that all sounded greek to me but I told him to message me the names of the programs and I would look it up. So bottom line he told me with my android box to use Gears Reloaded. Been using it since and its basically Direct tv with 414 channels and so far I get pretty much every baseball game, so I'm super pumped for hockey season. Besides our internet connection we're paying $20/ month and ya so channels work better than others but overall been very happy with it as it beats the crap outta no tv.

Hulu Live TV (which carries Flyers games) + HBO Go would cost you $55 per month

Last edited:

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
reading some of these cable bills are killing me...bottom line cable not worth it anymore.
streaming is aready the future,im honestly suprised why some people still have cable.:dunno:

Because ive seen people who stream go back.

Decent internet will be 80 to 100

Then the streaming service is what 50 bucks

Before you know it your up to 120 in streaming, not including hbo or Netflix.

163 is what I pay and that's it.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Because ive seen people who stream go back.

Decent internet will be 80 to 100

Then the streaming service is what 50 bucks

Before you know it your up to 120 in streaming, not including hbo or Netflix.

163 is what I pay and that's it.

Nope. You're way too high with that price

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Nope. You're way too high with that price

XFinity Internet packages range from $35-$75

Hulu Live (for example) is $40

Add in HBO Go ($15) and Netflix ($14) and you are at between $104-$144 before tax. Add in $13 more to rent a modem from Comcast if you dont own one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad