Cable alternative to flyers games

Flyers Faithful

Feb 12, 2016
Hello all,

I currently have Comcast and they just raised our bill $20 out of nowhere. I want to get rid of it but no other cable or satellite provider has NBC sports philly. Does anyone have a different provider that carries this channel?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hello all,

I currently have Comcast and they just raised our bill $20 out of nowhere. I want to get rid of it but no other cable or satellite provider has NBC sports philly. Does anyone have a different provider that carries this channel?

The Playstation Vue app carries NBCSN. I think their packages start around $40 per month. Its an option if you are looking to cut the cord.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Playstation Vue, SlingTv, YoutubeTv and Dishnow all should carry NBCSN, granted you will likely need to buy an add on package which can be between 5-20 bucks.

Verizon should have it as well, however i think they dont carry nbcsn+.

I've actually been toying with the idea of switching to Verizon and then just switching back to comcast when the contract is up...its just a pain in the ass.

The other issue is that i believe only SlingTV would carry NHL Network.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Playstation Vue, SlingTv, YoutubeTv and Dishnow all should carry NBCSN, granted you will likely need to buy an add on package which can be between 5-20 bucks.

Verizon should have it as well, however i think they dont carry nbcsn+.

I've actually been toying with the idea of switching to Verizon and then just switching back to comcast when the contract is up...its just a pain in the ass.

The other issue is that i believe only SlingTV would carry NHL Network.

Verizon carries everything. They arent much better than Comcast price wise though.

I pay $163 for

Internet
HD Cable
3 HD DVR Boxes
HBO

Reactions: PHILOUDELPHIA

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Verizon carries everything. They arent much better than Comcast price wise though.

I pay $163 for

Internet
HD Cable
3 HD DVR Boxes
HBO

How many years have you been a Verizon customer, and which bundle do you have? I see Deals for a Gigabit internet/Cable Tv plan for $79.99 a month for two years with a multi room dvr.

Im currently spending close to $200 a month with Comcast. We have one dvr, i bought my own modem. so it makes little sense to stay with Comcast if Verizon has NHL Network, NBCSN and NBCSN+

Reactions: PHILOUDELPHIA

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
How many years have you been a Verizon customer, and which bundle do you have? I see Deals for a Gigabit internet/Cable Tv plan for $79.99 a month for two years with a multi room dvr.

Im currently spending close to $200 a month with Comcast. We have one dvr, i bought my own modem. so it makes little sense to stay with Comcast if Verizon has NHL Network, NBCSN and NBCSN+

I'm spending about the same, I'm paying 223 a month with comcast for the HD complete package which is premium with 4 boxes plus sports pack with redzone Everytime I try to lower or get rid of the phone, they raise the rates for the other 2 services and equipment goes up. So my choices were pay about 160 for starter package plus equipment, or pay 200 for 4 boxes with premiums. I to have own modem.

If I knew NBCSN philly and NBCSN + was on other choices I'd like to give it a shot. Directv lied to me in the past.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I'm spending about the same, I'm paying 223 a month with comcast for the HD complete package which is premium with 4 boxes plus sports pack with redzone Everytime I try to lower or get rid of the phone, they raise the rates for the other 2 services and equipment goes up. So my choices were pay about 160 for starter package plus equipment, or pay 200 for 4 boxes with premiums. I to have own modem.

If I knew NBCSN philly and NBCSN + was on other choices I'd like to give it a shot. Directv lied to me in the past.

So Xfinity had us package internet, cable and phone even though we dont use the phone.

Digital Preferred
Blast Internet
Unlimited Home Phone
+ 1 DVR

We are at 179 a month add on taxes and fees and we are at 190 each month.

We hate dealing with them.

I spoke with Verizon about what bundles i should use to get nbcsn, nbcsn+, nhl network and other cable channels, they recommended an extreme tv internet bundle which would be 105 a month + 10 bucks for hbo + 12 bucks for a dvr and another 10 bucks for the Quantam Gateway Router which is the only modem/router that will work with fios apparently. So thats around $140+ a month. My fiance works at a company that would give us $5 off services each month as well. not including taxes/fees/regional sports net tax etc...

Another issue is that we use a Roku 3 and the xfinity stream app as a secondary set top box. With Fios, i dont believe you can do that. So we would need to add on another set top box which would basically put us at the same price as xfinity.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Thinking about finding a cable alternative to the Flyers myself tonight and in the future. Anything good on HBO?

Hey oh.

Reactions: Danko

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
So Xfinity had us package internet, cable and phone even though we dont use the phone.

Digital Preferred
Blast Internet
Unlimited Home Phone
+ 1 DVR

We are at 179 a month add on taxes and fees and we are at 190 each month.

We hate dealing with them.

I spoke with Verizon about what bundles i should use to get nbcsn, nbcsn+, nhl network and other cable channels, they recommended an extreme tv internet bundle which would be 105 a month + 10 bucks for hbo + 12 bucks for a dvr and another 10 bucks for the Quantam Gateway Router which is the only modem/router that will work with fios apparently. So thats around $140+ a month. My fiance works at a company that would give us $5 off services each month as well. not including taxes/fees/regional sports net tax etc...

Another issue is that we use a Roku 3 and the xfinity stream app as a secondary set top box. With Fios, i dont believe you can do that. So we would need to add on another set top box which would basically put us at the same price as xfinity.

That was what I was paying with no premiums and only 1 box about 179.

So I went to the Xfinity Store in Mays Landing NJ, I'm not sure where you are, but I believe they put Xfinity Stores around the area.

So I was threatening to cancel comcast all together in August 2016. The guys said he could put me on what is called the HD/DVR premium Complete package at 199 + tax which is about 220 a month. So It included 4 boxes, all premiums, and sports pack that included NFL redzone, I have own modem wich saved 10,

I was paying what you were 179 + tax for no premiums and only 1 box.

So what I learned, no matter what service you decide to have, they want everyone paying about 200 a month for cable

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
Thinking about finding a cable alternative to the Flyers myself tonight and in the future. Anything good on HBO?

Hey oh.

If you do, and it works let us know how it works and what deal you get.

But I wonder, if Comcast is planning for people who just have internet that they would raise the package alone or worse put a data limit on it.

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
I have Verizon. 1 HDR box. Internet, 2 phone lines and every channel. About $200 per month. You also get a discount if you are a Verizon Wireless customer ($10 per month). I have had no problems with their customer service in 4 or 5 years of being a customer.

I run my business out of my house and comcast would not let me have cable tv with the rest of the package if it was under a business account. They wanted $170 (before taxes) for both cable TV and for Phone/Internet), so over $340 per month. Verizon let me combine it. I would never go back to comcast.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I called the retention department at comcast and they said i was on there cheapest bundle for that plan, although i could drop down to a double pay for 149 (what the current bundle im on is priced at without equipment) and would lose hbo and starz. they literally just offered me the same price for less services as a way to keep me....

I then laughed and they offered me another bundle which would be an extreme everything package which includes all movie channels, dvr, etc... for $10 more a month.

Ridiculous.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
I called the retention department at comcast and they said i was on there cheapest bundle for that plan, although i could drop down to a double pay for 149 (what the current bundle im on is priced at without equipment) and would lose hbo and starz. they literally just offered me the same price for less services as a way to keep me....

I then laughed and they offered me another bundle which would be an extreme everything package which includes all movie channels, dvr, etc... for $10 more a month.

Ridiculous.

Yup, 10 bucks more your in the everything package, that is kinda how I was. The moment you go the other way , the quality of service goes down.

I agree Ridculous

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
I have Verizon. 1 HDR box. Internet, 2 phone lines and every channel. About $200 per month. You also get a discount if you are a Verizon Wireless customer ($10 per month). I have had no problems with their customer service in 4 or 5 years of being a customer.

I run my business out of my house and comcast would not let me have cable tv with the rest of the package if it was under a business account. They wanted $170 (before taxes) for both cable TV and for Phone/Internet), so over $340 per month. Verizon let me combine it. I would never go back to comcast.

I actually just got the notice it's finally available in my area here in Mays Landing.

But 200 a month for everything, is currently what I'm paying at comcast. Is FIOS ondemand as good as comcast?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I use YouTubeTV and never had a problem and it is cheapest service I know of. It doesn't have TCN though so every now and then you have no way to watch the game.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

I pay $163 for

Internet
HD Cable
3 HD DVR Boxes
HBO

before i cut the cord with Comcast I was paying 219 for cable and unlimited internet and didnt have any movie package. I actually may have had 2 starz channels.
PS Vue does recommend the highest speed internet for their streaming service.
have had the Vue for a year and half and I am happy with it.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Hulu Live TV has NBCS, NBCSPhilly, and NBCSPhilly+ (TCN). So you will never miss a Flyers game. There are some minor buffering issues every once in a while, but nothing outlandish. It's $40/month and includes 40ish live channels plus the full standard Hulu on demand library. I switched over about a month ago now and wish I did it earlier. I don't miss cable one bit.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
Hulu Live TV has NBCS, NBCSPhilly, and NBCSPhilly+ (TCN). So you will never miss a Flyers game. There are some minor buffering issues every once in a while, but nothing outlandish. It's $40/month and includes 40ish live channels plus the full standard Hulu on demand library. I switched over about a month ago now and wish I did it earlier. I don't miss cable one bit.

Your the first to really reply with a streaming service that offers both NBCSP and NBCSP+.

What is your internet service provider? What internet plan are you on. I imagine the buffering could be eliminated with great speed coming in with bandwidth, I also have a Nitehawk router which has improved wifi in my home big time.

Also do you get locals, like NBC 10 , etc?

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Your the first to really reply with a streaming service that offers both NBCSP and NBCSP+.

What is your internet service provider? What internet plan are you on. I imagine the buffering could be eliminated with great speed coming in with bandwidth, I also have a Nitehawk router which has improved wifi in my home big time.

Also do you get locals, like NBC 10 , etc?

I have Verizon with only 100mbps speed at this point, for $60 including their router rental. I tried to finagle a good deal on the gigabit speed but couldn't make it work. (My buddy just recently got gigabit internet from Verizon for $75/month but they wanted like $90+ from me) I would certainly imagine a better speed would help out with the minor buffering issues. I'm not on a contract so I'm going to keep hounding them for a better deal every month or so.

I do get all the local channels through Hulu Live TV. If you put your zip code in here: Hulu with Live TV – More than just Live TV you should be able to see what's included in your area.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
I have Verizon with only 100mbps speed at this point, for $60 including their router rental. I tried to finagle a good deal on the gigabit speed but couldn't make it work. (My buddy just recently got gigabit internet from Verizon for $75/month but they wanted like $90+ from me) I would certainly imagine a better speed would help out with the minor buffering issues. I'm not on a contract so I'm going to keep hounding them for a better deal every month or so.

I do get all the local channels through Hulu Live TV. If you put your zip code in here: Hulu with Live TV – More than just Live TV you should be able to see what's included in your area.

That's not bad, only thing i wish they also had was MLB/ NFL network , but I could do without them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad