Cable alternative to flyers games

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I have Verizon. 1 HDR box. Internet, 2 phone lines and every channel. About $200 per month. You also get a discount if you are a Verizon Wireless customer ($10 per month). I have had no problems with their customer service in 4 or 5 years of being a customer.

I run my business out of my house and comcast would not let me have cable tv with the rest of the package if it was under a business account. They wanted $170 (before taxes) for both cable TV and for Phone/Internet), so over $340 per month. Verizon let me combine it. I would never go back to comcast.

I too switched to Verizon around 3 years ago.

I pay $164 at the moment.

3 × Multiroom HD DVR
Internet
HBO
Sports Networks (NHL Network, etc)

Still too much IMO and im considering cutting the cord when my contract expires.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Your the first to really reply with a streaming service that offers both NBCSP and NBCSP+.

What is your internet service provider? What internet plan are you on. I imagine the buffering could be eliminated with great speed coming in with bandwidth, I also have a Nitehawk router which has improved wifi in my home big time.

Also do you get locals, like NBC 10 , etc?

Playstatiom Vue also has NBCSN Philly and the rest for around the same price I think ($40)

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
20 bucks for an iptv service with 500 channels that I use with with my firestick, android phone and laptop (3 devices)....it has been a godsend for my bottom line.

Reactions: HerbieG23

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I'd be willing to give up on NHL Network if it saves me hundreds of dollars per year.

Im gonna try the hulu with live tv trial and see how it goes...i agree, im not gonna keep spending hundreds of dollars just because they dont have nhl network on a streaming option

Reactions: TroutHockey

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Im gonna try the hulu with live tv trial and see how it goes...i agree, im not gonna keep spending hundreds of dollars just because they dont have nhl network on a streaming option

Yeah I most likely going to cut the cord and go with ..

Cheapest internet I can find
Netflix
Amazon Prime (which my wifes grandmom gifts to us ever year at Christmas)
Firestick which has many "alternative" add-ons for streaming
Best/cheapest live TV streaming app (Hulu, Vue, Youtube, etc)

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
But I wonder, if Comcast is planning for people who just have internet that they would raise the package alone or worse put a data limit on it.

I'm in the Reading area, so might be a little different pricing, but when I had intenet only from Comcast/xfinity it was 125/mo for the fastest (blast I think). Recently dropped Directv and switched to Comcast/xfinity for TV too, and now I pay 164 for internet and TV (plus phone service that I don't use, but it is cheaper to have it). That includes all the regular stations, regional sports package and Starz. So if I drop the TV and keep internet through them it only drops by $40. No real savings there. You'd have to find a much cheaper internet only solution to make it work, especially if you are combining two or three streaming services to get all the channels, sports and movies.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
YouTube TV has what you need
From what I undertand, YouTube TV doesn't have NBCSN+ (The old TCN) which carries about 20 Flyers games a year. I looked into it and my friend has it and I went over there for a game and he couldn't find it because it was on NBCSN+.

I'm dying to get away from Verizon or Comcast but I can't find anything easy to use (something my wife and young daughter can figure out) that doesn't include complicated streaming sites and all that crap.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
From what I undertand, YouTube TV doesn't have NBCSN+ (The old TCN) which carries about 20 Flyers games a year. I looked into it and my friend has it and I went over there for a game and he couldn't find it because it was on NBCSN+.

I'm dying to get away from Verizon or Comcast but I can't find anything easy to use (something my wife and young daughter can figure out) that doesn't include complicated streaming sites and all that crap.

Honestly i'd probably be okay with missing 20 games a season to save hundreds of dollars too.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Is there a streaming service that is superior to others in # of games available?
I'm experiencing trouble with my usual method.

I mean it looks like most of them offer nbcsnp, nbcsnp+ and nbcsportsnet - which should cover most of of the games....nhl network has carried a preseason game or two in the past, but they also carry the world juniors which is what i would really miss.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Honestly i'd probably be okay with missing 20 games a season to save hundreds of dollars too.

I never thought I'd be a cord cutter, but I could live without NBCSN+. And I just started having this super annoying issue where everytime I unpause DVR content I get this sharp audio crackle. So getting rid of my FIOS set top boxes is pretty appealing.

Reactions: Rebels57

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Yeah I most likely going to cut the cord and go with ..

Cheapest internet I can find
Netflix
Amazon Prime (which my wifes grandmom gifts to us ever year at Christmas)
Firestick which has many "alternative" add-ons for streaming
Best/cheapest live TV streaming app (Hulu, Vue, Youtube, etc)
Got fire tablet and firestick. Tablet is pure garbage, but fire stick is fricking great.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
So i downloaded Youtube TV and started the 12 day trial...I have 200mb internet which is generally pretty fast, i tested using a Sony X900E Android Tv. The content itself was great...looks like they have a lot of old episodes of tv shows. I was bummed to find out that they don't carry Discovery Chanel, AMC, TNT or TBS.

I started watching Shark Tank and it skipped a few times to start, then it ran smooth for a few minutes, it seemed like great high def picture quality. It has commercials, that you have to watch for 2 minutes, it has a timer which is nice because it lets you figure out how long you've got to go do something. I obviously hate watching the commercials, and because i have to open my phone and go to an app to change the channel i ending up watching them...plus you have to watch the commercial before you can resume the show even if you change the channel.

It was dead about 40 minutes in...it just started presenting an error on every channel except for youtube red content. I tried closing the app and reopening, reconnecting to Wifi etc...couldn't get it to resume.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So i downloaded Youtube TV and started the 12 day trial...I have 200mb internet which is generally pretty fast, i tested using a Sony X900E Android Tv. The content itself was great...looks like they have a lot of old episodes of tv shows. I was bummed to find out that they don't carry Discovery Chanel, AMC, TNT or TBS.

I started watching Shark Tank and it skipped a few times to start, then it ran smooth for a few minutes, it seemed like great high def picture quality. It has commercials, that you have to watch for 2 minutes, it has a timer which is nice because it lets you figure out how long you've got to go do something. I obviously hate watching the commercials, and because i have to open my phone and go to an app to change the channel i ending up watching them...plus you have to watch the commercial before you can resume the show even if you change the channel.

It was dead about 40 minutes in...it just started presenting an error on every channel except for youtube red content. I tried closing the app and reopening, reconnecting to Wifi etc...couldn't get it to resume.

This doesnt sound promising lol

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
This doesnt sound promising lol

I tried it again today and didnt have nearly the amount of issues...i guess i need to retrain myself though because im so used to a remote...it's a burden to have to do it on my phone. If they had a Roku youtube tv app it would be great.

Since i have two rokus in the house, it's kind of a deal breaker. I ended up cancelling the subscription they enroll you in when you sign up for the trial.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
I tried it again today and didnt have nearly the amount of issues...i guess i need to retrain myself though because im so used to a remote...it's a burden to have to do it on my phone. If they had a Roku youtube tv app it would be great.

Since i have two rokus in the house, it's kind of a deal breaker. I ended up cancelling the subscription they enroll you in when you sign up for the trial.

Did you try out the Hulu Live trial yet? They have an app on Roku and it's actually pretty solid. I'd be interested to know how it goes with your speeds. I do have some buffering issues at 100mbps, but honestly I think all of these live streaming apps have their hiccups no matter what. Still not enough of an issue for me to go back to cable though.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Did you try out the Hulu Live trial yet? They have an app on Roku and it's actually pretty solid. I'd be interested to know how it goes with your speeds. I do have some buffering issues at 100mbps, but honestly I think all of these live streaming apps have their hiccups no matter what. Still not enough of an issue for me to go back to cable though.

Im gonna try it, havent yet. do you have to do everything through an app on your phone or does it work with your standard tv remote?

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Im gonna try it, havent yet. do you have to do everything through an app on your phone or does it work with your standard tv remote?
It works great using the Roku remote. I also have a Chromecast in the bedroom which you need to use with the app on your phone. The remote is definitely much better.

Reactions: Danko

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I bought a Roku Ultra a few weeks back and they have a dedicated button the remote for SlingTV, im gonna give it a shot. It looks like it has the right mix of channels

AMC, TBS, TNT, NBCSN, NBC Regional Sports Networks in the blue package

Then i can add on NHL network for $10 a month, Hbo for $10 a month, and then theres a package of 4 extra add ons for 10 a month which would include some of the viacom channels and comedy channels... with the cloud dvr i think i would be at around $55 a month

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I bought a Roku Ultra a few weeks back and they have a dedicated button the remote for SlingTV, im gonna give it a shot. It looks like it has the right mix of channels

AMC, TBS, TNT, NBCSN, NBC Regional Sports Networks in the blue package

Then i can add on NHL network for $10 a month, Hbo for $10 a month, and then theres a package of 4 extra add ons for 10 a month which would include some of the viacom channels and comedy channels... with the cloud dvr i think i would be at around $55 a month

How much are "just internet" packages going for nowadays?

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
How much are "just internet" packages going for nowadays?
I just looked at Comcast and they have a 400mb internet plan for 12 months, no term agreement at $79.99 Just have to remember to cancel it after 12 months...

Verizon has a $79.99 Gigabit ethernet plan with 1 year of Netflix included, however you have to rent there modem which is another 10-15 bucks a month maybe more

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad