Cable alternative to flyers games

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
I bought a Roku Ultra a few weeks back and they have a dedicated button the remote for SlingTV, im gonna give it a shot. It looks like it has the right mix of channels

AMC, TBS, TNT, NBCSN, NBC Regional Sports Networks in the blue package

Then i can add on NHL network for $10 a month, Hbo for $10 a month, and then theres a package of 4 extra add ons for 10 a month which would include some of the viacom channels and comedy channels... with the cloud dvr i think i would be at around $55 a month

Are you sure NBC Sports Philly is on Sling TV? Last I checked they only had NBCSN in certain markets. This is from their website: "Eligible channels are NBC Sports Washington, NBC Sports Chicago, NBC Sports California and NBC Sports Bay Area."

The Roku Ultra I have has the Sling TV dedicated button along with the Hulu one as well. I read that depending on where you bought the Roku from, the 4 buttons may be a bit different. I wish they gave the option to make those 4 buttons programmable so you could change them to whatever you wanted.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Are you sure NBC Sports Philly is on Sling TV? Last I checked they only had NBCSN in certain markets. This is from their website: "Eligible channels are NBC Sports Washington, NBC Sports Chicago, NBC Sports California and NBC Sports Bay Area."

The Roku Ultra I have has the Sling TV dedicated button along with the Hulu one as well. I read that depending on where you bought the Roku from, the 4 buttons may be a bit different. I wish they gave the option to make those 4 buttons programmable so you could change them to whatever you wanted.

They have a customer service number, im gonna end up calling if they dont have the nbc sports philly, but it says nbc regional sports networks....i do see the washington one listed in the standard channel listings but didnt see philly. Im down to Hulu and Sling...hoping Sling has it because im ready to switch.

Reactions: TroutHockey

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
They have a customer service number, im gonna end up calling if they dont have the nbc sports philly, but it says nbc regional sports networks....i do see the washington one listed in the standard channel listings but didnt see philly. Im down to Hulu and Sling...hoping Sling has it because im ready to switch.

Let me know how Sling ends up working out for you on the trial. They have Comedy Central, which is really the only channel that Hulu doesn't have that I kind of miss. Best part about these streaming services is you can cancel anytime and jump to another one with no penalty.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm wondering if anything new has popped up or if anything has changed since this was being discussed a while back. I just noticed my Verizon bill went up yet again and I'm wondering if it's time that I cut the cord. I'm considering Hulu Live TV which I believe is $45/Month and carries both NBCSN Philly and NBCSN Philly+ so I'll be able to watch all of the Flyers games. I don't watch much TV and to be honest the only reason we even still have cable is so I can watch Flyers games but my wife has been killing me lately and thinking about essentially paying $1,500+ a year to watch the Flyers is kind of insane. I have the 25/25 internet service with Fios and I'm wondering if I'll need to upgrade that to stream without lagging?

Anyway, whats the best option for watching all of the Flyers games and some other Live TV. I have a couple firesticks so it's a bonus if I can use those.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm wondering if anything new has popped up or if anything has changed since this was being discussed a while back. I just noticed my Verizon bill went up yet again and I'm wondering if it's time that I cut the cord. I'm considering Hulu Live TV which I believe is $45/Month and carries both NBCSN Philly and NBCSN Philly+ so I'll be able to watch all of the Flyers games. I don't watch much TV and to be honest the only reason we even still have cable is so I can watch Flyers games but my wife has been killing me lately and thinking about essentially paying $1,500+ a year to watch the Flyers is kind of insane. I have the 25/25 internet service with Fios and I'm wondering if I'll need to upgrade that to stream without lagging?

Anyway, whats the best option for watching all of the Flyers games and some other Live TV. I have a couple firesticks so it's a bonus if I can use those.
I hear you. Literally all I watch on TV are the Flyers & Tucker Carlson. Would love to not spend $150/month.

Reactions: StoneHands

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

The issue I am having is that none of the best options to stream the Flyers also have the option to stream NHL Network, which I do watch quite often during the season. If Hulu Live or another streamings services gives me both of those options to stream, I am cutting the cord instantly. I'm not in a contract right now with XFinity.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I hear you. Literally all I watch on TV are the Flyers & Tucker Carlson. Would love to not spend $150/month.
My bill is now up to $200 including internet and we watch Netflix way more than Live TV. My wife watches a couple shows on things like NBC but for the most part we use cable TV for 2-3 hours a week tops between May and October. I just can't do it anymore especially knowing that there are options out there to watch everything we currently watch for what I can only imagine would be half the price.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
My bill is now up to $200 including internet and we watch Netflix way more than Live TV. My wife watches a couple shows on things like NBC but for the most part we use cable TV for 2-3 hours a week tops between May and October. I just can't do it anymore especially knowing that there are options out there to watch everything we currently watch for what I can only imagine would be half the price.

Looks like the current Internet only deals from Comcast are ranging from $35 - $75. Add in the $45 for Hulu Live TV, a modem rental fee of $13 (unless you own your own) and you are looking at between $93 and $133 per month + tax.

I'm currently paying $175 total but my bill is going up $30 on 10/5 due my Double Play promo expiring. I am considering cutting the cord then. Maybe I will look into NHL.tv for the season to replace NHL Network. It costs $139.99 for the season or $24.99 per month. I would definitely end up saving big time.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
The issue I am having is that none of the best options to stream the Flyers also have the option to stream NHL Network, which I do watch quite often during the season. If Hulu Live or another streamings services gives me both of those options to stream, I am cutting the cord instantly. I'm not in a contract right now with XFinity.

This is the only thing I miss after going to Hulu. Used to have NHL Network on all the time in the background while doing other things. Really don't have any other issues with Hulu at this point. Early on in the beta phase there were some buffering issues but I haven't experienced them recently.

Reactions: Rebels57

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
This is the only thing I miss after going to Hulu. Used to have NHL Network on all the time in the background while doing other things. Really don't have any other issues with Hulu at this point. Early on in the beta phase there were some buffering issues but I haven't experienced them recently.
What internet speed do you have? I've never streamed live TV but I'm wondering if it's going to need faster speed than just streaming Netflix? I really don't need any buffering during a 3rd period breakaway in a tie game.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
What internet speed do you have? I've never streamed live TV but I'm wondering if it's going to need faster speed than just streaming Netflix? I really don't need any buffering during a 3rd period breakaway in a tie game.
I have 100/100 through Verizon Fios. I'm pretty sure Hulu has a free trial period. Might be worth checking out how it works with your current speeds.

Reactions: StoneHands

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Does anyone know what speed internet I would need if I went with Comcast over Verizon?

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
r/NHL_Games. Free. Download the program. Run the executable file. ~monthly updates

On demand games in HD across the NHL in 60 fps, including replays of full games. How I'd watch after work at 2am

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Yes it does.

And even if you’re not. I live in f***ing Asbury Park, firmly in Rangers/Devils broadcast territory, and NHL.tv blacks out the Flyers just because—not that any TV provider around here offers NBCSP. The blackout ends about four miles up the road. Center Ice it is for me, meaning I have to keep my $135 Verizon plus the $160 annual package, but I just end up watching lots and lots of hockey because of that.

Oddly enough, MLB At Bat does not black out the Phillies here.

Just go find any angry uninformed racist in any bar, tie a bowtie on him, and you can basically replace that programming block for just the price of his Busch cans.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
And even if you’re not. I live in ****ing Asbury Park, firmly in Rangers/Devils broadcast territory, and NHL.tv blacks out the Flyers just because—not that any TV provider around here offers NBCSP. The blackout ends about four miles up the road. Center Ice it is for me, meaning I have to keep my $135 Verizon plus the $160 annual package, but I just end up watching lots and lots of hockey because of that.

Oddly enough, MLB At Bat does not black out the Phillies here.

Just go find any angry uninformed racist in any bar, tie a bowtie on him, and you can basically replace that programming block for just the price of his Busch cans.

Lumping Carlson in with a group is lazy. His opinions are nuanced and intelligent. I disagree with him on some things, but he's about as independent as you're going to find on TV.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Lumping Carlson in with a group is lazy. His opinions are nuanced and intelligent. I disagree with him on some things, but he's about as independent as you're going to find on TV.

eh we’re gonna get slapped for the digression, but I’ll full-heartedly dispute that with you in direct messages if needed. we’re just reaching critical mass with some really troubling shit in this country and...yeah, not good. we’ll keep that outta the thread.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
eh we’re gonna get slapped for the digression, but I’ll full-heartedly dispute that with you in direct messages if needed. we’re just reaching critical mass with some really troubling **** in this country and...yeah, not good. we’ll keep that outta the thread.
I dislike both political parties. I've voted for more democrats in my life than republicans. But I think the democratic party has careened off the rails. Carlson is closest to my style. There are plenty of republicans he despises. But I'll be happy to continue this off-board.

Reactions: God Bless Mr Gritty

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
eh we’re gonna get slapped for the digression, but I’ll full-heartedly dispute that with you in direct messages if needed. we’re just reaching critical mass with some really troubling **** in this country and...yeah, not good. we’ll keep that outta the thread.
I’d love to join in this DM political talk because I love politics, especially people who lie at the extreme ends of the political spectrum....
———
Back to this thread
———
It seems as if Hulu Live/TV is the way to go? With good internet, my guess is that my yearly savings would be approximately $360-420 a year. I do like to watch TV when I work from home as white noise.

I’ll definitely check out that channel list someone posted. Hopefully Disney+ comes out with their own TV steaming service or Netflix.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad