C Sean Monahan (2013, 6th overall, Calgary)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kekumba

Jan 24, 2008
Ottawa
Almost had the hat trick (at least, I believe it was him, announcers and video quality is poor), hit the post on a wide open net.

Fearless Leaf*

Really want him on the Leafs, his style of game would fit perfectly between Kessel and Lupul/JVR. Him or Barkov would fill a big need.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Only watched the 2 games or whatever he was on Friday Night Hockey last year. Haven't seen him this year. From what I gather and on YouTube he's basically the Couturier/Jordan Staal of this year? These players get highly underrated IMO.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Only watched the 2 games or whatever he was on Friday Night Hockey last year. Haven't seen him this year. From what I gather and on YouTube he's basically the Couturier/Jordan Staal of this year? These players get highly underrated IMO.

He doesn't have their size but his 3 zone awareness is definitely similar.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
He doesn't have their size but his 3 zone awareness is definitely similar.

So a pretty strong candidate to jump straight into the NHL after his draft I surmise? How does Brandon Sutter with a touch more offense sound (45-65 pt range)?

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Obviously no comparisons are perfect, Monahan is his own player, but he reminds me the most of Eric Staal when I've seen him play, though a couple inches shorter. Really like the kid, not flashy but works hard, goes to the net, and finishes very well, not hard to see him turning into a top 6 centre in the NHL. He was great in the Canada-Russia Challenge, I wonder if that'll give him a shot to make the WJC team? He could look good in a role similar to the one Couturier got in his draft year.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Obviously no comparisons are perfect, Monahan is his own player, but he reminds me the most of Eric Staal when I've seen him play, though a couple inches shorter. Really like the kid, not flashy but works hard, goes to the net, and finishes very well, not hard to see him turning into a top 6 centre in the NHL. He was great in the Canada-Russia Challenge, I wonder if that'll give him a shot to make the WJC team? He could look good in a role similar to the one Couturier got in his draft year.

This is the comparison that I keep walking away with. I think your looking at a strong 2-way C, with good offensive upside. I think he will be a 65 - 80pt C. Not quite the same numbers that Staal puts up, but same style of play.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
So a pretty strong candidate to jump straight into the NHL after his draft I surmise? How does Brandon Sutter with a touch more offense sound (45-65 pt range)?

He isn't a heat seeking missile like Sutter is. Monahan isn't soft but his game isn't exactly going out there and searching for physical contact.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He isn't a heat seeking missile like Sutter is. Monahan isn't soft but his game isn't exactly going out there and searching for physical contact.
Brandon Sutter is really not a big time hitter at all. Works very hard, solid positionally with a good stick, and definitely not afraid of contact, but I wouldn't describe him as a "heat seeking missile." Not even remotely close to as physical as guys like Brown, Callahan, Backes, Hanzal, etc. who just go out looking to finish every check every time. He never stood out to me as one of the most physical Canes players.

FWIW, I think Sutter with more offensive talent is a decent comparison. Monahan seems to have a more solid/powerful build too, Sutter was an absolute beanpole in his dub days, and he's still fairly skinny.

Last edited:

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

I think there's a limit to offensive upside but he is one of those guys where I think many may underestimate it just because he doesn't have any flash. Kid makes outstanding reads all game though. Will not hurt you. He's always frustrating opposition and never flustered.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

This is the comparison that I keep walking away with. I think your looking at a strong 2-way C, with good offensive upside. I think he will be a 65 - 80pt C. Not quite the same numbers that Staal puts up, but same style of play.

It's pretty much the best comparison I've got too. Both aren't exactly strong skaters.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Looks like the only player to show up for 67's tonight... 2G 1A. in a 8-3 loss.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
I just see a younger version of Sean Couturier, which is awesome.

Could definitely become a 2-way, #1C like Couturier's upside.

Great prospect.

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
I just see a younger version of Sean Couturier, which is awesome.

Could definitely become a 2-way, #1C like Couturier's upside.

Great prospect.

I agree, their stick work and ability to read plays are very similar. That being said I think Monahan is a bit better of a skater, and has a little more offensive prowess. But Couturier is definitely his best comparable.:handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad