C Sean Monahan (2013, 6th overall, Calgary)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Monahan's early '94 October birthday makes him eligible for the 2013 NHL draft. The 16 year old Brampton native is currently the 67's second line center between overagers Thomas Nesbitt and Cody Lindsay. He's excelling in this role on a legitimate Memorial Cup contender and by no means ridding on the coattails of his experienced linemates. He has 15 points in his last 12 games and has shown continuous improvement throughout the OHL season after struggling to produce early on. He's managed to claw his way up a good line up.

He also had a Brilliant u17 where he scored 2 goals (including the GWG) in the final vs the USA for Team Ontario. In that game, he had a horrendous play that led to USA taking the lead, but he would regroup to score the tying goal and the winner.

His greatest strengths in my opinion, are his playmaking and vision. He's made some incredible passes of the highlight variety over the past few weeks in the OHL and developed great chemistry with his line mates. At 6'2 and 180lbs, he's also already capable of protecting the puck very well and dominating the cycle, something you love to see in playmaking NHL center prospects.

He seems like a very intelligent player with a high understanding of the offensive and defensive side of the game.

Although his skating is not a problem, I'd like to see it improve. He's strong on his edges but needs an extra gear to be an elite player.

Monahan is certainly looking like a top 10 pick in June of 2013. Now you know.

Leaf Fever

Mar 20, 2008
What really impresses me about Monahan is his hockey sense and ability to read plays. From watching him in Ottawa, he seems to have a knack (sp?) for knowing where the puck is going to be before it gets there.

As the year has gone on he's improved immensely.

A sure-fire first rounder for 2013 imo.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I loved what I saw in the final of the U17's. A physical beast.

Lazarrr

Apr 10, 2010
Ottawa
I watch this kid almost ever game and I must say he's gonna be a stud in the NHL. IMO top 5 pick. To much potential to pass up.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I watched him a ton in January and was very impressed. There's a lot to like there. He's not only a fairly solid size for such a young player, but he works the boards and the cycle with maturity. The skill is there, and while the top end speed isn't outstanding yet, the stride and overall skating are promising. For a player who only popped up as an OHL first round candidate thanks to a fantastic OHL Cup tournament, it's really surprising how well he's played as a rookie.

When 16-year old rookies start to thrive in the second half it's always a good indication. Some tire out because of the longer schedule, but if you pick up your game as the season rolls along it's a sign of adjustment and improvement in spite of the challenge to your endurance and stamina. When Tyler Toffoli finished so strong a couple years ago at 16, you could tell he had a real shot at breaking out in his draft year (which he did minus a poor first month).

With his late birthday and strong play so far, he could end head into the 2013 Draft with a similar profile to Couturier this year. I doubt Monahan leads the OHL in scoring as a late-birthday 17 year old, but he might very well center Prince and Toffoli next year.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I watched him a ton in January and was very impressed. There's a lot to like there. He's not only a fairly solid size for such a young player, but he works the boards and the cycle with maturity. The skill is there, and while the top end speed isn't outstanding yet, the stride and overall skating are promising. For a player who only popped up as an OHL first round candidate thanks to a fantastic OHL Cup tournament, it's really surprising how well he's played as a rookie.

When 16-year old rookies start to thrive in the second half it's always a good indication. Some tire out because of the longer schedule, but if you pick up your game as the season rolls along it's a sign of adjustment and improvement in spite of the challenge to your endurance and stamina. When Tyler Toffoli finished so strong a couple years ago at 16, you could tell he had a real shot at breaking out in his draft year (which he did minus a poor first month).

With his late birthday and strong play so far, he could end head into the 2013 Draft with a similar profile to Couturier this year. I doubt Monahan leads the OHL in scoring as a late-birthday 17 year old, but he might very well center Prince and Toffoli next year.

Agree completely. Monahan has been one of the most impressive 1994's in the league this year. I'd actually say next to Galchenyuk, he's been the second most impressive forward.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Bump -

had his first OHL hattrick last week and followed it up with a 2 goal performance on the friday night. All this before his 17th birthday (its still 6 months away...)

Caught him live yesterday afternoon. Most people at the game were more impressed by Monahan than Toffoli or Landeskog.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
He plays such a mature game. Sounded like buzz about him is starting to get around. Look for his stats to inflate next year if he takes top line duty between Prince and Toffoli. That line may not skip a beat losing Martindale, and that's a pretty big compliment to where Monahan is right now.

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
www.thescoutingreport.org
Next year will be a very interesting one for Monahan. He's a guy that was teetering throughout his OHL draft year and after being one of the top guys at the OHL Cup, helping his club to the win, he really elevated his stock. I believe he was also named tournament MVP, but that's semantics.

If he can take another step in 11/12, you have to think he's going to be looking like a top guy for the 2013 Entry Draft. As some have mentioned, he's definitely been one of the more impressive 94's in an otherwise uninspiring age group for the OHL, and since he's moved into the Top 6, he's taken his game to another level.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
8 goals 3 assists in 6 games for Monahan in March.

Didn't see the whole game but looks like he took Shane Prince's LW spot as Prince is out with injury. Playing in all situations in today's game against Mississauga, goal and assist.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Next year will be a very interesting one for Monahan. He's a guy that was teetering throughout his OHL draft year and after being one of the top guys at the OHL Cup, helping his club to the win, he really elevated his stock. I believe he was also named tournament MVP, but that's semantics.

If he can take another step in 11/12, you have to think he's going to be looking like a top guy for the 2013 Entry Draft. As some have mentioned, he's definitely been one of the more impressive 94's in an otherwise uninspiring age group for the OHL, and since he's moved into the Top 6, he's taken his game to another level.

Im surprised you would catagorize the 94's in the OHL as "uninspiring". Ebert, Marcantuoni, Laughton, Gaunce and Gianluca Curcuruto have all come in and played quite well in my mind. Even secondary players like Finn have been better then I expected. Better transition to the OHL then the 93 group in my opinion.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah...liking his game more and more. I wonder if he'll end up in reach for the Sens next year. Would certainly be interesting to have him coming up if we do end up getting Landeskog/Zibanejad this year. In 4 years we could have a centre corps that looks like this:

Spezza - Monahan - Zibanejad - Smith?

Obviously quite a long ways off, but still it's cool looking.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Yeah...liking his game more and more. I wonder if he'll end up in reach for the Sens next year. Would certainly be interesting to have him coming up if we do end up getting Landeskog/Zibanejad this year. In 4 years we could have a centre corps that looks like this:

Longer ways off than you think, he's not draft eligible until 2013.

He's a big reason why the loss of Ryan Martindale may not be a huge deal.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

He's 2013.

TheBigE

Apr 2, 2009
The kid is a stud, simple as that. I wonder if he has a shot at the WJ team this year if he keeps production up.

obanga

Dec 11, 2008
3 point game vs Saginaw puts him tied for 3rd place in OHL scoring.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
His development has been insane. Ever since the OHL Cup in 2010, he's been on a tear. Would of been surprised if you told me a few years ago that he'd be the best '94 forward from Ontario (so far).

He always had the tool box, but he's putting it together a lot earlier than I thought. Probably the best 2013 eligible player from Ontario as of right now.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
His development has been insane. Ever since the OHL Cup in 2010, he's been on a tear. Would of been surprised if you told me a few years ago that he'd be the best '94 forward from Ontario (so far).

He always had the tool box, but he's putting it together a lot earlier than I thought. Probably the best 2013 eligible player from Ontario as of right now.

Agreed. He was even out there killing a 5 on 3 today. The 67s are doing a great job developing his all around game.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Monahan has been ridiculous to start this year. I'd be very impressed if he can keep this kind of pace up (highly doubt it) because right now he's looking like a potential #1 overall for the 2012 draft and he's not even eligible for another year.

12 points in 5 games is wild for a kid his age.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Monahan has been ridiculous to start this year. I'd be very impressed if he can keep this kind of pace up (highly doubt it) because right now he's looking like a potential #1 overall for the 2012 draft and he's not even eligible for another year.

12 points in 5 games is wild for a kid his age.

Well Martindale isn't coming back the Oilers decided to send him to the AHL instead so that leaves a vacant Centre position between Prince and Toffoli. Whether or not they mesh is one thing, but on paper it looks pretty nice.

Kershaw

Well Martindale isn't coming back the Oilers decided to send him to the AHL instead so that leaves a vacant Centre position between Prince and Toffoli. Whether or not they mesh is one thing, but on paper it looks pretty nice.

That probably means he'll take Martindale's spot on the 1st line. What a fascinating group of players the Ottawa team has, must be exciting for 67's fans.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
That probably means he'll take Martindale's spot on the 1st line. What a fascinating group of players the Ottawa team has, must be exciting for 67's fans.

I can't speak for all 67s fans but this is the most excited i've been for a season in a long time. One of the best things so far has been Cody Ceci taking his to a whole new level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad