C Sean Monahan (2013, 6th overall, Calgary)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I think if he keeps up his scoring after Toffoli and Prince leave next season, I think he could challenge for 1st overall...

Gervess

@Gervess
Jan 3, 2011
Gatineau, Quebec
I think if he keeps up his scoring after Toffoli and Prince leave next season, I think he could challenge for 1st overall...

Well I've seen 67's 4 times so far in the last month (in february) and he was barely playing with Prince or Toffoli, he was playing with Gustavsen and Dalton Smith, at one time then with Steven Janes, sometimes with Prince or Toffoli and with both on the PP and I can say that when he plays with Toffoli, he is the one doing everything, Toffoli just position himself to receive a pass and shoot it to the net or deflecting the shot. Monahan's going to be really good.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site

There's also a chance his stock slides a bit like Sean Couturier. He isn't going to be quite as hyped as Couturier was going into his draft year, but there are some legitimate similarities, both in terms of style of play and development trajectory.

Everybody who watches a lot of Monahan recognizes that his hockey sense is elite, and his overall package intriguing. But I wonder if scouts might start to pick apart certain aspects of his game. For example, he's not an outstanding skater, and therefore isn't as dynamic breaking through the neutral zone as most top 5 picks. A lot of two-way centres aren't, but he may not flash that game-breaking quality that people expect in potential first overall pick.

I could see Monahan competing for first overall, but I think there's an equally good chance that he goes in the second half of the top ten, sliding a bit because he'll enter the year well established already.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Without a doubt, he's within contention of 1st overall next year.

This kid was nothing but clutch in Minor Midget. If you look up "complete player" in the dictionary, there's a picture of Monahan there.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
There's also a chance his stock slides a bit like Sean Couturier. He isn't going to be quite as hyped as Couturier was going into his draft year, but there are some legitimate similarities, both in terms of style of play and development trajectory.

Everybody who watches a lot of Monahan recognizes that his hockey sense is elite, and his overall package intriguing. But I wonder if scouts might start to pick apart certain aspects of his game. For example, he's not an outstanding skater, and therefore isn't as dynamic breaking through the neutral zone as most top 5 picks. A lot of two-way centres aren't, but he may not flash that game-breaking quality that people expect in potential first overall pick.

I could see Monahan competing for first overall, but I think there's an equally good chance that he goes in the second half of the top ten, sliding a bit because he'll enter the year well established already.

Agreed completely.

It could go either way.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA

That's the key. The reverse Brady Vail. He needs to add some bulk too and show that he can skate with it.

I absolutely agree with all who love this player though. He's so close to prototypical of what anyone would want in a hard nosed all situations player that it's scary.

headwire

Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
I was watching the Belleville Bulls/Ottawa 67's game on 30 March and was very impressed by Monahan. Not only was he an obviously skilled player, but he was one of the smartest players on the ice.

I look forward to watching him play in the NHL, hopefully for the Leafs!

Kekumba

Jan 24, 2008
Ottawa
Indeed. Was sitting front row in the corner last night so I could only get a real good view in one end, but he was extremely impressive. I guess he could have been a bit stronger on the backcheck for the second goal against (I mean he caught him, but...), but nonetheless, he was very good.

Fearless Leaf*

The more I watch him, the more I see him putting on a blue & white sweater come draft day.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
He'd go top 10 this year if he was able to be drafted. Im a big fan of his, absolute amazing in his first two OHL seasons, couldnt have asked for more. I have him right behind Mackinnon, and Jones in rankings for the 2013 draft, he really could be the next Toews like ILoveChrisNeil said, saw it right away when i first watched him.

Tsundere

Oct 22, 2009
Montreal
He'd go top 10 this year if he was able to be drafted. Im a big fan of his, absolute amazing in his first two OHL seasons, couldnt have asked for more. I have him right behind Mackinnon, and Jones in rankings for the 2013 draft, he really could be the next Toews like ILoveChrisNeil said, saw it right away when i first watched him.

McKinnon, Shinkaruk, Jones, Monahan, Barkov, A.Forsberg can crack this years top 10 if they were eligible... Some even ahead of the top 3 and there is no exaggeration in that.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
McKinnon, Shinkaruk, Jones, Monahan, Barkov, A.Forsberg can crack this years top 10 if they were eligible... Some even ahead of the top 3 and there is no exaggeration in that.

I cant see Alex Forsberg cracking top 10 this year or next year, top 15. Only prospects id take top 3 this year would be Mackinnon and Jones. But next years draft is crazy deep, as ive stated before top 10 talent will go in the top 20.

Please no!! I don't want to hate my favourite 67!! :p:

Unless its Tampa. Then that'd be OK.

Sounds good to me :naughty:

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I know ILoveChrisNeil and I bash this out constantly, but this guy could and in my opinion should go TOP 3 next year.

He reminds me so much of Toews it's unbelievable. One of the most clutch players I've seen IN MY ENTIRE LIFE, he almost single handedly won the OHL Cup for Missausauga, scored 2 goals for Team Canada in the Gold Medal of the U17's, came up huge time and time again for the 67s.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Great player. Would be amazing if Ottawa found a way to snag him this year...however it is quite unlikely. As long as he doesn't end up in Toronto I'm fine with it.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
I think hes in tough against Mackinnon and Jones but he will be a top 5 pick for sure. Right now I have him 3rd... 1st Mackinnon 2nd Jones 3rd Monahan 4th Lazar 5th Barkov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad