C Sean Monahan (2013, 6th overall, Calgary)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Love the stick checking, and the pocket picking. Really a very good defensive forward. Really uses that hockey sense effectively in the defensive zone when positioning himself and making the decision to attack the puck carrier.

Obviously a very talented offensive player, too. Cleary effective. And you can see it in all the highlights. Great passing skills with good vision, and a nice shot.

Doesn't appear to be particularly physically engaged in either zone and isn't exactly one of the determined, high motor players. Just quiet, smart, and effective.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Alexander Barkov lite. Same play style- Barkov is just little better. I think.

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
Monahan's offensive instincts >> Couturier's. He's also just as good if not better defensively.

Just as MoO said.

And yes. I've seen TONS of Sean Couturier.

Monahan is very good, but lets not re-write history.

Couturier had more PPG, Mononucleosis, and a better +/-

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
Monahan is very good, but lets not re-write history.

Couturier had more PPG, Mononucleosis, and a better +/-

Monahan has a 1.72PPG right now, Couturier had a 1.65PPG in his draft year. Plus-minus is irrelevant when players are on different teams.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Monahan has a 1.72PPG right now, Couturier had a 1.65PPG in his draft year. Plus-minus is irrelevant when players are on different teams.

I agree aslong as its not a glaring difference... Or one player is on a good team with a poor +/- (that could be cause for concern.)

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Couturier and Monahan both have elite hockey sense (it's Couturier's best attribute) compared to their peers in their draft year.

Both have great offensive instincts, especially playmaking.

Monahan is probably a better goal scorer and skater, but Couturier was one of the best defensive rookie centers that I have seen.

Both are safe players because of their complete game.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I find +- a pretty pointless stat in junior hockey, even point totals are not all that important.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Yep, they are most definitely in the top thirty in terms of fit.

aha yeah, might even crack the top 25 :laugh:

1. Hometown kid and leaf fan.
2. Prospect that the franchise has been craving down to a freaking tee.
3. If season is played, in probable drafting range.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Holy crap, he's an OHL kid an there's an NHL team that wants to draft a legitimate, true #1 center?

Quit being so cynical, I find it a neat occurrence that Toronto has a chance to nab a player so perfectly fitted to their team, with an awesome background story to match. This would make it a tad bit neater if they were to grab him than any other team in the NHL. I'm not being motivated by self-interest, what weight does my opinion of a player in a thread actually have on what team said player will be picked by?

rt

May 13, 2004
I'm not being cynical. He's an amazing fit for every single team in the NHL. Every team in the world, really. It's great that he was a Leafs fan when he was a kid. Aren't the Leafs the most popular team in the world? I'm sure Tavares and Hall were Leafs fans too.

I'm not so cynical that I didn't think it was great that Duchene went to Colorado, or Geoffrion to Nashville, or Samuelsson to Phoenix. These are semi unique situations. Amazing, top flight hockey players, who play a highly coveted position that hail from the greater Toronto area exist in the top half of every draft.

Security Guard Chang*

Hes a perfect fit for Ottawa. Home town player . Has already spent time playing at ScotiaBank Place. Has chem with Ceci, IMO much better fit than leafs

:l

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
I'm not being cynical. He's an amazing fit for every single team in the NHL. Every team in the world, really. It's great that he was a Leafs fan when he was a kid. Aren't the Leafs the most popular team in the world? I'm sure Tavares and Hall were Leafs fans too.

I'm not so cynical that I didn't think it was great that Duchene went to Colorado, or Geoffrion to Nashville, or Samuelsson to Phoenix. These are semi unique situations. Amazing, top flight hockey players, who play a highly coveted position that hail from the greater Toronto area exist in the top half of every draft.

This.

The thing that makes Monahan such a great prospect is his ability to play any style of hockey. Run and gun, trap game, what ever style the team plays he'll be a great player.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario

I find this argument fair enough. I just felt as though my statement was being slighted without any real substance or argument. There are many great players to come out of the GTA, players that every team would love to have.

rt

May 13, 2004
I find this argument fair enough. I just felt as though my statement was being slighted without any real substance or argument. There are many great players to come out of the GTA, players that every team would love to have.

You are correct. I was attacking your post without any reasonable excuse. The Leafs have the largest fan base in the league and more members of this forum are fans of the Leafs than any other team. As a result, we often get to read about how every talented draft eligible player is a perfect fit for the Leafs, how every top UFA is a perfect fit for the Leafs, and how any top player will probably sign with the Leafs when he does hit UFA. None of this is your fault. There was nothing in your post that was ridiculous or out of line. It was a perfectly legitimate post. I'm just drunk, that's all. Haha.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
You are correct. I was attacking your post without any reasonable excuse. The Leafs have the largest fan base in the league and more members of this forum are fans of the Leafs than any other team. As a result, we often get to read about how every talented draft eligible player is a perfect fit for the Leafs, how every top UFA is a perfect fit for the Leafs, and how any top player will probably sign with the Leafs when he does hit UFA. None of this is your fault. There was nothing in your post that was ridiculous or out of line. It was a perfectly legitimate post. I'm just drunk, that's all. Haha.

Leafs fans get to all of us when we're drunk every now and then. It's part of being a hockey fan haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad