C Quinton Byfield - Sudbury Wolves, OHL (2020 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleemans2

Jan 15, 2017
With the exception of Connor McDavid, Byfield is easily the best prospect the Ohl has produced since Hall ad Stamkos. My feeling watching him last year is he reminded me of Lindros with the combination and strength as a 16 year old. Whether he goes one or not I don't know as I have to seen Lafreniere except on TV. I will say though he will not be in the Ohl next year. Not a lock for the wjc as Canada does not always like to take under agers to the tournament.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
scoring at a 2.66 PPG clip is impossible to maintain unless you have the talent of a Connor McDavid type of prospect. We all know he isn't that. anywhere at 1.75+ for the year and he's my #1OA pick.

I'm sort of hoping he isn't the #1OA that way freeing him up from the stupid unwritten rule that all #1OA picks get an automatic pass to a NHL roster. nothing wrong with him spending 1 more year in junior.

There have been a few #1OA picks the past 10 years who could have used another year or 2 of development time.

#2 OA picks also get that free pass though. Last non-goalie #2 not to make the NHL roster in his first year was David Legwand in 1998.

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
With the exception of Connor McDavid, Byfield is easily the best prospect the Ohl has produced since Hall ad Stamkos. My feeling watching him last year is he reminded me of Lindros with the combination and strength as a 16 year old. Whether he goes one or not I don't know as I have to seen Lafreniere except on TV. I will say though he will not be in the Ohl next year. Not a lock for the wjc as Canada does not always like to take under agers to the tournament.

Lafrenierre was on the WJC roster last year! If Byfield is better then him doesn’t he need to be on that roster?

Sleemans2

Jan 15, 2017
I do not disagree however historically Canada does not takeunder agers. If they do they end up as thirteenth forwards, Lafreniere, Mackinnon Stamkos started that way, Crosby, however he was 16, are examples coming to mind of those going.. Stalls, hall Nugent Hopkins, come to mind as non invites and or cuts and were high Draft picks the following year

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Regardless of draft position, a guy with his physical tools would preferably be up in the NHL the next year... he doesnt need to go back to the OHL to grow and become stronger to play with men at the NHL level, he has all that.

Pulju Propagandist

Jesse’s Bison
Jul 7, 2016
Fast, strong, very helpful in that he backchecks and makes smart plays in his own end. Man, what a player so far. Glad a place like Sudbury gets to watch this player.

Reactions: Dominance

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Unfortunately, the weakness of CHL will rear its ugly head with Byfield as well as post-draft, in the case he's not instantly NHL-ready, he'll need to return to juniors for a completely pointless season instead of being able to develop in AHL in a significantly more productive manner.

Reactions: flamebird

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Unfortunately, the weakness of CHL will rear its ugly head with Byfield as well as post-draft, in the case he's not instantly NHL-ready, he'll need to return to juniors for a completely pointless season instead of being able to develop in AHL in a significantly more productive manner.
Yeah the CHL is awful never develops good players really.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

The CHL is the best development league in the world, by a substantial margin.

Reactions: yalbmert25

WildWillie

Jan 9, 2019

Yeah it really held former CHL superstars back eh..... Crosby, Mackinnon, Tavares, Kane, Stamkos, McDavid, Hall.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
substantial?
um no

Are you suggesting that cumulatively the WHL, OHL, and QMJHL don’t produce the most NHL players by a “substantial” margin?

The CHL is the best development league for NHL talent in the world. Period.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Are you suggesting that cumulatively the WHL, OHL, and QMJHL don’t produce the most NHL players by a “substantial” margin?

You said it is the best development league in the world by a substantial margin.
But numbers say otherwise with it dropping, so no it isnt "substantially" better

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
You said it is the best development league in the world by a substantial margin.
But numbers say otherwise with it dropping, so no it isnt "substantially" better

Man, you’re really digging your heels in eh? Go see who the greatest players in the history of our game and current best players are from. See where they developed.

I’m assuming you’re an NCAA guy being in Colorado.

Having an NHL - CHL agreement that requires their best players to stay back and play in their 19 year old season if they aren’t NHL ready prepares them. But it also prepares the 16 and 17 year old phenoms that play against those top older players.

Your dismissiveness of the CHL could use some research on your part. The WHL, OHL, and QMJHL produce the best players now, and historically.

Reactions: OSA and Dominance

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yeah it really held former CHL superstars back eh..... Crosby, Mackinnon, Tavares, Kane, Stamkos, McDavid, Hall.
All of those played in NHL immediately after draft so your comment has nothing to do with what I said.
What that's mostly about in my opinion is simply that that's where the Canadian players play. If Canadians played somewhere else, that'd be "the strongest development league", regardless of the quality of the actual design of the league.

I'm not sure if people have reading comprehension issues or something? I didn't call CHL a weak development league, just said that its weakness of being unable to play in AHL post-draft is an issue. It's pretty frustrating having people argue against points that weren't made.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Man, you’re really digging your heels in eh? Go see who the greatest players in the history of our game and current best players. See where they developed.

Having an NHL - CHL agreement that requires their best players to stay back and play in their 19 year old season if they aren’t NHL ready prepares them. But it also prepares the 16 and 17 year old phenoms that play against those top older players.

Your dismissiveness of the CHL could use some research on your part.
Certainly the CHL, which is effectively three different leagues in a hockey-crazed country, is an excellent developmental league, and the NHL-CHL agreement has benefitted it greatly. We can debate till the cows come home whether it is good that a player is hand-cuffed back to the CHL when he may or may not be ready for lower levels of pro hockey. In the NCAA, which is something akin to a U24 league and much more top-heavy, the league would also benefit greatly if teams were mandated to send a player back to college if they were not going straight to play in the show. Whether that is in the upper-echelon would-be AHL player's best interest, again we could argue all day, but it would certainly help the league the way it has helped the CHL greatly, by allowing the lower-tier prospects to ply their trade against pro-ready players.

In the NCAA's case they actually get hurt because teams are afraid a player will use the clause which allows them to sign with another team. Circumstances like that effect a player's developmental track a lot more than people recognize

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City

Well it is the development league for the country that produces the most NHL talent. Whether it's actually "better" at development than leagues that don't have access to the same pool of talent, it's impossible to say.

Either way, I'm pretty sure that was meant was simply that the level of play in the CHL is weak for a player the caliber of Byfield, compared to prospects playing in pro leagues like Holtz, Raymond and Lundell. I personally don't agree that it'll hold players like Byfield and Lafrenière back, though.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Man, you’re really digging your heels in eh? Go see who the greatest players in the history of our game and current best players. See where they developed.

Your dismissiveness of the CHL could use some research on your part. The WHL, OHL, and QMJHL produce the best players now, and historically.

Im not dismissive, it is a good developmental league, but not substanitally over everyone else like you claim.
also you should do some research

Last years draft was the worst for the CHL in the last 10 years, and it was the 5th consecutive year for it dropping with players taken.
Boston winnipeg and Deroit didnt draft a single player from the CHL on 2019. Not a single ONE.
2nd worst year for the WHL in the past 10, worst year for the OHL in the past 10.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Im not dismissive, it is a good developmental league, but not substanitally over everyone else like you claim.
also you should do some research

Last years draft was the worst for the CHL in the last 10 years, and it was the 5th consecutive year for it dropping with players taken.
Boston winnipeg and Deroit didnt draft a single player from the CHL on 2019. Not a single ONE.
2nd worst year for the WHL in the past 10, worst year for the OHL in the past 10.

What a ludicrous attempt at trying to reinforce your argument. There were 28 other teams that did, so what if there weren't any CHLers taken among the 21 players collectively drafted by these three teams?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
What a ludicrous attempt at trying to reinforce your argument. There were 28 other teams that did, so what if there weren't any CHLers taken among the 21 players collectively drafted by these three teams?
Getting drafted also means nothing, what's important is whether the player develops and becomes an NHL player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad