C Quinton Byfield - Sudbury Wolves, OHL (2020 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Hall, Stamkos, Mackinnon, McDavid and Lafreniere and Byfield

Hall was 17 and didn't led his team in scoring, he was 3rd.

Stamkos fits.
Mac fits
We all know about McDavid
Lafreneire late birthday but he fits technically.

Such a huge list right?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Hall was 17 and didn't led his team in scoring, he was 3rd.

Stamkos fits.
Mac fits
We all know about McDavid
Lafreneire late birthday but he fits technically.

Such a huge list right?

Hall was not 17...? How does Lafreniere “technically” count? He was 17 when he put up 103pts..16 when he had 42 goals and 80pts.

And that’s my point. The list of players who put up the type of numbers Lafreniere did when he was 16 is very rare and essentially always end up 1st overall if they do (especially if followed up by being CHL player of the year like Lafreniere). You could add Tavares as well since I forgot about him for some reason.

The list of players who were PPG or near PPG in their rookie year is much, much longer.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
All this arguing over Byfield and Lafreniere and I am just sitting here over the moon that we got two studs worthy of this kind of debate in Canada this year.

Absolutely. I’ll be absolutely thrilled if all of Lapierre/Byfield/Perfetti close the gap between them and Lafreniere.

Helps that the Wings should be comfortably in the bottom 5 this season too.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
All this arguing over Byfield and Lafreniere and I am just sitting here over the moon that we got two studs worthy of this kind of debate in Canada this year.

For sure. Canada needed this tbh. We do have a reputation to uphold, after all.

Ive said it before but this is 100% the Ovy and Malkin draft v2.0- Canadiana style. Hall and Seguin works too, but I really feel like this Ovg and Malkin are more comparable style wise, and it terms of the caliber of prospects.

Alex and Alexis are both tanky goal scoring wingers that were billed as blue chip franchise level players. Both were known well before their draft as the guys that were destined for 1st OV. And they both got to marinade for an extra year, and are among the oldest players in their drafts. The hype was extremely comparable tbh, Ovy wasnt quite at the hype level of Crosby or Mcdavid, just a notch or two below it. Much like Alexis.

But fwiw, Ovy somehow ended up exceeding his draft hype when he got to the NHL. imo, which is incredible when you think about. The lockout also delayed his arrival in the NHL. This is all beside the point, but worth noting for sure for those who missed the draft in 04. Ovy wasnt a Crosby leve

Malkin on the other hand is just like Byfield. Hes a summer born kid at the tail end of his draft group, and was much more of a mystery box at the start of his draft year. Both were far less accomplished than their draft rivals who had already been in the spotlight for years before.

But by the time the draft actually happened, Makin had emerged as a beast of a prospect, and this was a two horse race. He was a giant center oozing with raw skill and god given tools, and this is without question the type of player that every team covets above all else, hands down. Even if you already have one player like Malkin on your team, having two is an equally intoxicating thought for most teams.

Having said that neither Washington or Pittsburgh would change a thing in hindsight, if I had a guess. And they would both be correct in doing so. And I can see the same thing happening in 2020 with whoever is lucky enough to grab these two these kids. Lets all hope as hockey fans that they can have a similar impact to the one that those two Russian dynamos had (doubtful, but who knows).

Last edited:

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I wouldn't exactly say apples to apples. Byfield is going up against more NHL prospects on a game to game bases. The OHL is considered as a harder league to play in. If Laf was an OHL player it would be apples to apples

If you want to be OCD about it, then yeah, sure. Everybody is aware of the differences in the 3 leagues and particularly the Q's reputation. but I wouldn't give too much significance other than to say, Byflield scoring at a 1.75 PPG clip this year would be >> than Lafreniere scoring at a 1.72 PPG last year. It's almost statistically even, but advantage Byfield. It's just one more data point to plug into the overall evaluation.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Having quite the start isn't he? so early and this pace will almost certainly not last but if it did he would go first overall, I can't see how he wouldn't unless Laf or one of the other touted guys went even more completely nuts this season.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Having quite the start isn't he? so early and this pace will almost certainly not last but if it did he would go first overall, I can't see how he wouldn't unless Laf or one of the other touted guys went even more completely nuts this season.

Even if Lafreniere out produces him, the fact that Byfield is a full year younger, and plays the premier position tilts the scales for me. Not to mention being 6'5" 220 lbs.

Anyway, the seasons extremely young, so much will change between now and Draft Day.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Even if Lafreniere out produces him, the fact that Byfield is a full year younger, and plays the premier position tilts the scales for me. Not to mention being 6'5" 220 lbs.

Anyway, the seasons extremely young, so much will change between now and Draft Day.
All valid points.

I mean, with his size and skill set even if he "just" hits 100 pts this year I could not see him going any worse then 2nd, and he would still have a chance at the number one spot depending on how much the team picking likes his potential when he is fully developed.

Huge skilled centres with nice wheels, it's every teams number one wish.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Did we really need separate posts for all of that? But yeah, a nice start for the season.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
It'll be like the Taylor/Tyler draft all over again. The draft may be about BPA, but I personally see it as the best player available to fit that need.

I mean if I was Ottawa I'd go with Byfield, no better player for them to take at this point and could see him having incredible chemistry with Brady Tkachuk, and Thomas Chabot at the back end. And if Ottawa gets it together that team could be top contenders once again.

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton
Low key would not mind if the Oilers were bad this year with him and Laferinere at the top of the draft. Byfield is especially exciting for me considering his ceiling.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Low key would not mind if the Oilers were bad this year with him and Laferinere at the top of the draft. Byfield is especially exciting for me considering his ceiling.

The Oilers? Again?? Please kindly GTFO out of here with that kind of talk :nod:

Its time for that franchise to draft and develop some players from outside of the top of the draft. Every successful team does it - its mandatory in todays NHL. The oilers dont need another green franchise forward, they need to try a different approach imo. Like using that pick to acquire an elite Dman.

I would be wishing for some wins myself if I was an Oilers fan, McDavid is going to request a trade eventually if it the Oilers keep playing like they have been for the last 10 years.

I like the Oilers, and I hope they can figure it out. But as a fan of hockey, they need stay the hell away from Byfield and Laffreniere.

Reactions: EXTRAS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad