C Quinton Byfield - Sudbury Wolves, OHL (2020 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Yep. Wealth has always been the biggest obstacle for kids to get into hockey, especially at high levels. I enjoy seeing hockey picked up by other subcultures within Canada, but until we find ways to make it more accessible to anyone below the upper-middle class, we won't see the game reach its growth potential.

Amen.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Looked like he got hurt at the end of the game right before the empty netter, but I think hes gonna be okay.

Regardless, it was a huge night and dominating performance from him all game.

Reactions: d rake

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Now up to 24 in 11 games with 10 goals. He's not getting as many assists as Lafreniere but he's showing he is just as capable at scoring goals.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Now up to 24 in 11 games with 10 goals. He's not getting as many assists as Lafreniere but he's showing he is just as capable at scoring goals.
Shrug, almost a year of age difference. Last year, after 11 games Lafreniere had 4 goals and 13 assists for 17 points.

I think "just as capable" is selling Byfield's goal-scoring short, he quite clearly is proving to be the superior goal-scorer at this point.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Shrug, almost a year of age difference. Last year, after 11 games Lafreniere had 4 goals and 13 assists for 17 points.

I think "just as capable" is selling Byfield's goal-scoring short, he quite clearly is proving to be the superior goal-scorer at this point.

And Laf had 42 goals at 16, your bias against him is quite obvious. Regardless of who you think will be the better player, neither has proven to be the superior goal scorer.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Don't get me wrong I'm a huge Byfield fan but if I flat out say he's on the same level at the same age I'm going to get some hate.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Is Rick Nash a good comparable?
Reminds me more of Malkin. He’s a centre, and the way he skates and handles the puck is very, very similar to Geno.

Byfield is clearly contesting Lafreniere for first overall at this point.
Yeah, both are fantastic prospects. Very strong top 2 picks - much stronger than 2019 or 2017, and IMO stronger than 2018 too. Pretty on-par with Matthews/Laine in 2016.

Reactions: JuJu Mobb

ijuka

May 14, 2016
And Laf had 42 goals at 16, your bias against him is quite obvious. Regardless of who you think will be the better player, neither has proven to be the superior goal scorer.
I mean, that's just 5 goals more than last season, and I'd jot that down to variance.

On bolded, I think it's funny how whenever someone prefers someone over someone else, they're "biased". So tell me, what agenda do I have to prefer Byfield? Please.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011

So through their first CHL season + 11 games into their second, Byfield had 37 goals in 74 games while Lafreniere had 46 goals in 72 games. Lafreniere also score 5 goals in 5 Hlinka games, and 9 goals in 13 playoff games as a rookie, while Byfield scored 3 goals in 5 Hlinka games, and 3 goals in 8 playoff games as a rookie.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
So through their first CHL season + 11 games into their second, Byfield had 37 goals in 74 games while Lafreniere had 46 goals in 72 games. Lafreniere also score 5 goals in 5 Hlinka games, and 9 goals in 13 playoff games as a rookie, while Byfield scored 3 goals in 5 Hlinka games, and 3 goals in 8 playoff games as a rookie.
Yeah, except Byfield's massively improved play this season is a factor for me. In fact, the main factor.

Reactions: d rake and SAK11

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yeah, except Byfield's massively improved play this season is a factor for me. In fact, the main factor.

That's what I'm seeing to. There is a massive difference between the Byfield we are seeing now and the Byfield we saw at the Hlinka. My major gripe with him is he tends to over exert himself early on in games. He really needs to work on his pace of play sometimes. Obviously tonight he was on but many times you see him come out of the gate just flying. Then later on he is noticeably tired. Could be a playing time factor as well but he needs to work on stamina a little bit because he is likely going to be played similarly in the NHL. You just can't keep a kid like him off the ice when you need goals.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I mean, that's just 5 goals more than last season, and I'd jot that down to variance.

On bolded, I think it's funny how whenever someone prefers someone over someone else, they're "biased". So tell me, what agenda do I have to prefer Byfield? Please.
I don't know if it is a bias....or that people tend to fawn over the younger prospect when it more then likely won't mean a god damn thing.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't know if it is a bias....or that people tend to fawn over the younger prospect when it more then likely won't mean a god damn thing.

I think people are a lot more excited about the 6'5, 220 part combined with being almost a year younger. There isn't a single player in the entire game that compares to Byfield right now. No one could name someone that is even close at the same age.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I think people are a lot more excited about the 6'5, 220 part combined with being almost a year younger. There isn't a single player in the entire game that compares to Byfield right now. No one could name someone that is even close at the same age.
Yeah the size and speed combination is obviously extremely exciting and he is obviously a great player. But the age factor is mostly irrelevant at the top of the draft. Go down the list of the recent "older" top picks in the draft. It is one of the most over talked about things by people that follow prospects.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Yeah the size and speed combination is obviously extremely exciting and he is obviously a great player. But the age factor is mostly irrelevant at the top of the draft. Go down the list of the recent "older" top picks in the draft. It is one of the most over talked about things by people that follow prospects.

Yep when youre talking top 2 type picks, the age thing is never really brought up by actual scouts. That seems to matter when its tougher to project guys outside of the top 10 picks or so but ya, age isnt going to be the reason one of these guys go first or second.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016

Pretty dirty hit, should be a out for a few weeks as he is on concussion protocol. You hate to see a player of that caliber go down.

Saw him last night, had a very quiet 4 point performance. However, he's been absolutely dominate this year.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Pretty dirty hit, should be a out for a few weeks as he is on concussion protocol. You hate to see a player of that caliber go down.

Saw him last night, had a very quiet 4 point performance. However, he's been absolutely dominate this year.

Yikes that was dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad